Subscriber Discussion

Has Anyone Tried The Woshida IPC-8600 Camera Tester?

BH
Bill Hand
Apr 25, 2016

Hi everyone,

I've been seeing these testers listed on a few different places (Amazon, eBay), and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

They sell this in several flavors with different options, but some of them 'supposedly' will work with Analog/IP Cameras as well as TVI/CVI/AHD analog HD cameras. I think some models will even make you a cup of coffee and change your tires :)

It looks very interesting if it actually works. If the device will let you actually view the camera output from all the main camera variations, as well as provide 12vdc and POE level outputs, and has WiFi.

I bet one of the challenges though is connecting to the IP cameras' web interface and viewing video from there as most of the cameras I've worked with have a plug-in that may or may not work with your browser.

From what I understand, it is running Android OS in the background, but don't know what version.

They are probably sold under a dozen other Chinese names as well.

Thanks.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 25, 2016
IPVM

Bill, thanks for asking.

That tester has come up a number of times on IPVM discussions (e.g., here) and with a few positive comments. We've been reluctant to test because so far all have been clearly OEMs (including Securitytronix, CCTVCameraPros, etc.).

Woshida might actually be the real manufacturer. At the very least, they show significant details on their website and a photo of what looks to be a factory.

Net/net, we want to test one and unless someone can confirm Woshida is not the real manufacturer, we will buy and test one of them.

(1)
BH
Bill Hand
Apr 26, 2016

They sell quite a few versions with the same basic design.

One appears to be just for IP cameras, one for just analog, one for TVI, etc. and one that is "supposed" to do them all plus a DVM and fiber TDR.

If I could buy a device that would handle (in my case) IP, analog and TVI, and I can power the camera and see the output for alignment, it would be worth the price they are asking.

I'd love to hear some unbiased feedback from someone who isn't trying to sell me one :)

I've already bought a couple of devices that "almost" work, with the big Hangul being you can only view analog video from the devices screen, which means I have to jury rig something with my phone or tablet and WiFi (which may not be available or strong enough close to the camera)

I've read through the manual which is the usual Chinglish, but it doesn't appear to be very difficult to work with.

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 26, 2016

4-In-1 AHD & HD-TVI & Analog & IP Camera Tester

JH
John Honovich
May 03, 2016
IPVM

FYI, ADI is now selling the HD Combine Tester, through Triplett, a for nearly $700 USD.

AR
Austin Rich
Apr 26, 2016

This model seems almost too good to be true: TDR, audio in/out, VFL, SDI/AHD/TVI/CVI testing, built in POE, WIFI, DMM, etc. That's easily a couple grand in separate tools our techs roll around with. I look forward to seeing IPVM test it.

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 26, 2016
IPVM

Austin,

The 'Cadillac' of the series appears to be the IPC-8600MOVTSADH, which lists:

Woshida 7 Inch Touch Screen 1080P HDMI IP Camera CCTV Tester/POE Test/WIFI Digital Multi-meter/Optical Power Meter/Visual Fault Locator/TDR/SDI TVI/CVI/AHD Tester IPC-8600MOVTSADH Full Function

Anyone have feedback which model they want tested?

The first one mentioned is ~$425, the one right above is ~$660. We can buy whatever but I am curious how attractive the extra features are.

Again, if anyone has any information on who Woshida is and whether they are truly the original manufacturer / developer, let us know.

(1)
Armando Perez
May 01, 2016
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

That's basically the one we use. Techs love it. I'll have duston chime in.

(1)
BH
Bill Hand
Apr 26, 2016

Personally, I don't really care much about the fiber optic functions, and the Digital Multi-meter option is probably going to be pretty self explanatory. Might be handy to have available in a single device, but I usually have my Fluke meter within easy reach.

I consider fiber TDR a much more specialized device, and considering most fiber verification tools cost a lot more than this for just that functionality, I'm not sure how confident I would be in this type of device if I were running fiber.

I'm most curious about how the unit handles the different types of cameras. Can you power them from the device (although not critical as usually I would have cables/power run when I'm installing a camera), but it could be very handy for a lot of folks to quickly setup a test to ensure camera placement will compliment lens selection before running cables. I've got a tripod that will go up about 10' in the air, and built a mounting base with plywood to attach a camera.

I'm assuming that the underlying electronics are basically the same, so probably the model that handles analog/IP/AHD/TVI/CVI would give the best overall impression. Someone could buy the version that covers the flavors they need (I only need analog/IP/TVI).

The issue I have run into with the unit I have now (forget the model, but I'll post it later), is that I can power an IP camera, and I can do basic cable testing, and can even ping the device, but you can only view analog cameras on the screen. Kinda makes it not very useful when actually installing an IP camera (which is mostly what I plan to do). I'm new to the TVI/CVI analog HD stuff, but the Tri-brid DVRs give an option to swap the DVRs in an analog camera install, and then migrate to HD cameras as needed, without running new cables. Plus having a unified software client for all three types of cameras instead of having to use multiple software programs.

(1)
Vincent Tong
Apr 26, 2016

We oem this product and sell and support it to our customers. It is a pretty useful device, as it can come in many flavors. There is the base model with CVBS/IP only, or you can add on AHD/TVI/TDR/Multimeter options to it.

The test monitor has direct drivers for most ip cameras. Just having it for TVT/Dahua/Hik/UNV covers all their oems as well. The leftovers with Hisharp, hisilicon etc are covered as well. Most of the time the IPC test function would display the cameras, if not there is the built in ODM (onvif device manager) that will display cameras as well.

I have tested every thing from longse to hik,dah even speco works. However the only one that i can not get to work is Dedicated Micros IP cams. Even Arecont cams can be autofocus on the built in browser.

Has a built in DHCP server for cameras that default on DHCP or if it has a fixed ip just match the monitor to the same subnet etc.

Has a PoE injector or can just pass through poe from the switch. Neat monitor and pretty useful for the installers out there.

(3)
Ethan Ace
Apr 26, 2016

Vincent, is it Android based like the Tatung monitor? Just curious if you can install other apps on it if it is.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 26, 2016
IPVM

Vincent, great feedback!

So Woshida then is the original manufacturer? Just want to confirm.

Vincent Tong
Apr 26, 2016

It is not Woshida :)

(1)
Vincent Tong
Apr 26, 2016

It is a version of android, but the apps cannot be loaded directly on it. You cannot just load any apk files, it has to be somehow recompiled to an *.ipc2 file and then it could be locally installed on it. It does have many apps preloaded like ivms , gdmss etc

(3)
BH
Bill Hand
Apr 26, 2016

Another question is how bad is LCD washout in sunlight. I know nothing can overpower direct exposure, but some LCDs are better than others.

Vincent Tong
Apr 26, 2016

I mean i wouldn't compare the screen to any of the high end tablets (Galaxy/ iPad) but the screen is comparable to the low-mid range android tablets.

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 27, 2016
IPVM

I ordered the Woshida IPC-8600ADHS cited in the OP.

It looks like the original manufacturer does not sell direct so we need to pick form the dozens of re-labellers. I got the Amazon one, because of the ease/safety of doing business with Amazon.

Shipping estimate was a range of a few weeks but we will test it out and post a full report as soon as we get it.

Thanks everyone, thanks Vincent.

(2)
(2)
Kyle Folger
Apr 30, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I purchased one of these off eBay from China. I searched for a while and the one I ended up with is from Kkmoon. I'm sure they didn't manufacture it but the seller offered all the different options. I probably don't need the fiber connection but could find a use for it. Mine has the fiber, voltmeter, circuit tracer, and has all the module for testing CVI, AHD, and TVI. I tested it with CVI as I don't have any TVI or AHD cameras but I wanted to make sure it could test all varieties.

I haven't gone too in depth with it, but I can say it's probably the most useful for analog HD varieties since it's really plug and play. Motorized zoom control worked well and it was nice being able to easily power the camera from the tester.

As far as IP is concerned, once you have it setup, it works fairly well. However, it is going to be slower than a laptop, but I have yet to find a laptop to hand around my neck, and I'm not going to spend the money for a Panasonic Toughbook. I liked the built in POE and will find that very useful.

It is Android based and is of the more sluggish variety. There are some useful apps , like a flashlight app and cable tester. The circuit tracer works fairly well and you can choose different audible pulses.

I just turned it on again and it seems like there are some online updates. The update says for almost all the apps listed: "Update : fixed the bug." The one for TVI app says "Update : fixed the bugs." So I guess if it's plural they did indeed fix more than one...haha.

Is it worth the money? Considering what it does and the lack of a real alternative I would say yes so far. I am just getting tired of risking a laptop on a ladder when I can put this around my neck. It won't solve everything, but I like it for just the quick tools being included in an all-in-one unit and a carrying bag.

(3)
Kyle Folger
Apr 30, 2016
IPVMU Certified

And to add on to my post. After the update of the Onvif HD app it pulled up my 4MP Hik cameras fairly quickly. Before the update, it wasn't as smooth. This is now faster than pulling out a laptop for Onvif configuring.

(2)
Armando Perez
May 01, 2016
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

We've bought two from a Chinese supplier called metricu. The first one broke, they actually supplied tech support and when we were not comfortable raking it apart and soldering a 6 month old part, they replaced it. We then bought a second one with cvi, tvi, sdi, analog and ip. My techs love them. Not sure if metricu is the actual manufacturer or not, but so far the experience has been great for china. The last one was about $50 cheaper than domestic purchase after shipping and the wire transfer fee.

(2)
DN
Duston Nielson
May 01, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I have used this tester! It works perfectly! For installation, the on board PoE helps a lot with IP cameras. You can take snapshots and show customers the view. There's also an hdmi output, to display to a monitor. On motorized lens', there's those buttons on the tester. For troubleshooting, you can test the PoE at the camera. The tester shows power ratings coming from the PoE switch. There's also a toner built in to find the cable. With built in wifi, this allows you connect to customers wifi, and see all the cameras. My tester also has analog and coax HD inputs for testing views.

This is android based, which allows you to download apps for live views using the play store. There's a browser built in to use the web to login to the camera. The battery takes a full day to charge, but will last several days with heavy use.

I can't say many bad things about this. The main thing for me is when you push the power button to put the tester to sleep, and then push the power button to wake it up, it stays asleep. You have to hold the power button for 10 seconds to turn it completely off, then turn it back on.

Overall, this is a great tool for any technician installing or servicing cameras of any kind. This has many benefits and is worth every penny.

I'd give this 5 stars!

(4)
GH
Greg Haynes
May 03, 2016

I have the Washiba tester. It is a great selling tool. I take the potential customer around their property with an IP camera connected, I hold the camera the customer wears the display, and we lay out where the cameras will need to go. This gives them the correct perspective of what they are getting. (no unpleasant surprises after the install!) I explain that I want them to get what they are wanting/needing not just what someone wants to sell them. I feel it gives them the "I care" feeling. It saves a lot of time as well as I can install a camera, adjust it, then I don't have to ever come back to that camera. Only negative I have is that if the battery is connected it will be dead the next time you get it out.

(3)
MB
Mark Bottomley
May 03, 2016

We purchased 30-ish of the previous model that does not support TVI (We only have IP cameras - ~10,000). The supplier said the TVI support was the only difference in the new model. It appears to work well with the major camera brands. The version we bought was relabelled?? from Impath Networks (a Canadian company), but is an identical looking Android based tester. Results to date:

• one battery started smoking (it was too young to start :) ), no damage to the unit - replaced by the supplier
  • old Axis 210/211 could not connect - supplier solved the issue
  • nice stuff - supports PoE
  • there are several different programs for connecting to cameras - you need to select the correct program for your camera and it is not always obvious
  • no other complaints/problems - excellent supplier support
(2)
RH
Rob Herrington
Jun 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I just received one of these two days ago, and I am still learning, but so far none of my IP cameras come up on the thing. (I may not be selecting the correct but not obvious program).

I'll keep trying and let you know, but if anyone has helpful tips or more documentation than what was in the box, please let me know.

Thanks -

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jun 17, 2016

This review of the unit may help?

GH
Greg Haynes
Jun 18, 2016

Go to settings /network and set the correct ip scheme to match the default up scheme your camera has then try to login to a camera

(1)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Jun 18, 2016
IPVMU Certified

We have bought probably close to every conceivable one that has been on the market at one time or another including the I-pook, various tablet style testers, laptops and Surface pro's but the technicians love the Triplett 8070 better. They say its easy to use, easy to handle and less hassle than the others. Only drawback is NO fiber testing features!!

The Triplett 8070 may cost a few bucks more but it is well worth it.

RH
Rob Herrington
Jul 18, 2016
IPVMU Certified

John - Have you tested this yet?

I have yet to get a camera to show up on it, and recently spoke to a local tech whose company bought close to ten, and they have yet to get any to work. They suggested that I send it back.

Rob

Ethan Ace
Jul 18, 2016

Rob, we tested it here. Generally we didn't have problems getting cameras to work with it. The ONVIF app worked better than any of the others included for specific makes.

What type of cameras are you trying to connect? And how are you going about it (Scanning the network for them? Connecting via PoE/DHCP?)

RH
Rob Herrington
Jul 18, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I have tried to connect several different cameras (several of the Axis P & M series, Avigilon (which I really didn't expect to work)), using several of the methods offered.

I cannot get it to recognise a connection at all.

Rob

Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 18, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

My business partner owns one and, while it is clearly a Chinese designed product, it does work. If they could get a western based designer to remake the interface and icon systems, I think it would be a great product. The one we use is branded KKMoon, but I think they are all very similar.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions