Subscriber Discussion

Has Anyone Tried A Cheap Android TV Player And IVMS-4500 For A HIK Public View Monitor?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 12, 2017

curious as to if it's doable and the performance level.  

These run newest Android and sell for under $50.   Sample https://www.amazon.com/Newest-Leelbox-Android-Dual-WIFI-Supporting/dp/B01N63M03X

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Sep 12, 2017

Seems like a good idea. My only question would be getting the iVMS-4500 App. If it uses the Google Play Store then you should be fine. If it uses some third party app platform you could be in trouble. 

UI
Sep 12, 2017

For android phones it's downloaded from Google Play (app store), I would assume an Android TV would have similar access.

Sean Nelson
Sep 12, 2017
Nelly's Security

absolutely! works like a champ. with one caveat

The only issue sometimes is that when you have a network dropout or whatever, your video drops. And when that happens, you have to manually restart the video. 

I think a better option would be to get a mini pc and run ivms4500 pc software. But then you are starting to approach the costs where it just makes sense to get a Hikvision NVR (no poe) with no hard drive and use it for the sole purpose of using it as a spot monitor device. IMO that is the best route.

(1)
(2)
UI
Sep 12, 2017

Thanks Sean, good points.  In my immediate case, the customer has an analog HD-TVI dvr, so I'm not sure I could connect an NVR to it, could I?  It would be a fun hack, set the "camera" as HIK protocol and shared IP address.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions