Subscriber Discussion

High Resolution AHD/TVI/CVI Cameras On Market Yet?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 16, 2016

In August of last year HD-TVI 2.0 was announced with resolutions of 3 MP-5 MP being available soon. At least stateside, I can find no product supporting this. In digging through Techpoint's website HD-TVI 3.0 is out supporting up to 4K. Has anyone seen any production HD-TVI 2.0 or 3.0 product? What about anything from the AHD/CVI providers?

DW
David Westberry
Jun 16, 2016
IPVMU Certified

LTS is shipping 3MP TVI. Have one but havent hooked it up yet.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 16, 2016

Thank you, David. I had been digging for a while. I'm surprised they would only launch the 3MP but not the 5MP. I'm wondering if there are either production issues or other technical issues prompting a slow launch.

Also, the resolution is a bit odd for 3 MP that they list the frame rate at - 1920x1536 @ 18FPS? I would be interested in seeing what it is truly capable of once you have one installed.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jun 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

JH
John Honovich
Jun 17, 2016
IPVM

We spoke with LTS and NRF LP and they showed the 3MP cameras there as well, also confirming no higher resolution beyond that for now.

Also, of course, they confirmed those 3MP TVI cameras need the new generation DVRs.

Beyond that, the LTS people at the booth had no info about why 3MP was the max.

JH
John Honovich
Jun 16, 2016
IPVM

1, technically, its TVI 3.0 that is supposed to support 3MP - 5MP, not 2.0.

Related: TVI Launches 3MP, 4MP, 5MP Analog Cameras

I have not seen any HD analog shipping beyond 1080p. David's reference to LTS 3MP is the first I've heard, though LTS tends to be aggressive on new product releases, so that would not surprise me.

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 17, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Do you need >1080p for all channels? If you only need it for a few channels, use an IP camera with your TVI DVR.

ML
Moe Levine
Jun 29, 2016

Jon, I'm about to test this... Do you know if this is true with CVI as well or just TVI? Also, is there a limit on the MP, can I use a 12MP camera on a DVR that supports IP cameras?

Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 30, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Moe, for Dahua HD-CVI DVRs, you can usually add IP cams as well as HD-CVI cameras. What you are looking for is usually called a Tribrid DVR. These Tribrid DVRs support analog SD, analog HD-CVI, and most IP cameras (ONVIF 2.4.1).

Dahua has also announced HD-CVI 3.0, which they now call Pentabrid, or in other terms, it supports all analog SD, analog HD, and most IP cams. Specifically, it says it supports HD-CVI, HD-TVI, and AHD. These aren't shipping yet, I don't think, but should be available in the near future.

Depending on the model, they usually support 1 or 2 IP cams in place of one of the analog channels. Basically, you can substitute one of the analog channels for one IP camera.

The highest resolution supported is also model dependent. I don't see any HD-CVI units that record above 1080p yet, but that seems to be available on the newer 3.0 units. Until they release models and specs, it is unknown at this moment.

A little advice I have to give is this; unless you have COAX already installed and are forced to use it for whatever reason, I would recommend installing an NVR and IP cams. The cost overall is pretty close. It will for sure be easier and quicker to install IP cams. If you buy a PoE integrated NVR, you won't need a power supply either. This way, you also have access to 4K/12MP today. You also can choose the 4MP cameras with True WDR. This is a big deal for most doors we cover.

(1)
ML
Moe Levine
Jun 30, 2016

Wow Jon, thanks for your thorough response - I really appreciate it.

I'm really excited to see HD-CVI 3.0!!! Sounds like it can be the solution for many installs I did 8+ years ago which they want more than 1080P.

I've installed hundreds of ACTi IP cameras all of which were within the 300 feet range from the NVR. I have a job which requires a many of the cameras to be more than 800 feet away from the dvr/nvr.

If you don't mind me picking your brain for one more question... If I did want to stick with IP what's the best way to run cameras over such long ranges?

Thanks so much

U
Undisclosed #2
Jun 30, 2016
IPVMU Certified

What's the best way to run [IP] cameras over such long range?

These work.

With Coax:

With Cat 5:

Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 30, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Moe, the best way is to run fiber between the MDF (head end) and an IDF at a point within 328ft of your cameras. You will need fiber capable switches (SFP ports) or fiber transceivers at both ends. If your cameras are not all within 328ft of this IDF, you will need more IDFs. This will be very expensive, but you asked for the best way.

A possibly less expensive way is to replace each fiber run with two wireless radios to connect the MDF and IDF. If you have multiple IDFs, you might be able to use one radio at the MDF end as a point to multipoint device. There are many determining factors that go into wireless backhaul design. It is not something that is overly simple. But the equipment and labor involved may be cheaper than running fiber.

Another way is to use CAT5/COAX extenders (see UD2s answer). I don't have a lot of experience using these. I would seek someone who has and get some first hand advice. We have used the Everfocus Palun EoC adapters where COAX was already installed and not easily replaced. They are working well, but have not been in the field very long.

Lastly, have you considered multiple recorders? As a last effort, you could divide and conquer. This would make administration a little tougher and you would need network/internet access at each NVR. Just another option to evaluate.

There may be other options too. These are the ones that come to mind after a long day out in the heat.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jun 30, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I agree, fiber is the best.

I was assuming reuse.

ML
Moe Levine
Jul 01, 2016

Jon, I really appreciate you posting all this informative knowledge. I have never used fiber in the past and have been researching it a lot today. I'm still working through your response and just wanted to thank you for your time. Most of what you wrote I'm very unfamiliar with have mostly been using Cat5e and Coax for the last 10 years but I guess its time to learn the new and improved.

Brian Rhodes
Jul 01, 2016
IPVMU Certified
SM
Sergey Minevich
Jun 19, 2016

As far as I heard directly from Hikvision engineers, now they have only 5M fisheye camera, it means not like true 5M, it is more like combination of several 2M streams in one channel. 3M is already launched in Russia - almost completed product line from Hikvision and several it's OEM partners, including DVRs, but still never met this solution installed on real object.

I hope somebody here has experience with 5M TVI fisheye, any feedback about it performance?

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jun 19, 2016
IPVM

Sergey, good feedback. I had not heard of 5MP TVI fisheyes until you mentioned it, so I cannot add anything here.

JH
John Honovich
Jun 20, 2016
IPVM

We got feedback from a source well connected to TVI development. They observed:

3MP cameras are the most cost effective and I believe that is the reason you see more of it than 4MP and 5MP. 4MP and 5MP sensors, lenses, and ISPs are quite expensive.

Part of that seems to relate to HD analog still being focused to lower-end, price sensitive customers. I am curious to see if or when that changes.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions