Member Discussion

Having Problems With The Axis T8414

I bought a number of Axis T8414 install tool last year but had to return most of them as they had failed. I am trying to figure out if there's an ongoing problem there and if there are any alternative ones.

Hmmm. I wonder if the IT-5000 users are having the same kind of problems or if this is exclusive to the units Dynacolor OEMs for Axis.

I forwarded to Axis, asking for comment on the device.

Well Chris, I'm not about to assign myself the task of diagnosing the problem - that is clearly Axis's responsibility. The point at issue, for me, is that a problem exists and so far has not been acknowledged or addressed by the vendor beyond their standard RMA procedure. I would be very interested if IPVM could contact Axis for comment on how they plan to resolve this and why they continue to sell basically a 'lemon'.

Are they DOA or fail after x days? What fails? If everybodys fail the same way then maybe (longshot) its a single badly sourced component that could be field serviced.

Do any work 100%?

Are they serialized or have lot#s?

I have to agree, the T8414 appears to be a lemon. So far I've had to RMA 3 out of the 4 that I have bought for customers. The problem is they simply send another new one in it's place, as per their RMA policy, but I think we've reached the point where we should be looking at refunds. Do the 'lemon laws' apply I wonder?

Laptops are the most popular amongst integrators we surveyed though also generally disliked. See: IP Camera Installation Tool Preferences

Are you using this mostly for IP cameras?

If you're only using this for IP cameras- Toughbooks for the win.

It's from Dynacolor, they also OEM another version to Razberi.

Thanks for the feedback!

I've had 100% of the ones I've sold, or known of the customer already had, fail. After having 4 of them go bad, I've stopped even bothering.

It's not even an Axis produced product; someone posted on the IPVM Linkedin forums back in the day the link to the OEM company/product page.