Subscriber Discussion

Have Any Manufacturers Figured Out How To Display H.265 On A Browser Without A Plugin?

Sean Nelson
Sep 19, 2018
Nelly's Security

Are there any manufacturers who have figured out how to display h.265 video on a browser without a plugin? Or are any manufacturers able to display h.265  video on (FF,Chome, Edge, etc) with or without a plugin?

Sean Patton
Sep 19, 2018

I believe only Safari, IE and Edge support native h.265 decoding, and it isn't fully supported. From what I read Chrome and Firefox are not actively developing for it, instead focusing on AV1 formats.

There's not much the camera manufacturers can do in this case, other than recommend browsers that may or may not support it - so why bother developing it?

(1)
Clint Hays
Sep 19, 2018

Also remember that H.265 requires more CPU processing resources than H.264. This means you can choke down a computer quicker if you're looking at a lot of H.265 streams. Most VMS's don't utilize GPU decoding for H.265 yet.

(1)
sS
sundar Subramanian
Sep 20, 2018

What are the challenges on the browser side to support H.265 decoding using AV1 or VP9..

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 20, 2018
IPVMU Certified
(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Sep 20, 2018

Hanwha currently has support for HTML5 display of video with/without plugins.  An upcoming firmware will provide higher resolution & frame rate display.  In addition, new models are completely removing plugins, so true plugin-free cameras, with access to live, setup, etc.

Here is a screenshot of the latest firmware (not yet released).  Notice that this is in Chrome, and is displaying H.265.  The browser display may not support the highest resolution/frame rate, however, and results (resolution/framerate combo) will vary depending on the browser used.

Currently, I have tested FF, Chrome, & Edge.  Ironically, IE no longer supports H.265, as there is now no plugin, and it is an old obsolete browser :(.

(3)
Sean Nelson
Sep 20, 2018
Nelly's Security

Wow! I didnt think those browsers supported h.265. Is there some sort of conversion that is taking place to make it display on the browser without plugin

Sean Patton
Sep 20, 2018

This must be a work around because according to Google, and as I said in my other comment, this is only what I have read from Google resources (latest comment I could find was Jan 2018):

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions