Subscriber Discussion

Hikvision $250,000 Bar Tab

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Oct 16, 2017

I went to a Hikvision party a few years ago. I was told the bar tab was 250K by my regional rep, there were a lot of drunk truck slammers there. This is no different than any other industry, I would almost argue it doesn't exist as much in our industry. I have friends who are in sales in the oil industry and the stories I hear from them are CRAZY. Lots of money, a lot more than our industry and they go all out. 

NOTICE: This comment was moved from an existing discussion: Binge Drinking In This Industry?

Brian Karas
Oct 16, 2017
IPVM

A $250K bar tab is very believable, and I had seen/heard of higher at Avigilon.

That is part of the reason why these very large partner party events are relatively rare, or why you see some manufacturers that do them try to limit the number of attendees more strictly. Open bars, free hors d'oeuvres, and such add up quickly when you can draw 1,000+ people in a night. 

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Oct 16, 2017

A $250K bar tab is very believable, and I had seen/heard of higher at Avigilon.

Is the $250k news or is Hikvision?

Would this be the same if Avigilon or Sony or Pelco spent $250k on a bar tab?

(1)
(1)
(2)
Brian Karas
Oct 16, 2017
IPVM

Given their current state, if Sony spent $250,000 on a partner event bar tab I would say it would be pretty significant. 

(1)
(5)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Oct 16, 2017

Because I don't drink, I could care less about the open bar. This was a few years ago when we were selling a lot of Hikvision and I wanted to go and meet people, learn more about the company and find out what was coming out soon. I was a little disappointed that it wasn't more meet and greet as it could have been. IMO there are better ways to help your clients and spend money no matter which manufacturer is spending the money.

I personally like DMP events. They are always very well organized, attended and provide a lot of good information not just about DMP products but about best practices in the alarm industry. All manufacturers could learn a few things from DMP. 

JH
John Honovich
Oct 16, 2017
IPVM

Is the $250k news or is Hikvision?

There are a number of interesting elements here:

(1) Hikvision is continuing these parties; Tao at ISC West 2017 and Union Station at ASIS 2017.

(2) Avigilon has stopped these parties for more than a year and gone into cost cutting mode. Sony does not even have its own booth anymore, forget about mega-parties. And Pelco did have mega-parties but those days, like the jet, are long, long gone.

(3) Hikvision average sales price is ~50% less than Avigilon, Sony or Pelco, which means a lot less sales dollars available to fund those parties.

(2)
Sean Nelson
Oct 16, 2017
Nelly's Security

I'm curious as to how many people that attend the drinking events actually start doing business with or has any effect on staying loyal to to the company that presented the drinking event, simply because the drinking event was "awesome".

U
Undisclosed #5
Oct 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

...has any effect on staying loyal to to the company that presented the drinking event, simply because the drinking event was "awesome".

Maybe, but that would be rather shallow.  That's where booth babes come in. ;)

(1)
(4)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Oct 16, 2017

I have been in the industry for over 20 years and have often wondered about these excessive open bars. If someone attends a companies open bar, becomes totally smashed drunk, drives on the highway, causes an accident that results in another person's death.....who is liable for the death? The driver or the company that provide him/her with the alcoholic beverages.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Oct 16, 2017

Logically the driver is always responsible for their own actions. But in civil court, feelings can override logic and anything can happen.

(1)
Brian Karas
Oct 16, 2017
IPVM

So far, I have not heard of that happening. With most of these being tied to conventions, when people tend to walk/Uber/taxi instead of drive themselves, hopefully we will not have to see your question play out.

(1)
Ethan Ace
Oct 16, 2017

I am not a lawyer, but from conversations with multiple bar owners:

It's illegal to serve an intoxicated person in many locales. And a civil case can accordingly be brought against the establishment which over-served. That happened in Pennsylvania a couple years ago and ended with a bar closing (which had a history of this, anyway).

In Nevada, though, it appears you can only sue the intoxicated individual, not the establishment. Which could explain why rampant public intoxication is so normalized out there. There are fewer consequences than other places.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Oct 16, 2017

So when is the next party? Sounds like fun to me! haha

(3)
U
Undisclosed #5
Oct 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Keep in mind they get a good deal on imported beer.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions