Subscriber Discussion

HD-SDI Options Nowadays?

Armando Perez
Jan 02, 2017
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

Its been a while since we've done any, and I know I cant stand the failure rate of our previous vendor and I have a machine we need to replace. Who is still doing HDSDI? What are the options? whats your experience?

JH
John Honovich
Jan 02, 2017
IPVM

Recorders or cameras or both?

I do not know anyone leading with HD-SDI now but there are certainly still some that carry them.

Armando Perez
Jan 02, 2017

Looking for a recorder olution right now, but would be nice ot be prepared for when legacy HDSDI cameras go out instead of swapping everything over to CVI/TVI/LMNOP

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 02, 2017

Google EX-SDI

Armando Perez
Jan 02, 2017

Im familiar with EX and HD, Im mainly looking to see who has had good or bad experiences with specific vendors.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 02, 2017

I personally drop SDI few years ago

Can not help you

but few integrators I know still sell them

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

but few integrators I know still sell them

Did you mean? (Because of the 'but')

but a few integrators I know still sell them

You wouldn't think it would change the meaning of the sentence much, but...

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 03, 2017

Few Integrators still sell SDI

happy now? :)

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Merry (belated) Christmas!

(1)
Ari Erenthal
Jan 03, 2017

As far as I can tell, everything is discontinued, but you might still be able to find a Digital Watchdog HD Flex series DVR. Although I have to agree with UD1 that it might be worth swapping out all the cameras and leaving the customer with a TVI or CVI recorder. You'll lose money but you'll mitigate your chances of future headaches, too. 

(2)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 03, 2017

Ari,have a look

http://www.magicdvr.com

(3)
Armando Perez
Jan 03, 2017

Magic DVR. Its crap. We made a blind switch 2 years ago, 90% failed. The other 10% make life hell. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

(2)
(1)
Armando Perez
Jan 05, 2017

What do you mean discontinued? Like sdi is going away?

JH
John Honovich
Jan 05, 2017
IPVM

What do you mean discontinued? Like sdi is going away?

I do not expect SDI to have much of a future. It is already quite uncommon and it will only get worse.

The people who want high resolution / advanced functionality have overwhelmingly choose IP. The people who want low prices / no network setup have chosen HD analog.

SDI is left without a sizable differentiator / rationale.

(2)
(1)
Armando Perez
Jan 05, 2017

I can't disagree with you because our records and experience are exactly the same. I'm just surprised that's across the board. Ive seen sdi and cvi and tvi next to each other and sdi is noticeably better clarity, though not storage space tests were done, the naked eye said sdi appeared lossless.

(2)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jan 03, 2017

Clinton Electronics out of Chicago. 

(1)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Jan 03, 2017

Hanwha Techwin still has some 16-channel SRD-1680 HD-SDI DVRs.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Jan 03, 2017

Is Clinton or Hanwha something you guys have actually used? Because I think that is what Armando is asking for- a testimonial on a product that someone has actually used and has show to be reliable versus the product he has been using, though not sure which one that is.

(1)
Armando Perez
Jan 05, 2017

Experience ce is what I was looking for. Especially so I can stay away from another unix/eyemax/magic drive debacle with failure rates but be able to service these accounts without swapping the whole thing over to cvi or tvi.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jan 05, 2017

We have used Clinton Electronics They are a reliable vendor and their products are good enough. 

That said as has been stated here SDI is a dying breed they are just putting nicer flowers on the casket. 

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #9
Jan 09, 2017

Agree on Clinton Electronics - we have used them for years, they are a good solid choice for HD-SDI.  They are actually a pretty big player in retail PVM space.  Products mad in South Korea at their factory.  We have found them to be very reliable.

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #6
Jan 03, 2017

Vitek still has SDI (EX-SDI, and probably a few HDSDI still on the shelves.  FULL DISCLOSURE: I AM A VITEK REP.

I will say that the SDI installs that were done PROPERLY, have been solid.  

The installs that were done poorly were very problematic.  Most often were issues with poor wiring practices and under powering integrated-IR camera units.  

(2)
Armando Perez
Jan 05, 2017

IL check out this option. Thank you. What happens to warranty when they're gone?

MI
Matt Ion
Jan 04, 2017

Where's our old pal Rocky when we need him?

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #7
Jan 04, 2017

I believe the Hik Turbo (TVI) recorders will accept the old analog cameras.

Thomas Francis
Jan 09, 2017

IDview still does an SDI line I believe....their products aren't terrible, the remote and local interface is somewhat dated though, reminisce of the old chinese analog units of the early 2000s...clunky but functional if you know your networking. We have had a few systems out there for several years now.

(2)
Armando Perez
Jan 09, 2017

Excellent. Thank you for the responses. Looks like we should be giving clinton  electronics a call.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions