Subscriber Discussion

Guard Tour Systems Compliment Video Surveillance?

RR
Ramy Reshid
Feb 12, 2013

Guard tour systems - can they compliment video security?

JH
John Honovich
Feb 12, 2013
IPVM

Ramy, when you say, 'guard tour systems', do you mean a system that tracks where the guard is walking on site or a system that allows guard to remotely monitor a site?

RR
Ramy Reshid
Feb 21, 2013

Hi John, I'm talking about a system that tracks where the guard is walking on a site. We often get clients that request such systems when deploying CCTV systems.

JH
John Honovich
Feb 21, 2013
IPVM

When you say 'compliment', what do you mean? Integate the two? As in send an event from the guard system when a guard checks in or?

Brian Rhodes
Feb 21, 2013
IPVMU Certified

In my experience, "guard tour system" are a polite way of ensuring "guards aren't napping". I understand there are somewhat broader, more noble applications for these systems, but let's not mince words describing why they are commonly used. :)

In many cases, an access control system can be used as a guard tour system. The guard scans a card at a reader at an appointed time/interval to log presence. A report on that specific card number shows guard activity during a time period.

Can these systems complement each other? In the normal ways that video compliments access control, yes. It can help verify the guard indeed is the person scanning a card or fob, rather than someone else. Beyond that, I'm not sure it's a compliment, only because of the very specific purpose behind installing a guard tour system.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions