Subscriber Discussion

HIK Dealers- How Do You Drop Your Cameras Down ~6 Inches?

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #1
May 17, 2017

My company installs HIK turret cameras on a daily basis on mostly a residential level.  I often run into issues where the front porch has an edge that cuts the image of the front yard/driveway/road out of my picture. When we need to drop a camera down, we often put them on 4x4 or 6x6 weatherproof enclosures. Then you've got a circular (turret) camera on a square box, and I can't stand the look of that. Any recommendations on cost effective, aesthetically pleasing ways to drop these cameras down to get my customers the view they are looking for?

JH
John Honovich
May 17, 2017
IPVM

#1, do you mean turrets like this? Image below:

I'd just like to add an image so everyone can see it immediately to better understand.

UD
May 17, 2017

Yes, John. Exactly like that.

Kyle Folger
May 17, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Since we're speaking about images, are you able to post a reference image to one of your installs you describe. Typically, if I must drop a camera, I will use a HIK or other manufacturer junction box with pendant cap to go with the camera and then put it on a rigid pipe drop.

(1)
(1)
UD
May 17, 2017

I dug through my phone trying to find an install pic I took.. to no avail. But we mount them on this guy right here most of the time because it's what the tech's have in their trucks.

Ethan Ace
May 17, 2017

The PC130T cap fits the 23XX turrets. I'd just use that and drop it from the CPM mount.

If it's an angled roof, you may have to get more creative.

Kyle Folger
May 17, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The CPM mount looks to be almost 20" long which is a little longer than dropping 6". The CPM-S looks like it might work as well but I can't tell if the end piece unscrews or if it could be adapted to fit the PC130T. Otherwise, you can order the pendant cap and find the appropriate sized pipe nipple to fit and use a pipe flange. Of course you would need to paint that to match.

Ethan Ace
May 17, 2017

True, it is longer than 6". The one thing I've run into recently to beware of: pipes used to be NPT sizes (generally 1" or 1.25", sometimes 3/4" on small ones). But I've run into a couple manufacturers (e.g. Bosch) who use European threads, now. It looks like it'll fit, and you'll get a couple threads in, but then it'll cross thread because the pitch is off. So watch out, everyone.

The Hik specs don't say what thread they use, unfortunately, so hopefully someone here knows.

Jon Dillabaugh
May 18, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Most of the Hikvision pipe threads I've encountered recently work with BOTH NPT and G threads, with one caveat. If your NPT pipe threads are sharp edged, it may bind. But, I have found many NPT pipe parts that worked fine. You just have to dry fit to make sure. 

U
Undisclosed #2
May 18, 2017
IPVMU Certified

If it's an angled roof, you may have to get more creative.

Related Creativity: How To Mount a Dome On a Sloped Surface?

Raymond Walston
May 18, 2017

Check out the mounts from Novattach. www.novattach.com.

(1)
(2)
Sean Nelson
May 18, 2017
Nelly's Security

while not 6" the 1280ZJ-M does drop it down and is aesthetically good looking:

1280zj-m

(2)
(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
May 18, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Just remember to scrape the foam off the outer edge so you can actually install the trim ring. 

UD
May 18, 2017

Turns out we have these in the parts room and I had no idea. This will fit the application I'm working with currently. 6-8" drops may need to be addressed with the pipe and pendant caps. That application we have not yet divulged yet. Soon to come. Thanks for the help gentlemen.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions