Subscriber Discussion

Have There Been Any Formal Studies On CCTV Frame Rate Or Bit Rate?

Scott Napier
Jun 29, 2017

I use the survey data from IPVM as a reliable source all the time, but has there been any formal study conducted that I can cite as a source for this stuff?   We (Smithsonian) are getting ready to update a big chunk of our security design criteria, but I am having a tough time finding an "official" source that I can cite for this.   

I seek the wisdom of the IPVM collective.  

Brian Karas
Jun 29, 2017
IPVM

Scott -

We show bandwidth/bit rate data in our camera tests, example this chart from our Hanwha 9MP Fisheye Camera Test report:

As you can see, bitrates can vary a lot brand to brand/model to model and day vs. night. 

Are you trying to come up with an average bitrate per resolution kind of a guideline?

JH
John Honovich
Jul 02, 2017
IPVM

Scott, in terms of 'official' resources, take a look at DHS' Digital Video Quality Handbook. It's more of an intro guide than 'standards' but if you are looking for something 'official' to cite that might help.

In terms of frame rate, 30fps historically (for government applications) is considered the gold standard but that's really because it was what was historically 'full' frame rate. Now, many cameras support 60fps and some 120fps.

If I was putting together criteria, I would first look at past incidents and what type of problems with frame rate one has had in the past and adjust accordingly. I doubt, though, that more than 10 or 15 fps is going to make much of a practical difference unless its shots of people or money close up.

And, if you want to be 'safe', you go with 30fps since there are many other government related documents or specs that go with 30fps.

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions