Subscriber Discussion

Genetec Customer Service Experiences?

IQ
Ino Quandus
Oct 22, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hi all,

Recently I requested a Milestone and Genetec trial so see which system would suit our monitoring center' needs best.

Milestone granted a 30 day trial period in instant download.

Genetec gave a auto reply that my 'request'  would be reviewed within a week. After a few days I recieved this email, with no further explanation or anything:

Dear Serge,

We have reviewed your request for access to the Genetec Portal. We are unable to give you access at this time.

If you have any questions about your request, please contact us at the following email: salessupport@genetec.com or via the Genetec Contact Us page.

Before I also requested info and a demo they offer via their website, both with still no response after more than a week or so.

I find it very strange that a sales channel of a company works likes this, but it is frustrating at the same time because I want to compare before we make a decision.

Any experiences like this with Genetec?

Thanks.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Oct 22, 2017

Typical , they think they are better than everyone else!

(4)
(1)
(3)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Oct 22, 2017
IPVMU Certified

When we work with clients, we hear our competitors do not do well in the sales process. No detailed proposal, no follow up etc. We tell our clients if this is how they behave in the sales process, how will they behave during warranty and support stage?

First impressions matter!

(6)
(1)
IQ
Ino Quandus
Oct 22, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The thing that frustrates me the most is the 'denial to the (trial) portal' with no additional explanation why. I am a serious prospect with a decent business, and when you receive an email like that it makes you feel kinda stupid. It does not make sense at all.

(2)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 22, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Sounds like Genetec is going to start the evaluation down a couple CS points :)

(1)
Brian Karas
Oct 22, 2017
IPVM

Serge -

I forwarded your comment to Genetec and did receive a response that they will look into this and get a reply. 

(1)
IQ
Ino Quandus
Oct 22, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Appreciate it thanks.

U
Undisclosed #3
Oct 22, 2017

After spending 10 minutes doing some background on your company - Protecta in Aruba according to your LinkedIn profile, I can find very little info on this company.

You rely on a facebook page, have no working website, nor any LinkedIn presence, nor any social media presence....

This may have contributed to Genetec's lack of interest in your company as a dealer.

(1)
(2)
(4)
IQ
Ino Quandus
Oct 22, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Aha, so you must be a full up and running company with social media presence to get access to a trial period??

Behind the scenes everything you mentioned is ready, but we are launching when we can be fully operational, and for that we need a good VMS in place. Chicken and egg...

I did not say I wanted to be a dealer either, my request was for the product as an end user. 

Also, your comment also does not say anything about the issue i pointed out: turning a prospect down without any reason given.

Your comments add very little to this discussion unfortunately.

(5)
(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 22, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Your comments add very little to this discussion unfortunately.

To resolve it, yes nothing.  To understand why, maybe a little, since it could be true, even though I would think that it would be short-sighted to treat a customer thusly.

Consider

1. Its Genetec, which has a reputation for haughtiness.
  2. Brian K. had no problem getting their attention.
  3. Someone who thinks like U3 could work at Genetec
  4. Its still Genetec

Have they replied to you yet?

(4)
U
Undisclosed #3
Oct 22, 2017

"Your comments add very little to this discussion unfortunately."

I'm sorry you took offense.  I offered an opinion as to what may have happened.

Here's another unsolicited thought:  Since you applied to the Genetec Portal - and are a prospective end user, perhaps this is not the approved way to go about getting a trial license from Genetec?

(2)
IQ
Ino Quandus
Oct 23, 2017
IPVMU Certified

This is where you land if you search 'trial version'. Demo license sounds to me like a trial. Then, when you click Demo License for example, you need to log in. If you don't have the login yet (which i did not) you are asked to fill in your credentials. After filling in all the info, I got the reply I mentioned. 

Andrew Elvish
Oct 23, 2017
Genetec Inc.

Hi Serge,

I took a look into what happened today and I think your request might have been misunderstood when it came in. In any case, our regional sales manager in your area will reach out to you on Monday to see how we can help you out.

As a note, Genetec does not offer a publicly available trial version of our Security Center Omincast VMS software, so I have a feeling this might have been where the problem came up.

Have a good evening,

Andrew Elvish
Vice President, Marketing
Genetec Inc.

(1)
(2)
IQ
Ino Quandus
Oct 23, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Appreciate it, thanks.

UE
Undisclosed End User #4
Oct 23, 2017

Genetec and Milestone are competitors, But we cannot trust on Milestone for technical support if any issue comes. We are having a very critical issue in our system but milestone technical support is not taking it serious and we are stuck in middle after spending millions on this project.

As far as, being end user, I think Genetec technical support is good. Though lack behind in some cases but being end user, after functionality , we also need technical support in case of disaster.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Oct 23, 2017

You have to be a dealer first before they will help you.  We inquired about becoming a dealer some years ago and they basically blew us off for some reason.  Since then I've sold thousands of VMS licenses from and countless servers so their loss I guess. 

SE
Sam Eskew
Oct 23, 2017

Try Avigilon instead. 

(2)
(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #6
Oct 23, 2017

Disclosure - I'm a Genetec employee

The SOP for potential new dealers is contact us, either via the "Contact Us" button on the website, or by phone and indicate your interest.

Your contact info will be quickly provided to one of our RSM who'll follow up with you, and can immediately provide demo license(s) for evaluation

IQ
Ino Quandus
Oct 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The Genetec regional sales manager reached out and really made an effort to accommodate in all requests. A bad start but in all honesty they turned it around. 

(6)
U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

A bad start but in all honesty they turned it around.

In all honesty, they don’t like bad press :)

(2)
(4)
U
Undisclosed #7
Oct 25, 2017

I am an end user with a tiny camera count -- fifteen!

Via Genetec website's "tell us about yourself" webform, my initial inquiry was concerning Genetec's subscription services and Security Center Compact. 

I could only imagine that the scope of the project is uncommon due to the site's size and location or type -- a private residence.

Genetec followed up within week, and I had an email exchange on one occasion and a phone call with a Regional Sales Manager during a separate instance.

Nevertheless, cameras on the property face public roads and sidewalks, consequently law enforcement may occasionally request surveillance footage that is time sensitive or of lethal circumstances. I clarified to Genetec that the camera count is small, yet it will occasionally send some to the big house.

Furthermore, I specified a Genetec partner in the region that is familiar with Bosch's products, making clear that is not a prerequisite for any demo license.

Concerning Milestone, I have a great appreciation for XProtect (I am using Essential+), and it's awesome that Milestone's demo licenses are on the nose; however, it is difficult to purchase Express+ or Professional+ if I see Genetec behind their walled garden with outstanding support for Bosch on paper (Bosch's IPP), amongst other issues with XProtect...

Get your violin.

Ultimately, I did not hear back from Genetec after being told that I would get a demo.

What are the requirements...

So, can you let us know when you are up and running?

(2)
Josh Hendricks
Oct 25, 2017
Milestone Systems

Are you able to elaborate on the deficiency you found with our Bosch device support? I believe we are also a member of their integration partner program. You can find more information about our partnership on their site here: http://ipp.boschsecurity.com/en/news-events/partner-integration-news/milestone-systems/milestone

This isn't a "me too" comment, I am genuinely curious what it is about Genetec/Bosch that excites you and whether there is something we aren't already doing to fill that gap.

I'd be doing us a disservice it I didn't also ask about that ominous ellipsis after "XProtect". What issues are behind that sentence? Anything specific you'd like me to follow up on?

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions