Subscriber Discussion

Gigabit Ethernet Over Coax

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 11, 2016

Hi Everyone,

I have a client that wants to use their existing plant coax network to get multiple cameras to existing locations. They have 5 runs that are about 1200' or so and they want to put 2 or 3 2MP IP-PTZ along with 3 or 4 4MP fixed-lens cameras in each area. (5 coax runs, 5-7 cameras in each area). The PTZ cameras will be recording almost constantly and the fixed-lens cameras are only on motion (30% of the time, 24 hours a day).

I am not sure that a 10/100 coax to ethernet bridge would cut it for the number of cameras going in each area. The only gigabit over coax I could find is a Startech EOC1110K, which has few reviews.

Has anyone used the Startech unit or a different brand that does gigabit? I am planning on locating the extenders in a NEMA4X enclosure with a heater if necessary, but I was hoping to get something that is meant for an industrial site if possible.

Thanks for any feedback.

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 12, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Watch Out!

What Startech considers 'doing Gigabit' is being able to put a link light on each Gig connection on both ends.

The data transfer rate is still 112 Mbps, Max.

Up to 112Mbps @ 2,952 ft (900 m)
Up to 64Mbps @ 1.5 mi (2.4 km)

It knows how to say hello in Gig, but that's about it. ;)

EP
Eddie Perry
Feb 12, 2016

I do see very few products that are in that category unfortunately i have not used any of them and havent heard anything good about them either. not 100Mbs over coax there tons of those around.

most of the ones i have seen that do 1G are carrier class devices. most price in range of about $2k-4K and you are not able to buy except though authorized dealers.

you could just do individual ones and link them into a 1G switch though I think that would be better in the long run cheaper too.

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 12, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Also, assuming you can get a full 100Mbps, I think it should be enough for 3 PTZ's and 4 fixed cameras. Especially if you haven't bought the cameras yet, and are willing to compress a little.

You should look at the h.264+ and Zipstream reports, they show massive savings possible with smart codecs.

UI
Feb 12, 2016

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback - I think I will grab a Nitek pair (rated for -40C) for 10/100 and play around with it, see what kind of speeds I can get. I will hopefully be able to use the advanced codecs (H.264+ or H.265), but there are few embedded units that currently support them. I wish Startech would stop pulling this crap with their marketing.

Reading the Ethernet over coax shoot-out, it seems that the best I can hope for is around 84Mbps, which is not ideal, but I may have to decrease the framerate to make it work. I will update the thread if I get the go-ahead for the project.

MG
Michael Goodwin
Feb 12, 2016

there is a thread here about someone asking to do something similar...

too hard to run a fibre with media converters to give you even more space to expand in future?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 12, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Integrator Problem:

...I have a client that wants to use their existing plant coax network...

Your Solution:

...run a fiber with media converters...

My Interpretation:

Use the existing coax to pull the fiber thru. ;)

EP
Eddie Perry
Feb 12, 2016

"Use the existing coax to pull the fiber though"

if its been in the ground/pipe out side for more than ten years you aren't pulling anything though, you will however have a nice 5-10ft piece of coax from the nearest junction box you tried to pull it from though. judging by what hes asking for all the coax is out side subject to harsh weather.

general rule if its been out side in the pipe for ever its going to stay there for ever.

MG
Michael Goodwin
Feb 12, 2016

oh wait, it was on another forum, anyway suggestion stands...

UI
Feb 12, 2016

Hi Michael,

It's a cost savings issue. Everything has to be piped and we figure most of the underground pipes are not in the best of shape (plant is 30 years old).

We ran the numbers to do fiber with converters throughout and the client would be happier spending $500 for a pair of Ethernet over coax if the throughput is sufficient.

MG
Michael Goodwin
Feb 12, 2016

ahh well, worth a shot, might work out well if he has to get you back in a few months/years to run the fibre you can double your money :)

AT
Andrew Thomas
Feb 14, 2016

Start here. http://www.mocalliance.org

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Looks fast but short. 300 ft. OP needs 1200.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions