Have You Ever Been Burned By A Bad Storage Calculation?

Ethan Ace
Dec 27, 2016

Talking to an old colleague recently who mentioned a customer had estimated 12TB storage...for over 100 cameras for a month. Needless to say, that 30 day storage goal was not met.

Has this happened to you?

Vote here and tell us your story in the comments.

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 27, 2016

I had a restaurant owner report that his 1TB NVR with 8 cameras had one year of footage on it and then he suddenly "lost" 11 months of recordings and only had the last 30 days. Based on this, he wanted to return the NVR. Unfortunately I was never able to get the full story out of him, but he did not return the NVR.

(1)
(5)
RS
Robert Shih
Dec 27, 2016
Independent

Cause 1TB can totally store a years worth of footage, right?

Even @ D1 and 15fps with motion detection, you're lucky if 6TB can do it! Who the hell told him 1 full year was even remotely possible? Are we running 1fps?

(2)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 28, 2016

I even offered to help with the math which demonstrated how exceedingly unlikely it was that the unit ever stored more than a month of video, and was told I was trying to pull a fast one.

You can't win them all.

U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 27, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Maybe an old event got bookmarked or something else that could have prevented it from get written over.  Giving the illusion of a longer retention time.

yeah, unlikely, never mind

Jon Dillabaugh
Dec 28, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

I recently took on a new client that had some 16ch D1 Everfocus DVRs with 500GB hard drives that he was told would record for a year. He was only getting ~7 days of retention. He only found out after having a break in and couldn't figure out how to recover the event. We added a 4TB drive to each recorder to ensure at least 30 days of retention. 

I also had a client that we installed some panoramic cameras for the first time and we had underestimated the storage needs because the VMS calculator didn't have an option for that specific camera. We ended up simply adding another drive to cover the miscalculation, but that is an easy fix in the grand scheme of things. 

RS
Robert Shih
Dec 29, 2016
Independent

Yeah, panoramics really throw off calculations these days.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions