HDCVI Hits Major Security Distribution

Ethan Ace
Jul 18, 2014

Looking through a Tri-Ed specials flier, I came across this:

Four and eight channel HDCVI kits under the WatchNET name ($499-$1299 dealer price, for those curious). I'm used to seeing Q-See online ads, Costco specials, and lately Chinese spam emails, but this is the first time I've seen HDCVI advertised to integrators by one of the major security distributors.

Granted, ignoring HD-SDI, this is the first of the HD over coax wave in distribution, with HDTVI coming (some time) from Hikvision and FLIR's MPX HDCVI gear coming. It's just interesting seeing the target shift from consumer DIYers to integrators.

This brings up several questions, though: Is this package sold through distribution somehow more attractive than a similar one sold through Costco? Is the distributor backing worth a $200 price premium ($799 for 8-channel 720p WatchNET vs. $599 Q-See/Costco)? Finally, if you're ready to sell WatchNET, a name with no brand recognition, against off-the-shelf kits from Q-See (which has lots of satisfied customers and positive reviews), both relabeling the same products, how do you position it?

Background: Q-See Analog HD Kit Tested, Testing Dahua HDCVI

AK
Alex K
Jul 18, 2014

You looking at Dahua product with Watchnet name

JH
John Honovich
Jul 18, 2014
IPVM

"Is the distributor backing worth a $200 price premium ($799 for 8-channel 720p WatchNET vs. $599 Q-See/Costco)? Finally, if you're ready to sell WatchNET, a name with no brand recognition, against off-the-shelf kits from Q-See (which has lots of satisfied customers and positive reviews), both relabeling the same products, how do you position it?"

If I am an ADI dealer buying low end kits, I look down / dislike things sold at Costco, fearing that the customer will realize they can do they same. WatchNet is harder to buy online and perhaps they can spin how great it is compared to the same exact thing junk sold by Q-See at Costco.

Ethan Ace
Jul 18, 2014

I could see that being more of a possibility with a big name. Honeywell OEMing Hikvision recorders, for example. At least then you can talk about the Honeywell name and history and how they're not going anywhere, etc. etc. etc. But WatchNet doesn't have that recognition.

I agree that that's the likely tactic, though. "You can buy Q-See at Costco...this is exclusive!"

AK
Alex K
Jul 18, 2014

And by the way

Watchnet was selling product to ADI and Tried for almost 10 years

JH
John Honovich
Jul 18, 2014
IPVM

What's new is HDCVI at Tri-ed, not WatchNet, they are just the re-labeler / channel for Dahua.

AK
Alex K
Jul 18, 2014

"Is the distributor backing worth a $200 price premium ($799 for 8-channel 720p WatchNET vs. $599 Q-See/Costco)? Finally, if you're ready to sell WatchNET, a name with no brand recognition, against off-the-shelf kits from Q-See (which has lots of satisfied customers and positive reviews), both relabeling the same products, how do you position it?"

I do not like wording

It is not fair to Watchnet

JH
John Honovich
Jul 18, 2014
IPVM

The point is not whether WatchNet is good or bad. As you acknowledge, it's Dahua, like Q-See and many others.

The problem / point is that WatchNet, despite being in business for 14 years, has very little name recognition / awareness in the industry, and even worse about among end users.

The 'no brand recognition' claim is basically the fact. You may like their products, but that does not contract the point about their lack of brand recognition.

HS
Hayden Seay
Jul 18, 2014
Anyone know if these HDCVI/HDTVI products support legacy analog products?
Jack Zhang
Jul 18, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Dahua's hdcvi tri-brid dvr supports analog,hdcvi and ipc inputs.

As for hikvision, I think the base models will support analog, hdtvi 720p@30/60fps, hdtvi 1080p@30fps and IPC inputs.

JH
John Honovich
Jul 18, 2014
IPVM

But what is being sold by WatchNet here is NOT a tri-brid product. It most certainly is HDCVI only.

Jack Zhang
Jul 18, 2014
IPVMU Certified

oh yeah, I forgot they only carry the 1U oem version.:(

KF
Keith Fraley
Jul 20, 2014
Why are we calling the Qsee hdcvi offering junk because its at costco. If they would have offered that pricing at distributors only we would view them in a different light. I have tested the kit. Its the best cameras i have seen at that price.
JH
John Honovich
Jul 20, 2014
IPVM

Keith, I was being facetious. My point is the same as yours here:

"WatchNet is harder to buy online and perhaps they can spin how great it is compared to the same exact thing junk sold by Q-See at Costco."

There's a bias amongst many professionals dealers against publicly available equipment.

KF
Keith Fraley
Jul 20, 2014
My bad John. I got you.
EV
Ed Vergara
Jul 20, 2014

I can't see how anyone can compete with Costco or any product resembling thos sold by Costco.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions