Subscriber Discussion

HID Card Does NOT Beep When Swiped

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 02, 2014

Quick question here regarding Access Control: Is the "beep" from the HID reader when you swipe a blank card, the only way to know if a card is incompatible ?? As far as I know, if you swipe an old 125 KHz card unto a newest 13.56 Mhz reader (or vice-versa) and it does NOT beep: it means you are trying to use an older format card in an incompatible reader.

Background on the case: the integrator abandoned the project and the end user needs to create new credentials for new employees. It seems the card he bought elsewhere are NOT compatible with the HID readers already installed.

RA
Ross Andersen
Jul 02, 2014

The reader is self could have it be set to not be unless a proper card is presented also.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 02, 2014

How do I know that Ross ? Is this feature enabled by default from factory inside the readers via jumpers ??? ... I am talking here about HID iClass R10 and R40 (13.56 MHz) Contactless Smart Card Readers running under Honeywell Pro-Watch.

Tyler Graham
Jul 02, 2014

The beeper is either on or off for beeping when presented with a card. It will beep for all or none, with the appropriate compatible card. The beeper is on by default and can be turned off with a configuration card.

Brian Rhodes
Jul 02, 2014
IPVMU Certified

This could also mean the reader is not wired to beep when cards are read. For example, many HID readers use the yellow wire to connect the beeper to the controller:

The reader could function normally without beeping.

I have a HID 6005 (125 kHz only)reader that beeps regardless if I present an 125 kHz or 13.56 MHz card.

I think you actually need to examine the wiring between the reader and controller to confirm whether it is connected correctly.

Tyler Graham
Jul 02, 2014

This wire does not prevent the reader from beeping upon a card read. It is to activate the beeper, from the access control panel, for a door propped open event.

Brian Rhodes
Jul 02, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Interesting. I'm going to check this and report back.

Brian Rhodes
Jul 02, 2014
IPVMU Certified

@Tyler Graham is correct.

I tested three readers, R10, R40 and an old 5365. In every case, the reader still beeps when a card is presented regardless if the beeper contact is connected.

Thanks for setting things straight, Tyler!

Tyler Graham
Jul 02, 2014

The HID 6005 will not beep if presented with an iClass card. You either have a dual tech card, or your iClass reader is a multiclass reader.

Brian Rhodes
Jul 02, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Also, check to make sure the new card's facility code (or factory code) matches what the reader is configured to read.

Tyler Graham
Jul 02, 2014

The reader does not care what facility code it is reading, it will beep if it is presented with a technology compatible format.

Brian Rhodes
Jul 02, 2014
IPVMU Certified

My suggestion has nothing to do with the (lack of) beep, just the potential invalidity of an otherwise compatible card.

Tyler Graham
Jul 02, 2014

If the reader does not beep, it is not a compatible format. If you have iClass readers, and your customer purchased his own cards, chances are he purchased Prox cards and not iClass cards.

Is the "beep" from the HID reader when you swipe a blank card, the only way to know if a card is incompatible ??

Also, semantically, you present a card to a reader, if you are swiping, it may be too quick for the reader to read it. And when you say blank card I am assuming you mean not programmed, because a blank card will not beep. I am also assuming you do not have two cards back to back, the reader will not beep with this configuration either.

U
Undisclosed
Jul 07, 2014

Interesting. Don't you integrator ninjas all have a "data wedge" in your toolkit? Some sort of widget that reads a card and blurts out information (including tech used and card values) to RS-232 or something PC-readable?

Brian Rhodes
Jul 07, 2014
IPVMU Certified

I'm not familiar with a 'data wedge' [but I'm no ninja either :( ]

There are a range of USB-connectable readers, like the OMNIKEY line. Without configuration, you plug it in to a workstation, read a card, and it spits out an ASCII string. Drivers and additional tweaking can be applied to decode the card in readable format.

Is a 'data wedge' something like this?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jul 07, 2014
All hid readers will beep when a compatible card is presented. The beeper wire will make the reader beep when the panel tells it to do so. We never connect the beep wire. A lot of modern access control panels have the capability to read the raw data from a card. Keep in mind that you may still need to determine the card format and bit break out ( facility code, site code, card number ...) A good tool to read card with a computer is from RF IDEAS. That have various card readers that can read any different card technologies.
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions