Hdcctv Can Now Run Over Category Cable

JH
John Honovich
May 03, 2013
IPVM

The HDcctv Alliance, a group that has been espousing the virtues of running HD video over existing coaxial cable, has now announced a version to run over Cat5e and 6 cabling.

One rational cited was to allow "Legacy VGA IP camera-based systems can easily upgrade to uncompressed HD with HDcctv CX." All you need to do is drop your network switches, get cameras from a new supplier and add in a HDcctv DVR (or encoder).

Let me know if you are interested in this.

Ross Vander Klok
May 03, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Finally! A product that I have no interest in, will not help me in any way/shape/form and alleviates no actual problem or issue I have. Just what I have been looking for all these years, something I can completely ignore and forget about.

Carl Lindgren
May 03, 2013

Thanks Todd, er I mean John. Is HDcctv CX product available for testing/deployment now? That's the same question I asked Todd many times and never received a straight answer.

BTW, that question also applies to HDcctv XR (supposedly capable of travelling 200M on RG59), HDcctv 2.0 (adds up-the-cable remote control) and HDcctv 3.0 (more vaporware from the organization noted for touting features years in advance of their adoption by equipment manufacturers).

Carl Lindgren
May 03, 2013

From the HDcctv website: "more than 200,000 HDcctv cameras were sold worldwide in 2012. Many of these cameras are certified HDcctv compliant..." - Does anyone else see the obvious contradiction there?

JH
John Honovich
May 03, 2013
IPVM

You're welcome, Carl:

That reference is from March 2010, so I am not sure what to say about anything HDcctv related. According to that schedule we should be at HDcctv 6.0 right now.

Carl Lindgren
May 03, 2013
Is that the spec where HDcctv cameras add "state-of-the-art" features like the ability to see through clothing and around corners?
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions