Subscriber Discussion

HD-SDI Max Cable Length Run With RG-59 Cable?

Sean Nelson
Nov 07, 2013
Nelly's Security

Can someone tell me what this is? I thought it was only 150' but I've heard that the newer SDI cameras allow longer runs.

JC
Jason Clement
Nov 07, 2013

The cameras we sell say "up to 100m" but I always let people know that is with optimal cable conditions. The technical specs of the camera should say how far it can run. You can also purchase repeaters to extend the distance as well. Some of the extenders have an HDMI port too if you need a local monitor for that particular camera.

JH
John Honovich
Nov 07, 2013
IPVM

Do you mean 'regular' HD SDI or do you mean Dahua's HD CVI or Todd's mythical HDcctv 2.0 / 3.0 / etc.?

JC
Jason Clement
Nov 07, 2013

My post refers to standard HD-SDI cameras.

JH
John Honovich
Nov 07, 2013
IPVM

Yes, my comment was to Sean. sorry.

Sean Nelson
Nov 07, 2013
Nelly's Security

I am using Dahua HD-SDI. Just to be clear, that is different than Dahua's HD CVI. Just for kicks I went back in the warehouse and tested it. I was able to get up to 350' using a premade 100' cable and a 250' premade cable connected together with a coupler, no video degredation at all. The cable being used wasnt premium grade either. I tried 450' but couldnt get that far. Granted I was using copper clad steel cable and using couplers so I am sure that didnt help, but glad to see I got it that far with crappy cable.

Anyone tried using this with cat5 and Baluns?

JC
Jason Clement
Nov 08, 2013

Thanks for the update Sean, good to know.

A quick google search showed no "baluns" like analog video uses but I did find this "media converter" device FAQ

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions