Subscriber Discussion

Has Anyone Reviewed NFPA-3000?

Jerry Wilkins
Apr 23, 2018

I am curious if anyone has started to prepare their customers for the release of NFPA-3000.  This new standard spells out how to create an ASHER Program "Active Shooter Hostile Event Response" Program.  I have only seen the "draft" however it has several "Shall" statements about utilizing NIMS and ICS.  The Standard will be released on 01MAY2018.  This new Standard is a great step in the right direction.

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Apr 23, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I am curious how many integrators and end users currently utilize or are familiar with NIMS (National Incident Management Search) and ICS (Incident Command System).

I suspect end user requirements/education will need to take place first.  Do you think Systems Integrators will play a key role in this?

(1)
Jerry Wilkins
Apr 23, 2018

Brian,

In my opinion it will be up to the integrator to help their clients adopt this new Standard.  Our company has been working to developed a "sales" program to teach security sales people and project managers the basics of "All Hazard Event" response.  Systems Integrators spend money to train technicians how to install "stuff" however most security sales have no idea what the risk formula is  ( R=(T ×V)/C ×I) or how technology (C= Countermeasures) can be written into an EOP and leveraged during a critical incident.  If you have listened to the audio from Parkland it is obvious that if there was a ASE program in place, no thought had been given to using the video to provide situational awareness.  Very sad, in Parkland the shooter was in and out a 7 minutes.  EMS had established a CCP less than 200 yards from the front door but, first responders could not enter because the scene was classified as a Hot Zone.  As an industry we must do more to help our customers utilize the technology we sell.  To do that our sell people must understand how things are done when you go Right of Boom.

(1)
Ross Vander Klok
May 18, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Since NFPA is not a governing authority I would be surprised if any of my integrators or vendors even mentioned this to me. 

I agree that anything that can help prepare for and/or assist in situations like this is a good thing. Unfortunately, due to the time, money and effort required to get a program like this rolling in a corporate environment, it would have to be pushed down from the very upper levels of management.      

(1)
(1)
Jerry Wilkins
May 18, 2018

Ross,
There is no doubt that not many people are familiar with this new "regulatory guidance" (NFPA-3000). However, most of the larger companies I speak with have a comprehensive "All Hazards" Emergency Operations Plans (EOP) in place.  Hostile events like Active Shooter or Workplace Violence are now classified as "All Hazards" events. Adding an ASHER Program Annex to the existing plan and utilizing the "in place" technology is not that difficult. Unfortunately, I don't find a lot of companies utilizing the concept of Resource Typing for the technology they are considering for purchasing or that is already in use. If you look at the FEMA RTLT tool, it does not recognize technology as a "typeable" resource. I am not sure why FEMA does consider Video or Access Control as a resource that can typed into the EOP to provide situational awareness during a hostile event or any critical incident. If you were creating an Annex for a flood, the RTLT provides information on every type of pump you can imagine. Any EOP/Annex must be fidelity tested to insure it will work when a critical incident occurs.  I believe NFPA-3000 has developed a defensible, adaptable plan that can be implemented to improve outcomes of any All Hazard event.     

Ross Vander Klok
May 21, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I do not disagree in the slightest with any of that Jerry.  We have plans in place for fire, weather, chemical spills, etc. etc. etc. However, the active shooter plan is just nowhere near as in-depth as the issues we face on a daily or weekly basis are.  nature of the beast.

I am NOT saying that it shouldn't be, just simply that it isn't.  Would I like it to be substantially more robust?  Of course.  

Jerry Wilkins
May 21, 2018

Ross, 

When creating any EOP Annex (fire, weather and chemical spills) there are many similarities in what needs to be done to improve the outcome of those events.  For example, Fire Annex would include on-site capabilities (resources) and MOU's in place with local and regional first response capabilities.  The table tops, drills or exercises you would run for a fire event could have similar response procedures to an ASE/WVE... evacuate, muster points and the use of technology (point ID Fire Alarm for notification).  I believe an enhanced ASE plan or as NFPA-3000 calls it ASHER Program can be accomplished by leveraging the in place technology (Video "situational awareness", Access Control "lockdown" Mass Notification) and response protocols already in place. In the Solo Engagement and TECC training I took, they taught us you don't rise to the occasion you fall to your level of training.  Just a thought.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions