Subscriber Discussion

Got A Phone Call From Someone Saying Someone Impersonating Our Company Has Been Threatening Him

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 03, 2017

We just go the strangest call.

Some called our off asking for Jeff (not his name), when told there isnt a Jeff working here, he asked if this was a security surveillance company. When we said yes, he said that someone Jeff has been recording his conversations between him and someone else. Jeff then called and threatened this person and gave over personal information that was gathered. In that conversation, Jeff said "I own a surveillance company called XXXXX (which is our company) and we can spy on you anywhere".

This Jeff, used to work for us on a 10-99 for about 2 months and was fired about a year ago. I apologized to the caller and said he does not work for us anymore and if the police are to get involved, we have no problem assisting them.

Any suggestions? I do not know how many other people this guy may have threatened.

Thanks

Brian Karas
Apr 03, 2017
IPVM

I would contact your lawyer ASAP. A good first step may be to notify Jeff that his use of your business name, and representation as the owner, could case you severe liability, loss of customers, etc. and that if he does not immediately cease and desist you will seek full legal action and reimbursement for loss.

Most likely, Jeff has/had a beef with this person and is trying to get back at them. I would be surprised if he is just generally harassing people, unless you think he is specifically trying to harm your business in some way.

Either way, get a lawyer, send him a letter. Ensure that you are documenting things and taking steps to ensure it does not continue.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Apr 03, 2017

Lawyer up.  Today.  Now.  Pick up your phone.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Apr 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Some called our off asking for Jeff (not his name), when told there isnt a Jeff working here, he asked if this was a security surveillance company. When we said yes, he said that someone Jeff has been recording his conversations between him and someone else. Jeff then called and threatened this person and gave over personal information that was gathered. 

Any idea what the motive is?  Financial or otherwise?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions