"Gamechanger" Cat6 Cable Claims PoE At Over 850': Would You Use This?

Ethan Ace
Mar 28, 2018

[IPVM Test - Paige Not A "GameChanger" Cable Tested]

We've been seeing increased marketing from Paige DataCom on their GameChanger cable, which they'll be showing at ISC in the ISC West 2018 Emerging Technology Pavilion.

IPVM Image

Their FAQ says they use increased gauge size and "carefully designed twisting" to achieve this. The increased gauge seems like it might cause issues with standard jacks or mod plugs, but they don't list wire gauge on their specs.

IPVM Image

Also, they seem to be an Axis technology partner, and heavily marketed an Axis case study, claiming $30,000 savings by eliminating an IDF.

What do you think? Would you use this non-standard cable? Why or why not? I'd especially be curious if anyone has used it and how it's performed.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 28, 2018

I saw this in the ISC West listing and it was the only item that really seemed unique. The lack of wire guage and detailed specs is a concern. 

I plan to stop by their booth, speak to them, and see if I can get a sample.  Since they are not a big brand such as Belden, West Penn, Commscope, Mohawk and so on I am a bit concerned and would not ever use without thorough testing in house.

UE
Undisclosed End User #7
Apr 05, 2018

I'm curious to why the big name providers wouldn't have thought to do the same thing

(1)
Marco Sanchez
Mar 29, 2018

I am assuming it maxes out at 1080P for IP Cameras?

(2)
Brian Karas
Mar 29, 2018
Pelican Zero

Why does it say 1080p? Are they trying to market to a keyword or something? IP video is packets, not frames. If can support 1080p at some bitrate, it should be able to support 4K at the same bitrate (albeit at a likely lower framerate/more compressed).

With the multitude of various 1080p cameras that range from MJPEG encoding to smart H.265, and bitrates all over the place for "normal" video, what does "1080p" support even mean?

The 1080p spec makes me think it would only support extremely limited throughput. Not something I would want to deploy in any new job, where 1080p video is basically entry level, and the customer may want 3/4/5MP, 4K, etc. in the future. Makes me think this cable is outdated before its even terminated.

(14)
(4)
U
Undisclosed #3
Mar 29, 2018
IPVMU Certified

You still got them beat by 150’ ;)

(1)
(2)
Brian Karas
Mar 29, 2018
Pelican Zero

:)

I've just about used up that spool of cable now, could not replicate that test today.

(1)
UI
Apr 02, 2018

Why does it say 1080p?

Nonsense specification sheet.  Altronix does the same thing with their PACE series UTP extenders, which are actually pretty decent.

(2)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Apr 03, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I think in both cases it’s an approximation based on the device/cable expected bit rate applied to an average 1080p camera with a decent amount of padding.

(2)
UI
Apr 03, 2018

I think in both cases it’s an approximation based on the device/cable expected bit rate applied to an average 1080p camera with a decent amount of padding.

I agree.  However, I would prefer to just know the supported bit rate and let me calculate from there.  From Brian's sample above someone may believe that 3 megapixel and H.265 are "unsupported" when the exact opposite should be true.

Paige would be better off just putting a calculator on their site like NVT used to do.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #14
Jun 28, 2018

I'm sure keyword marketing is involved, to try and reach the technical and not so technically in the know.

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #2
Mar 29, 2018

I wouldn't be interested even though it might work and be a gamechanger and all that. As an IT department employee, we wouldn't use this as it doesn't meet our specifications. We are a conservative bunch and very careful in the equipment we deploy. If a cable run is more than 333", we add a new switch and make a new IDF. That approach costs us more, but we like to go with what is proven and will likely keep working for years.

(3)
(2)
UE
Undisclosed End User #2
Mar 29, 2018

Doesn't appear to meet ISO/IEC and EIA/TIA specs

UI
Apr 03, 2018

Doesn't appear to meet ISO/IEC and EIA/TIA specs

It is being used for distances greater than 328'/100 meters for the channel so I think that meeting either of those standards is beyond the realm of possibility.

U
Undisclosed #3
Mar 29, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Its 10Mbps:

(8)
Brian Karas
Mar 29, 2018
Pelican Zero

And it's not H.265 compatible?

:)

(10)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Apr 03, 2018

I have a spool that I plan on testing with H.265, dual streaming, etc.  I plan on forcing my switches to 10Mpbs full duplex as per their recommendation. I think the 2Mp is a recommendation based on the throughput limitation at that distance.

Scott Napier
Apr 02, 2018

This seems gimmicky to me, I would not waste the time to test and validate it given the limited use case.  Also what happens in a few years when the cable starts to degrade?  No thanks!

U
Undisclosed #4
Apr 03, 2018

Maybe.  In my view it is risky to use network infrastructure that is not standards-based.  Is there a TIA standard that applies to this cable?

(1)
YT
Yves Tremblay
Apr 03, 2018
Ecmor Sécurité Inc • IPVMU Certified

My guess is that any premium Cat6 cable would meet these distance at 10 Mbps...

(6)
(1)
UI
Apr 03, 2018

My guess is that any premium Cat6 cable would meet these distance at 10 Mbps...

Possibly true.  The reason it is novel is that they are actively marketing it for this purpose.  This implies they have done some level of testing.  Alternately, they could be snake oil salesmen selling overpriced Cat6.  We'll know for sure if they launch gold plated RJ-45 connectors.

(1)
Scott Napier
Apr 03, 2018

If someone sent me this as a submittal I would reject it without hesitation. 

(2)
(1)
UI
Apr 03, 2018

If someone sent me this as a submittal I would reject it without hesitation.

Image result for case closed

(6)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Apr 05, 2018

This is a cool concept but more of a marketing trick than a real product. Until they can get the speed up and better/more detailed specs they cannot have any major success with the systems integrators. Some smaller and less technology savvy dealers might bite but probably will stop using them soon after due to the inconsistent performance of the cable. 

On a related note, has anybody looked into longer distance runs with CAT7? 

(2)
UE
Undisclosed End User #7
Apr 05, 2018

I question if this product even works, almost sounds like a scam to get attention.

(1)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #8
Apr 05, 2018

Marketing smoke & mirrors at work here.  Remember, Paige is not a manufacture, they're a distributor.  This is nothing more that a beefy Cat6 or maybe 6A that anyone could accomplish the exact same results.

As stated earlier, 1080p doesn't mean much.  And at 10Mbps, you're really not getting much for taking this risk to install a non-standard product.

I wouldn't buy it.

(4)
(2)
(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #9
Apr 05, 2018

I have a feeling that this would fail almost any certification on our Fluke DSX-8000 (when used at an out-of-spec length).  Furthermore, I can personally relate to the fact that different switches behave differently when you start throwing something that's not within IEEE specs at them.  The actual device (camera) could have issues too.  I've seen it too many times (and it can be something as simple as one pair of wires being 1/2 inch longer than all the rest, on a run that's within the IEEE length specs).

I've had to work with a lot of cheap ethernet cable.  It can be quite inconsistent.  The main cost is the labor of installing that cable.  I always order/install good quality cable.  In reality, it really doesn't cost that much more.  And again, an out-of-spec installation (long cable length) could cause issues.....maybe not even immediately, but in the future.

(2)
(3)
UI
Apr 06, 2018

I have a feeling that this would fail almost any certification on our Fluke DSX-8000

If you have the NVP value set properly there is no way any long run of Cat5/5e/6/6a/7/7a would ever pass.  It fails if over-length.

I always order/install good quality cable. In reality, it really doesn't cost that much more.

This cable is $500 for 1000'.  Cost does not equal quality or endorse the performance, particularly in this case, but they certainly believe they can charge a premium for it.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #16
Jan 06, 2020

Passes certification on Fluke with runs in excess of 500ft no problem.

(2)
DR
Dennis Ruban
Apr 05, 2018

it would be interesting to test the 500m segments of this cable and some other brand like belden, panduit with Fluke DTX and compare.

I believe, using 10 mbps port settings (maybe even half-duplex?) you can achive the same or similar results with any other cat6 category cable.

I did some research with hikvision bandwith consumption. 10 mbps is enough for up to 8MP with medium quantization using H.264 or better codecs. I got traffic statistics using SNMP from the switch port, tested these cameras: DS-2CD2035FWD-I (3MP), DS-2CD2055FWD-I (6MP), DS-2DF8836I5V-AELW (8MP).

The only case where 10 mbps is not enough is when you choose the highest quality. But in that situation you have dropped frames on any uplink, just because hik limits the camera bandwidth to 16 mbps and that's not enough.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #10
Apr 05, 2018

"Nonstandard" is NONstandard. If it does not meet the established standard in all respects, you cannot rely on it to be 100% compatible with current or future equipment that is designed to comply to the spec.

Might work just dandy in some applications, and then fail utterly when a camera or switch upgrade takes place months/years later and the installer is left re-pulling cable, or adding range extenders, out of their own pocket.

(1)
U
Undisclosed
Apr 05, 2018

No no no.  Not nonstandard cable.  Guaranteed to cause bizarre headaches during the life of the deployment.  Also, whomever pitches this is showing a total disregard for standards, which is bad from a style perspective.  We're now mostly recovered from the Cisco vs. Microsemi vs. everybody else POE nightmare.  We're not completely recovered from the POE+ (or is it POE++) interoperability nightmare.  No need for a new adventure.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #11
Apr 05, 2018

I wouldn't use this cable simply because of the overused annoying buzzword of a name.

(3)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #12
Apr 05, 2018

It's as bad as companies looking for "Ninjas", "Rockstars", or descriptions of things that the jobs are most definitely not.

(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #11
Apr 05, 2018

I bet I could write their marketing pitch.

"The GAMECHANGER cable is a game changer. This next-generation, AI-infused, deep learning, omnichannel smart cable will deliver hyperlocal micro-moments to your customer journey by growing their business organically."

(2)
(2)
Ethan Ace
Apr 05, 2018

Funny enough, despite the many comments vehemently opposed, poll results are close to evenly split (47% yes/53% no). They've actually gotten closer this morning as more negative comments have come in.

UE
Undisclosed End User #9
Apr 05, 2018

I'm an end-user (with an IT background), not an integrator, but I can certainly understand that integrators are going up against each other all the time.  Some customers will seriously look at (or be required to take) the lowest bid, without regard for what shortcomings there might be.  I can also understand where some people with CCTV experience might not have an understanding of how Ethernet & IP works (the same can be said for sound experts, electricians, telecom professionals, etc).  Many are now being put in a position where there's Ethernet cable somewhere in the job in lieu of what was traditionally being used.  Some are very knowledgeable in the specs and best practices.  On the other end of the spectrum, I've heard "well, we never have a problem with it and do it all the time".

In the case study linked above, there are unanswered questions, such as:

1.  Are they using any supported PoE extenders?  (The "proper" way to extend that signal)

2.  Would Axis actually SUPPORT an end-to-end 850' run if they ran into issues?

3.  To what extent will this cable manufacturer support what is truly a claim that it works outside of IEEE standards?  Will they come in and fix things when it doesn't work?  (I somehow HIGHLY doubt it)

I find the case study confusing & misleading.  I also see a lot of possibilities for finger-pointing when something doesn't work.  For example, if you have a switch issue and call the switch manufacturer for support, I'm pretty sure they're going to tell you to get it setup in a standards-compliant configuration before they'll even consider helping you.

As for the cable itself, I don't see how it's much different than anything tested here: https://ipvm.com/reports/test-long-ethernet (looks to be similar results)

As such, with a 47/53 split vote, I'm jumping to the conclusion some of the voters may not fully understand what issues can arise by going outside of Ethernet standards.  I say this because I've seen it myself on multiple occasions. 

Again, I completely understand that integrators deal with customer budgets, competitive bids, etc.  That being said, however, hopefully these discussions help some of the members here to recognize and identify configurations with non-standard Ethernet links, and inform customer/end-user that a certain configurations "on the cheap" might not be the best idea for a reliable system.

(1)
Greg Levorchick
Apr 05, 2018

I have to say that on several occasions we have installed PoE cameras using WindyCityWire Cat5e at distances, 700-800-ft, which clearly exceed the 802.3x standard.  A couple of these were out of necessity(short-term, last minute temporary install for eventas) but we have at least four(4) locations that have been in-place and operational for years at this point.  I can't say what the Mbps rate is but the quality and streaming rate is comparable to other cameras on-site at shorter distances.  All of these were done using Mobotix cameras, so it could be that the low power requirements of the cameras(4-6 watts) were a factor in the successful operation.  The out-of-standard use of the long distance cable is not something that we would ever plan into a project intentionally but in a number of instances it has worked for us.

(3)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #13
Apr 17, 2018

http://www.paigedatacom.com/files/GameChanger%20White%20Paper.pdf

(1)
UM
Jun 28, 2018

They readily gave us a free box to test. We ran a Sony POE PTZ for a week on patrol and no dropped pings at over 800ft. The recordings look good but we did have to statically set the port 10mbs. Next we'll test a gigabit connection at 200 meters.

They just sent this UL testing certification.

http://www.paigedatacom.com/products/intelligent-building/video-sound-security/gamechanger#faq

For those asking about cable specs, they have them here...

http://www.paigedatacom.com/files/GameChagnger%20All%20Specs.pdf

I think this has value for those edge devices, like one camera or door controller, that go beyond 100m and you're struggling with the idea of either fiber, daisy-chaining a switch or using some sort of inline repeater.

Maybe people have done this with other cables, but Paige seemed willing to backup their claims and at least commit to saying it would work where a regular cable manufacturer just tells you not to go out of spec.

Maybe IPVM should do a test.

(4)
(2)
UM
Jan 07, 2019

We successfully tested a gigabit connection at 600ft (they claim full spec Ethernet and POE at 200 meters), though we did not do a long term test. But we did deploy several links at a location that were around 400ft and 500ft that were uplinks between switches, and no reported problems in the 4 months since.

(5)
Jake Voll
Jan 06, 2020
SS&Si Dealer Network

UL did confirm their claims, but I'd love to see an IPVM test done on this cable.

I love a good sales pitch and the pitch for GameChanger writes itself. Though I must admit, I've caught myself stumbling on, "GameChanger is a ... umm... well... it's a GAMECHANGER!"

Of course, I never shy away from a good, "But wait, there's more!!"

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #15
Feb 21, 2019

This is now coming up in my area and one of Paige's QC guys wants this used on his storage unit project.  We informed the owner that if he wants to provide we can attempt this (longest run is 620' end-to-end) but if problems occur we can not troubleshoot and would encourage Nodes be installed at each unit.  This would be a Hanwha Project and most likely would use Ubiquiti Edge Switches.  My Vendor laughed and choked on his coffee when I informed him of the inquiry direct from owner.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions