Subscriber Discussion

Has Anyone Tried A 128GB Or Larger SDXC Card In An Axis Camera?

SS
Scott Sheldrake
Aug 09, 2015

I've searched extensively on Google and IPVM and cannot find anyone who has attempted to use a 128GB SDXC card in an Axis camera. Success or failure I'd like to know if it's possible.

The official Axis response is that they support 64 GB SDXC cards max, but they can't say if Axis cameras will support 128GB cards.

Has anyone actually tried using a 128GB or larger SDXC card in an Axis camera? Please let me know. Specifically I'd like to use this in an Axis P3367-VE (5MP camera)

Thanks!

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 09, 2015
IPVM

Scott,

Do you just want to know if it will technically work or whether Axis will support / warranty it?

Related: Axis recently OEMed a special Sandisk SD card with 3 year warranty but only for 64GB.

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 09, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Two years later, and still no one can prove whether you could slay a twenty-foot man. :)

(1)
SS
Scott Sheldrake
Aug 09, 2015

Just want to know if it will technically work.

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 09, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I have a P3367-V and a 128GB (PNY ?) SDXC card in a different device.

I'm out right now, but will be home in a couple hours and I could try it.

You just want to see if it recognizes it, and will record to it?

(1)
SS
Scott Sheldrake
Aug 09, 2015

Yes please I would love to know both : if the camera recognizes it and if it will record/write to it.

Thanks very much this will save me quite a bit of work!

TC
Trisha (Chris' wife) Dearing
Aug 09, 2015
IPVMU Certified

So far, so good. Had to format it, no surprise. Recorded and played a small clip without incident. I'll let it go until it starts to roll, in case it stops short or otherwise has trouble.

(2)
SS
Scott Sheldrake
Aug 09, 2015

Thanks so much for posting this, it was a huge help! According to Google, you're the first person in the history of the internet to do this (or at least note it online) :)

JH
John Honovich
Aug 09, 2015
IPVM

Thanks, Chris.

Related, I asked Axis about their support / warranty / recommendation on this. I will update when I hear back.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 10, 2015
IPVM

Axis responded. 128GB cards are not officially supported. As undisclosed 1 shows, it is possible that they work but are not officially supported. Factor that in and, minimally, use a high-end SD card (discussed here for 64GB).

CD
Casey Dalpias
Aug 11, 2015

I tried a 128 Samsung evo SD card in a P1427 with no luck. Updated to the newest firware on the device, but the card was never recognized by the camera to format it or anything. Put in a 64g card, same brand, same formatting and it worked no problem.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 11, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Weird. Mine was actually a Samsung evo 128 as well, uhs-1, micro SD with adapter.

It said 'Unknown format' at first. Firmware 5.60.1.

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 11, 2015
IPVMU Certified

After being reminded of Axis plain config by Ethan, I looked at the Storage link. This is what mine shows:

Maybe there is something to try there?

BE
Brian Elias
Oct 01, 2015

Scott: Just wondering if you ended up using a 128+ GB card in the P3367? I have one that's running short on storage space with a 64GB and I'd like to give it a try...

Thanks.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions