Subscriber Discussion

Glass Coating To Deal With Dust On Cameras?

AL
Andrew Lund
Oct 31, 2013

Brings up another interesting question - anyone know of any good glass-coating products to add significant non-stick qualities for different types of dust? Perhaps by making use of static charge to repel specific types of particles based on their electro-chemical properties? I would think some digging around in the world of industrial coatings could reveal some interesting options, and might help reduce the need for wiping / washing.

NOTICE: This comment was moved from an existing discussion: Camera Housing With Wiper To Use In Quarries

Luis Carmona
Oct 31, 2013
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

I read in a discussion thread a few years ago about someone swearing to aviation glass cleaner.

MI
Matt Ion
Oct 31, 2013

Grrrrr I hate it when I accidentally close a tab I'm typing in and lose everything I posted so far...

Anyway... someone mentioned in the other thread, removable mylar film for the front glass... that's actually an idea that's been used for decades in motocross, with tearaway strips adhered to helmet visors especially for riding in muddy conditions.

And I recall seeing an product some 25+ years ago in a motorcycle magazine, for a motorized system that moved a strip of film from a roll across the visor... found one current product like this, called Mud Muncher.

And looking at that link, they actually have a prototype custom housing that extends this concept for sport POV cameras:

The Camera Mud Muncher is a self contained motorized film guiding system made of billet aluminum.  2 mil thick film is moved across the lens using a 12 volt DC gear motor.  With 15 programmable durations you can choose the right timing sequence for your application(optional).  The Mud Muncher is used to achieve optical clarity in adverse conditions such as, but not limited to: rain, snow, mud, dirt, bugs or any type of airborne debris.  Optical clarity can be achieved using the Mud Muncher in front of many types of optical processes, but is not limited to: your eyes, video cameras, cameras, visual surveillance systems, optical guidance. 

I would expect, for a reasonable cost, they'd be willing to custom-build something for most CCTV camera enclosures.  The period between "clearings" is programmable, so you could probably set it to only move once a week, or whatever the conditions dictate.

U
Undisclosed
Oct 31, 2013

Related to this post, has anyone ever used liquid repellents on their equipment like Ultra Ever Dry to prevent for example standing water which could over time seep into the housing -

Ultra Ever Dry Demo

If so, besides the obvious purpose, did you receive any additional benefits?

ED
Enrique Delgado
Nov 06, 2013

That would be a nice thing to have. I have seen cameras get real dirty after it rains then with the suns glare gets worst with the dust.

SA
Syd Anthony
Nov 08, 2013

Here's a few ideas....

I have been looking at using "mylar tearaway strip technology" many years ago but have turned off it now in the wonderful world of IP and megapixel cameras. Its clear plastic instead of glass in front of the camera producing high def images and has the potential of reducing video quality. Videotec make a housing with this technology if your interested however its Ex rated (i.e. for hazardous areas)...

If the area your camera housing is just a dusty location try looking at using compressed air - connected to a solenoid - operated from an aux of your vms- pointed at the front window of the enclosure. I had a customer do that for a mining job down here and it works a treat- just activate the solenoid when you want to blow dust off the front window. The usual method of water and fine dust usually means mud and doesn't work well...

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions