HD Or IP Covert Cameras Embedded In Smoke Detectors, Clocks, Speakers?

JH
John Honovich
Jan 28, 2016
IPVM

There's been many options for many years of SD analog covert cameras embedded in various devices, whether it is PIR sensors, smoke detectors, clocks, speakers, AC adapters, electrical boxes, etc.

However, on the IP side, while there are many covert cameras, they are almost all in the exposed head with connected main unit variety (e.g., Testing Covert Cameras). With those, you have to manually embed them in to walls or devices, etc., taking up more time and increasing the risk that the camera is exposed or not positioned accurately.

So question - what HD or IP embedded covert cameras are out there? I know there are a few no-name ones on the IP side. Interestingly, I found some new 1080p HD-CVI embedded PIR sensors and 1080p HD-TVI PIR sensors that are interesting.

Anyone know of others? Might be worth us doing a test.

MI
Matt Ion
Jan 31, 2016

However, on the IP side, while there are many covert cameras, they are almost all in the exposed head with connected main unit variety (e.g., Testing Covert Cameras). With those, you have to manually embed them in to walls or devices, etc., taking up more time and increasing the risk that the camera is exposed or not positioned accurately.

I don't see how it would be any different using this style vs. an old-school little board camera embedded in the smoke/light/clock/etc. You have a small module and a length of UTP connecting it. Having a separate module that goes in-line shouldn't make installing and positioning the camera itself any more difficult, it just means you need somewhere to stash the interface. The model in the picture has a sufficiently long wire that this shouldn't be a problem.

Don't see how embedding the camera component would be any different between that and these...

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 31, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Having a seperate module that goes in-line shouldn't make installing and positioning the camera itself any more difficult...

Maybe you're really good with your hands, but personally I would have a hard time "installing and positioning" an IP/HD camera in either of these...

MI
Matt Ion
Feb 01, 2016

That's not the type we're talking about, though - John specifically listed "PIR sensors, smoke detectors, clocks, speakers, AC adapters, electrical boxes, etc."

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 01, 2016
IPVMU Certified

That's not the type we're talking about though....

Fair enough. That image was from the link he gave in 'testing covert cameras', and was a bad choice, considering the scope of this discussion.

Be that as it may, I still that for me it would add a decent amount of time for me to hollow out an alarm clock, redo the cable, make a decent unobvious hole in it and support the lens/camera head into that position.

The second one would go twice as fast as the first, thats for sure.

JH
John Honovich
Jan 31, 2016
IPVM

"I don't see how it would be any different using this style vs. an old-school little board camera embedded in the smoke/light/clock/etc."

Because the old school SD analog ones had many options already embedded, eliminating the step / need to assemble / embed yourself.

(1)
MI
Matt Ion
Feb 01, 2016

Most of the ones I've used weren't custom enclosures or anything, they just look like some hollowed-out, standard, off-the-shelf smokes/clocks/etc. with a board camera stuck inside with hot melt glue. Even the stuff ADI sold the last time I got a smoke camera was like that. It's not like it's overly complicated.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Feb 01, 2016

How about the old time ATM type like this one: http://www.xeronvision.com/#!ip-miniature/c1mlt

They are 1080p, IP based but lacking WDR as far as I know.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions