Subscriber Discussion

Genetec Omnicast; Eol? Migrate To SC Or Go To RFP?

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
May 23, 2017

Heard that by year-end, Omnicast will be end of life in favour of Security Center (apparently they already stopped offering training)? Anyone hearing similar?  

Challenge is our system has a couple dozen of federated sites with several hundred centrally monitored cameras. No intercom or access integration at this time. 

Question is anyone make the switch from Omni to SC? Pros v Cons? Pitfalls or lessons learned? Anyone move away from Genetec due to functional limitations of SC? 

Trying to figure whether we:

a) stay the course, go to RFP and replace in 36mths,

b) migrate within 6mths then a), or

c) move up the RFP. 

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
May 23, 2017

My suggestion is to contact a regional Genetec SE and get a demo license of SC to test out.

SC behaves very different than Omnicast at the GUI level.   It has a lot more options and 'tasks' to tune the system.  Once you learn where everything is, it is OK.

Performance wise, a lot depends on the throughputs of the cameras going to the existing servers.    From 'just a recording' perspective, the video engine is still Omnicast, however the extra hooks will slow it down a little bit.   If the existing servers were running near the 300Mbits throughput mark, you will want to mimic that setup with the demo licenses to see if the high throughput can be maintained.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
May 23, 2017

Good stuff from UM#2, but I, personally, think you'd be crazy to go to RFP. Just my opinion. 

Genetec is pretty much unquestionably the most sophisticated VMS on the market. The upgrade path from OC to SC is relatively painless, and other than some differences with how certain things are handled, you have little to be concerned about. Depending on the age of your server(s), you can couple an upgrade to the servers with an upgrade to the software and make it almost entirely painless.

As noted, Omnicast is still the foundation, but they are just pushing you away from standalone Omnicast to overall SC.

As UM#2 noted, contact Genetec and get a demo. Depending on the size of the system, get a demo license and confirm it works, then make the move. Much easier, and you'll be much happier long-term than going to RFP -- at least in my opinion. And no, I am not affiliated with Genetec, although we are a Genetec partner.

(1)
Jacob Hengel
Apr 10, 2022
YourSix

Of note - sophistication comes with cost and complexity. Many organizations move away from features they aren't using if life can be drastically automated/simplified/etc.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
May 25, 2017
IPVM

We received feedback from Genetec.

The later versions of Omnicast (4.6 - 4.8) are NOT end of lifed. However, they are on 'restricted availability' which means it is not available for new sales.

On the other hand, users of those Omnicast versions 4.6 - 4.8 "can expand their system, upgrade to the latest version of OM4 or SC and receive the benefit of tech support if they have an Advantage program contract."

To that end, I do not think you are forced to switch immediately or any time soon. However, Genetec overall is obviously focusing development on Security Center, and has been for some time, so if you are considering staying with Genetec, it is worth evaluating Security Center.

Lynn Harold
Apr 11, 2022

You can federate Omnicast 4.6-4.8 into Security Center. Perhaps build your new SC system and begin a clean cutover - new sites start with SC and older sites convert. In the interim, ask for a demo Fed license for the OC sites to bring them in to SC and migrate them at your leisure (or before the demo license expires). --OR--

If the OC sites are stand-alone, and to avoid Fed licenses - deactivate the OC Directory and add the residual 'archiver' (aka Expansion Server) to the new SC Directory. This of course assumes there's a solid network connection between the sites.

There are many way to integrate your new and legacy systems, this is just one suggestion. Be prepared for a few SQL tweaks to keep the databases intact so you don't lose any existing archives.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions