Subscriber Discussion

Help, Looking For Ruggedized Media Converter With PoE Out

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 10, 2016

Need to find a ruggedized power supply and fiber (preferably singlemode) to Cat6 PoE-out media converter. No one seems to make this combination.

My client does not want to use a central 48vdc PoE power supply and distribute composite optical fiber with power conductors which was my initial thought.

My client is also averse to new systems. They want to know the equipment is proven at other facilities so they are not the Beta tester.

Any ideas? Suggestions from experience of what to do or not to do?

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul Grefenstette
Nov 10, 2016

did you try planet (https://planetechusa.com/)

(1)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #2
Nov 10, 2016
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Nov 10, 2016

How rugged are you looking for?

Comnet makes a wide range of equipment that is almost all fairly ruggedized. Add a /C to nearly any part number and you can get conformal coating as well. We use their product all the time in industrial environments and outdoors.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Nov 11, 2016

ComNet is absolutely the play. We use their stuff all the time. Every product they make is rock solid.

(2)
Chris Daniels
Nov 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Anyone have experience with the Moog/Videolarm Standard Power Box with EOF2N media convertor #PB24 + EOF2N?

Looks like it would do the trick but not having extensive experience with them gives pause.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Nov 12, 2016

I have gotten several emails from Omnitron recently regarding ruggedized media converters with POE. Have not tried them yet.

Richard Lavin
Mar 14, 2017
Salas O'Brien • IPVMU Certified

OK, I'm late to this conversation but I thought I'd comment anyway in case someone does a search in the future that pulls up this post.

For this application, I normally specify Comnet CNFE100(X)POE/M series, which have both multimode and single mode versions with either 30W or 60W PoE power.  This is probably my "go to" fiber media converter.

Alternately, I've specified both Antaira IMP-100A series media converters, which also have both multimode and single mode versions and provide 15.4W PoE power, or Antaira LMP series managed industrial PoE switches.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions