Subscriber Discussion

Has Anyone Used A CVI DVR As An Inexpensive Way To Link In Long Distance Cameras?

JM
John McKinney
Oct 16, 2015

I have a Residential customer with a need for three cameras at his driveway gate. He needs a pinhole camera inside the call box, an activity camera facing outwards towards the street on the gate column, and a license plate capture camera. The gate is 600 feet from the house. All three cameras can be sourced with CVI as the transmission protocol. Theoretically they can be integrated into the home network camera system with a HD CVI DVR / encoder. The solution is half the price of network cameras with POE extenders.

Any thoughts on doing it this way?

U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 16, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Is the trenching done and the cable laid already?

Is there power at the gate?

David Johnson
Oct 16, 2015

A single RG-6 with an ethernet over coax solution might be less expensive and give you more options for the camera end than CVI devices. Altronix makes a solution with a 4 port switch on the end device I think and it has a decent POE budget even at 600+ feet. 8 x 8 Weatherproof Jbox and you're good to go.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 16, 2015
IPVMU Certified

So something like this?

Looking quickly, those are probably around $400, is that fair?

U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 16, 2015

Seems like you'd need a lot of cabling, the way you describe it you'd be backhauling each camera on its own cable back to a centralized CVI DVR, which then fed into the IP camera system?

Long outdoor cable runs can also be excellent (in a bad way) methods to induce electrical issues into a system.

I'd look at using a pre-terminated fiber run and a couple of cheap switches at either end with fiber ports, or a mini switch with fiber at the far end (http://www.amazon.com/LS5004PF-CCTV-Port-Network-Switch/dp/B00JTITQ1I) and a transceiver at the house.

Fiber would give you the ability to overcome the distance, and also give you electrical isolation between the remote cameras and the rest of the system.

U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 16, 2015
IPVMU Certified

So something like this?

Looking quickly, those are probably around $400, is that fair?

U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 16, 2015

Yes, basically those components (assuming there is ready power at the far-end, otherwise you need to pull a cable for power).

And yes, I'd expect you could get all the pieces for around $400, provided that you don't need to go to a direct-burial fiber.

EP
Eddie Perry
Oct 16, 2015

I use have used the altronix ebridge series personally they are awesome however if you your coax has bad ends you have just ruined your media converter.

also they push PoE over the coax as well good stuff max length I used was around 450ft with Poe powering 2 cameras. sure other brands offer somthing similar

U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 17, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Did somebody give the Ubiquiti guys the day off or what? ;)

JM
John McKinney
Oct 17, 2015
Sorry for the long time no response. There are three cat six cable's already pulled up to the gate by the previous homeowner. There is power at the gate since it's motorized
U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 17, 2015
IPVMU Certified

There are three cat six cable's already pulled up to the gate by the previous homeowner.

So you plan to use baluns and TP? Is it shielded Cat6 or unshielded?

Related:Testing HDCVI Over UTP

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions