Subscriber Discussion

H.265 Storage And BW Benefits Great, But We Most Often Revert To H.264

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 11, 2019

While the storage and bandwidth benefits for H.265 are great, we most often have to revert to H.264 streams as 9-16 H.265 streams will slow most user client machines to crawl.  While most sites do not mind buying a beefier client computer for a dedicated guard workstation they are less willing to buy new machines for the other 5-10 people who are also users.  This essentially makes H.265 a negative for us.

NOTICE: This comment was moved from an existing discussion: H.265 / HEVC Codec Tutorial

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jan 11, 2019
IPVM

#1, thanks for sharing. I made this its own discussion as I am curious how much of an issue, or not, this is for other integrators.

We will also do an H.265 codec usage survey this year, to get a more formal response.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jan 04, 2021

Was the H.265 usage survey ever done? I tried looking for a link but couldn't find one. I was curious, but willing to bet it'd be really low usage.

JH
John Honovich
Jan 04, 2021
IPVM

We did one in 2019 H.265 Usage Statistics 2019

I've scheduled a new one for 2021.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jan 04, 2021

Thanks!

SD
Shannon Davis
Jan 14, 2019
IPVMU Certified

I have tried H.265 a couple of times with Bosch cameras and their DIVAR IP recorders and it does start slowing down the recorder and client. Put a few on Milestone and it makes my virtual machine start slowing down a bit. We haven't deployed h.265 in the field yet as we don't need anymore service calls than we already get. Someday this will be useful I'm sure but for now it is not. Just like h.264 and motion recording in the mid 2010's wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

The big change now will be having more NVR's with the appropriate graphics cards installed to help take the processing load from the main processor. Of course just as NVR's start coming down in price we throw a graphics card back in the mix and there go the savings. 

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jan 14, 2019

The big change now will be having more NVR's with the appropriate graphics cards installed to help take the processing load from the main processor. Of course just as NVR's start coming down in price we throw a graphics card back in the mix and there go the savings.

It's likely that H.265 decompression will be pushed off to the integrated video card in many processors/motherboards in the near future.  However, based upon some of the IPVM articles mentioning the fractured market I'm thinking there needs to be a bit more standardization first.

(1)
Clint Hays
Jan 15, 2019

It is definitely something to factor into your design. Storage is cheap compared to processing resources these days and LAN speeds have gotten a lot higher on average so the extra compression may not make sense in a lot of applications.

H.265 is like buying furniture from IKEA and MJPEG is like buying fully built furnitre. One is easy to ship but the other is easy to install; it's your choice which is correct for you.

(4)
(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions