Genius Installer Tool? Extension Firestop Caulk Guns

Brian Rhodes
Sep 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Does anyone use these when caulking holes in Firewalls?

Take a look:

This seems to be fairly useful to me, because an installer can caulk a high penetration without using a tall ladder.  Like a 4 foot stepladder to do cable runs 8' or 10' high.

On many job sites, there is a 'magic boundary' at 8 feet, where if you have workers doing elevated work then they need spotters, high work approvals, or even tie-offs.  Using this means an integrator could potentially avoid double labor costs doing firestop work.

On the downside, the installer using it would have Popeye forearms and get rocked up biceps using it, because it has to get heavy!

Is this extension caulk gun crazy, or would you use it?

Brian Karas
Sep 12, 2017
IPVM

Not sure I would trust a firestop caulk job done from a distance with something like that. Seems like high odds that you do not get a good seal, due to lack of maneuverability and visibility.

Brian Rhodes
Sep 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

That's a good point, and might be why this type of tool isn't common.  Not sure I want my firestopped holes open on top of the cable just because my installer used a shortcut tool.

U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Seems like high odds that you do not get a good seal, due to lack of maneuverability and visibility.

For $200 and 2 lbs, add in the custom boroscope:

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 12, 2017

This is trunkslamtastical, I bet this would debut with a ceiling popper technician with no containment on a OSHPD regulated job.

Ari Erenthal
Sep 12, 2017
Chesapeake & Midlantic

There's no way in hell I could hold this thing steady for long enough to do a good job. 

(1)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Sep 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Does anyone tag their firestops?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Sep 14, 2017

It's not like firestop is hard to squeeze out, or expensive.  I remember being required to leave the empty tubes on the site.  

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions