Grow A Beard, Make More Money

JH
John Honovich
Jan 09, 2014
IPVM

I always wondered why so many security people had beards.

Now I know. This experiment shows beards make you more money.

Ethan Ace
Jan 09, 2014

They also keep you young, healthy, and handsome.

I'm a living testament to all these facts, obviously.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 29, 2022

Only for people like you and Aaron.

Ari Erenthal
Jan 09, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

I was still shaving every day when I started in this business, but... well.

CD
Chris Dearing
Jan 09, 2014

And you no doubt attributed your growing remuneration to your ever increasing "technical expertise" and "industry knowledge" but we now know it was mainly due to "lack of shaving". ;)

CD
Chris Dearing
Jan 09, 2014

And why there are so few women...

Hal Bennick
Jan 10, 2014
Trafficware, a CUBIC Company

I'm still holding out for my unibrow to come in to style.

Carl Lindgren
Jan 10, 2014

You haven't (and won't) see mine. I can't grow one - too many bald spots from Agent Orange exposure.....

Gerald Becker
Jan 25, 2014

My close ratio sky rocketed once I let the beard out. Highly recommend it for a least one sales cycle.

JH
John Honovich
Feb 27, 2014
IPVM

Guys are getting beard implants, no joke. Must want to get into security industry!

Ari Erenthal
Feb 27, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Maybe we could start a foundation to donate beards to hipsters. Like Locks of Love, but for beards. Beards for Bros? They can have mine.

JH
John Honovich
Nov 15, 2015
IPVM

Here you go beard people:

(1)
(1)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 29, 2019
IPVM
Sergio Guzman
Aug 29, 2019
Pine Crest School • IPVMU Certified

nooooooooo, ;)

Anthony Jones
Aug 29, 2019

Timely this is popping up again in time for No Shave November.

Lynn Harold
Aug 29, 2019

If the 'beard maketh the man', what maketh the lady?

(This should be interesting)

(4)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 29, 2022
IPVM

New study with similar results: Why Salesmen Should Consider Growing Beards - WSJ

When participants rated their perceptions of Mike as a salesman, the bearded version always scored highest: 10.6% higher for expertise when compared with the clean-shaven version and 11.6% higher for trustworthiness.

In a similar study, she had Mr. Mittal (called “Mike” in the test) shave his beard using standard razor lengths. The versions with facial hair scored 5.65 on a scale of one to seven for expertise and knowledge, compared with 5.12 for the clean-shaven image.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 29, 2022

Wow! Look at the list of commenters. This is a classy post.

Hans Kahler
Jul 29, 2022
Eagle Eye Networks

When this topic was originally posted, ~8 years ago, I didn't have a beard. I do have a beard now and I don't know that anyone trusts me more. In fact, I feel the opposite might be true. But then again, maybe I'm just not trustworthy.

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 29, 2022
IPVM

LinkedIn poll results:

IPVM Image

JH
John Honovich
Nov 08, 2023
IPVM

HBS article: When Glasses Land the Gig: Employers Still Choose Workers Who 'Look the Part' - HBS Working Knowledge

For graphic designers, for instance, it is better to be female, and to have a high quality, professional-looking photo (with a small plus for glasses). Other hacks for programmers: Grow a beard and keep a computer visible, Troncoso finds.

RS
Robert Shih
Nov 08, 2023
Independent

I feel like I should be offended.

U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 09, 2023

humans like to think that all of our decisions are based on logic and reason.

these studies are just a reflection of reality smacking all of us in the face and proving that the sentence above is (statistically) pure folly.

we are all dumb animals - ruled by emotions we (collectively) do not really understand.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions