Subscriber Discussion

Genetec Not Really Recording

MK
Michael Kearns
Jul 27, 2016

We're running Genetec 5.4 SR3 and after doing an upgrade a month ago noticed that some cameras are not recording. Security Center says the recordings are there but when you go to review them there is nothing. The problem is not camera specific and our integrator has been unable to get a resolution from Genetec.

Is anyone else seeing this?

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 28, 2016
IPVM

Michael, I forwarded your question to Genetec corporate. I think getting them involved either to assess it themselves or to help the integrator would be the best way to quickly and accurately solve this problem.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 01, 2016
IPVM

Michael, Genetec says this was resolved. Let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

TW
Trey West
Aug 03, 2016

Any information on how this was resolved?

MK
Michael Kearns
Aug 03, 2016

They applied a patch to our system yesterday which did not fix our issues going back but they say will fix it going forward. At this point the best I can say is the jury is still out. I will know for sure if their fix worked over the next few days.

SP
Sean Patton
Aug 04, 2016

It sounds like an issue with writing to the SQL Archiver database. This will make the system save the video files to the HDD, but not have any index of where the video is located.

To fix the issues going back, there is an Orphan Video file finder, which is in the Genetec Program Files foldler. This utility can scan your recording HDD, compare the files with what records exist in the SQL database, and it can re-index the SQL database so that the past recordings are found and will be back in the normal video retention time rules. Otherwise if the database doesnt know the files exist, they wont be automatically scrubbed after your automatic delete dates (15, 30, 60 days).

Edit: Also as a side note, you can always post to the Genetec Forums at gtap.genetec.com and get quicker, more open answers from Genetec certified staff, other end users, etc. Full Fake Disclosure: I am the unofficial official Genetec Forum Fanboy.

(1)
(4)
AW
Alex Wasilesku
Aug 03, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I have run into similar situations on installations I have done in the past. What I found as the source of the issue is the Recording Config File generated after the camera was installed was corrupt. I needed to move it to a different port on the NVR (or completely delete the camera) and have it rebuilt its config file. After that everything worked perfectly.

(1)
MK
Michael Kearns
Aug 08, 2016

After posting this on here, Genetec devoted some needed resources to this issue and fixed it. I was very impressed with out quickly Genetec stepped in and worked up a fix. They have been very attentive and honestly I would recommend them in the future.

(2)
(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions