Subscriber Discussion

Need Help Troubleshooting Relay Driving A Siren

JH
Jay Hobdy
May 16, 2018
IPVMU Certified

We are trying to use an NVR to run a siren based on an event.

Right now we have bypassed the NVR to eliminate the NVR analytics, and are just using a 12V DC power supply to run the coil. Common, and 10-30V connection.

The siren is powered by a 12VDC power supply. Negative from PS to the siren, positive to common on contact output, NO to the siren. If the tech swaps the NO to NC the siren sounds continuous, which is what I would expect.

We tried this on relay 1 and 2. The led lights, but no siren.

I have 3 more of these I can try if this one is defective. I plan on testing in the shop this weekend. 

Am I missing something here? This should be pretty simple. Power the coil, close the contact, the siren goes woo woo?

Functional Devices RIBU2C Enclosed Pilot Relay, 10 Amp 2 Spdt with 10-30 Vac/Dc/120 Vac Coil

U
Undisclosed #1
May 16, 2018

Send a pic of your actual/exact wiring and test setup.

It seems like the LEDs are there to light up when the relay is energized. Is that happening? Do you hear any clicking from the relay? Has your tech tried both relays in case one is bad?

(1)
Jeff Kaproth
May 16, 2018

some, not all, RIB devices will light the LED, but not fire the relay if the DC voltage is reversed.

(1)
Brian Rhodes
May 16, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Is the problem the siren will not sound when connected to the Normally Open relay contacts when they are closed?

Daniel S-T
May 16, 2018

Do the contacts actually close? Test with a continuity tester. I mean from what you've said it sounds like they are not, but that's the most simple way to test the relay. 

A crude drawing, but this is more or less how you have it wired?Siren Relay

I just realized I used Relay 2 colours, not relay 1, but what ever

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
May 16, 2018

Siren through relay with shared power supply

Here is a sketch with a shared 12VDC power supply.

(1)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions