Has Eminem Become A Chinese Surveillance Manufacturer?

JH
John Honovich
Nov 13, 2013
IPVM

Chinese surveillance manufacturer spam is truly at the forefront of innovation.

For instance, today, I got a Dropbox message from 'Eminem', saying:

Here's the attached image:

Note: Those checkmarks and underlines are from the original image. We did not add them.

What do you think? What am I supposed to do in response to this message.

Best comment in the thread gets a free one month membership extension.

Brian Rhodes
Nov 13, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Will the real Slim Shady please stand... oh, never mind.

Brian Karas
Nov 13, 2013
Pelican Zero

As far as his contact info goes, I think you should Just Lose It (ha ha haha).

CP
Carlton Purvis
Nov 13, 2013

Brian, that was a pretty good one.

Maybe the guy was trying to capitalize on Eminem's album release last Tuesday.

Greg M. Ray
Nov 13, 2013

I would think someone other than Peter may have sent this for a joke because it is funny. Being the professional you are I would not give this any attention or maybe that was the plan all along? On the LinkedIn website they use similair tatics for there way to attempt to promote advertising in discussion boards, hence why I am here. Will the real Eminem please stand up ? Or am I missing something?

JH
John Honovich
Nov 13, 2013
IPVM

I am pretty sure this person is being serious. Chinese giving themselves weird English/American names is very common.

I posted it for two reasons:

• Chinese surveillance spam is out of control. I am really looking for any ways or suggestions to push back. Will this embarrass Shenzen Eminem or embolden him?
  • It's an amusing example of the type of spam being sent out.
JG
John Grocke
Nov 14, 2013

First came Chelvis, now Cheminem?

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Nov 14, 2013
IPVMU Certified

i received emails from him as well, back in june and on tuesday... perhaps he is a member of ipvm, curious if he has emailed other members... he has his skype handle/address listed maybe that would be an interesting way to contact him...

JH
John Honovich
Nov 14, 2013
IPVM

I seriously doubt he's a member of IPVM nor that he's getting emails via IPVM (e.g., there's no way to get member's emails from us).

That said, obviously these Chinese manufacturers have built up extensive lists. I suspect at least part of it is via trade show booth scans and pooling amongst them.

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Nov 14, 2013
IPVMU Certified

I seriously doubt he's a member of IPVM nor that he's getting emails via IPVM (e.g., there's no way to get member's emails from us).

haha... no i didn't mean to imply you are giving away/selling emails... i am thinking the individual might be a little resourceful and see member names, search them and obtain emails from company websites...

CD
Chris Dearing
Nov 14, 2013

The strongest detterent might be simply send him an e-mail indicating that you are indeed interested in his product line and so you are handing him over to your designated trans-global liason for detailed discussions.

Wish him the best and then provide him with the e-mail for Jermi@h B.

C

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 15, 2013

Chris, I just want to let you know... that comment made my day. Thank you.

JH
John Honovich
Nov 15, 2013
IPVM

Ok, Chris gets the one month membership extension.

Anyone who wants to get in touch with Jeremi@h, his email is jb@arkhamasylum.com, give him my best...

CD
Chris Dearing
Nov 15, 2013

Thanks! I am most gracious...

But seriously judging by this profile I'm assuming is him, we shouldn't be so hard on him, he is just a youngin' trying to sell, sell sell!

Tho sales may not be his calling.

Perhaps you have an opening on staff for a low-light shootout model?

Low light shootout wannabe

Real potential eh?

C

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions