Subscriber Discussion

Has Any One Had A Request For A Camera To See Ghosts Or Poltergeists?

Mike Rose
May 11, 2018

Had an integrator call about a request from a Country Club who thinks they are possessed by the ghost of a cook who died in the kitchen.

Evidently they are having issues keeping dining help because they are seeing evidence of some type of possession.

Any suggestions? 

(1)
JH
John Honovich
May 11, 2018
IPVM

Related: Would You Sell And Install A CCTV System To Catch Ghosts?

I would treat it as a normal scenario and focus on using the system to discover / prove any real (non-ghost) perpetrators.

On the other hand, if they are convinced its a ghost, they may be more of a headache than its worth.

(3)
(1)
LT
Larry Tracy
May 13, 2018

IR cameras help show activity you wouldn't ordinarily see. 

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
May 13, 2018

"Any suggestions?"

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
May 13, 2018

You can just spread the up-front exorcism fees into a manageable monthly services contract.

(7)
Sean Cottrell
May 13, 2018

I've had a site pay to have cameras upgraded to IR for the soul purpose of identifying ghosts. Before this security were too scared to leave the guard post.  and magically all the ghosts disappeared.. But this is in Indonesia

(3)
HD
Heng Dju Ong
May 14, 2018
IPVMU Certified

There are so many similar cases here in Indonesia as the people here are really believing in such stuff. I have been asked this exact same question so many times.

In fact there used to be a TV series that solely exposing the ghost possessing activity and another TV show is daring the participant to stick around in a haunted places, some of them ended up possessed or quit in the middle due to spooky activities (sights, smell, sound).

The sights that caught on camera are usually a blur of like slow shutter speed, nothing is really clear.

In your guard case, perhaps he just needed moral support... ;-)

(1)
Carl Lindgren
May 14, 2018

"soul purpose".  I like what you did there.

(3)
U
Undisclosed #1
May 13, 2018

"...for the soul purpose of identifying ghosts."

pretty positive this play on words was unintentional - but I voted it funny anyway.

(2)
Ari Erenthal
May 14, 2018
Chesapeake & Midlantic

If you use an oversized IR illuminator, set the camera to JPEG, and compress the heck out of the image, you'll see plenty of "ghosts".   

(6)
UE
Undisclosed End User #2
May 14, 2018

Thermal is pretty common for Ghost hunters.  A former company I was with went to a ghost hunting convention to try to sell thermal and extremely low lux cameras.  Not a lot of money in ghost hunting, so no one was really excited about a $5,000 thermal camera 

(1)
(2)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #3
May 14, 2018

We get calls from time to time from 'Ghost Hunters' or paranormal Investigators. One ambitious caller explained to us, that he was getting ready to do a Ghost Hunting TV show and that we should 'give' him a system and our reward would be Free Advertising once the show took off. 

Coincidentally, this showed up on my personal FB feed this weekend under the heading:

Could a Security Camera have Captured a Miracle?

Could a Security Camera have captured a Miracle?

Different subject matter of course but filed under the same heading.

(1)
Carl Lindgren
May 14, 2018

Where I work, a number of years ago a number of people swore they saw a ghost on the roof of the building. We actually installed a camera to try to catch video of it but we never saw anything out of the ordinary.

Years later, and after we started recording our cameras digitally, a user claimed we had captured a ghost on video. Upon review, it certainly appeared that way: a person suddenly appeared in the middle of a walkway, walked about 10 feet, then disappeared.

It turns out the cause had nothing to do with ghosts. In actuality, a bad Parallel SCSI connection was causing I-frame drops due to SCSI's tendency to throttle back the data rate when connections weren't perfect. It was originally U-160 (160Mb/s) but would throttle back to 80Mb/s or even 40Mb/s. At the time, we were recording that server at ~70Mb/s. 

(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
May 14, 2018

I was asked by a "famous extra-terrestrial" (according to him) researcher to provide a PTZ that could look up at the sky and track a UFO in the event one were in the area.  He was going to spend big money on it if it worked.

I told him I personally guaranteed that if it missed a confirmed sighting I would return his money, just pay up front.  I felt confident he couldn't prove it didn't work, at least in my lifetime.

All I heard after that was crickets!

(4)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
May 15, 2018

So for some crazy reason I decide to look at AOL.COM and sure enough there is a "Cameras catch ghosts" section.

I would be a lot of money this camera is inside a room, looking out the window.

Camera catches ghost girl

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
May 15, 2018

I had a client swear that someone was breaking in her house and stealing the little metal magnet clips on the kitchen cabinets. No problem, I had a system for her, we were gonna catch those bandits until her sister got involved and did not agree with me.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
May 15, 2018

No, but Axis will surely have a niche product available soon.  Hikvision will copy soon afterwards.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #7
May 15, 2018

The only way to catch "ghosts" on video is to record at 100,000 IPS with Ultra Super Duper WDR (whatever that is) and Ultra Super Duper Ghost Catcher Low Light technology (whatever that is). In some UFO cases that might not even be enough!!!

Run away!!!

Meghan Uhl
May 23, 2018

Is the security business experiencing a lull in May?  If we're discussing how to catch ghosts I'm thinking business must be pretty darn slow :)

TH
Tamara Helgeson
May 30, 2018

Search youtube for Gettysburg ghosts on camera.  Wondering how some of those would be explained in technical terms?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions