Subscriber Discussion

Using Fiber With HD TVI/CVI Cameras? System Recommendations?

Scott Napier
Jun 05, 2016

I have never messed with any of this stuff, but I think I have a project that might be suited for it now. We have a client with an older Pelco/Bosch analog system and the DVR's are finally starting to wet the bed. The building is a very complicated multi-story thing and replacing cables would be an utter nightmare that would triple the budget. I would like to propose some sort of HD coax system but I know for a fact that 4 of the roof mounted cameras are using fiber to get back to the head end. What are my options to utilize this existing fiber in an HD TVI/CVI application?

On top of that, I am looking for recommendations for systems you have used that you would recommend. The current system has been there 11 years, with virtually no maintenance. That means whatever I put in needs to be durable as I expect it to be there for a similar amount of time. Of course I am offering maintenance support with my install, but durability matters to these folks.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 05, 2016

IMHO I would use fiber to IP for those conversions and a hybrid DVR for the CVI/TVI direct coax. I won't go into which version is better but I understand there are fiber to CVI modules but it really doesn't make sense based in today's technology.

(1)
DL

Hi Scott,

This is Damien from Dahua.

We have a range of devices for transmitting CVI cameras over Fibre.

As "Undisclosed 1 Manufacturer" mentioned above another option is to go from CVI to IP and use Hybrid recorders. Either method would be effective and it really depends on the system architecture of your project and what infrastructure you already have in place.

There is also a third option. Install the CVI recorders at the locations where you were intending to install the CVI to fibre modules and connect them all to your VMS via IP. Generally this would be the most cost effective solution.

There is no one size fits all solution and it all depends on what the requirements of the specific project are. If you are happy to send me further information about your project I can work with you to come up with a good solution. If you want to send me anything that should not be posted publicly please connect to me on Linkedin and send it through there. You can also access my direct email address and telephone number on my linkedin profile page.

BS
Bob Schenck
Jun 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

The first thing to check is what kind of fiber runs to those cameras and how many strands per cable. I like IP solutions as well, but a lot of older analog systems used a single strand of multimode fiber. There are optic modules for Ethernet over a SM pair, a MM pair, or a single SM fiber. However I don't know of any solutions for Ethernet over a one MM fiber.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions