Subscriber Discussion

GA Power: Ten Cameras Installed And Maintained For 3 Years - $70,760

U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 18, 2018

For info on the GA Power surveillance solution, see IPVMs $8 Billion Utility Georgia Power Enters Surveillance Business Offering Avigilon And Genetec

============================================================================

The Pine Hills Neighborhood Association in Buckhead, GA (a NE Atlanta suburb) is recruiting their member homeowners to help pay for a $700K+, 3 yr contract with GA Power to install and maintain just ten (10) cameras in their neighborhood.

Broken down, that is $23,592 per camera, per yearThis figure comes directly from the community associations slide presentation at an open meeting regarding proposed security improvements back in December 2017 (next to last slide).

$23,592 x 3(yrs) = $70,776

x 10(cams) = $707,760

Further, note that the PHNA says that they just need 300 of it's 800 members to pledge $300/yr to pay for this program...

"In order to offer all elements of our security program, we need to increase our membership.  Our target is 300 households (with 800+ households in Pine Hills)."

but the numbers don't add up.  300 homeowners x $300 x 3(yrs) is only $270K - nowhere near the $700K+ cost over the life of the program.

1.  What do you think of the costs involved for the GA Power surveillance program?

2.  Do you think the PHNA will be successful in raising the entire amount needed from it's homeowners?

(2)
Brian Rhodes
Feb 18, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Buckhead is a super-rich place full of mansions and exotic sportscars, so I would not doubt they'll raise the amount per question #2.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Feb 18, 2018

Hmm, that is a good point.  They may just be charging what the market in that area will bear.  If so, kudos to them for the successful gouging.

Without knowing what they are putting in, how they are putting them in, and what is included with the deal it is difficult to gauge what the costs are.  Let’s say they’re trenching to new locations that don’t have poles, planting new utility poles, camouflaging them for the wealthy folks aesthetics, and so on.  In that scenario costs could be more significant than what we see on the surface.  Utility technicians are not cheap.

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Feb 18, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Here are the proposed locations for the 10 cameras (noted as blue 'PHNA' arrows):

The surprising part is that many locations are adjacent/shared by Atlanta PD LPR cams.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 18, 2018

That is pretty interesting...  other than the 3 lone blue arrows to the right on E Roxboro Rd, it appears as if GA Power wants to charge the community residents for adding LPR cameras to locations that already have them in use by the APD.

(1)
SE
Sam Eskew
Feb 21, 2018

These are my old stomping grounds. There are a wide range of home values in the area and I doubt there is an over arching HOA, which speaks to the 300 of 800 number. the math is unclear, but if GPC can sell this set up to those 300 subscribers, hat's off to them. We have been enlisted as a partner with them and quoted a couple of installations. I have no idea what the final proposals to the end users are, but neither has been bought so far.  

JH
Jay Hobdy
Feb 18, 2018
IPVMU Certified

From my understanding GA Power only installs cameras on poles they already own/maintain.

I think the fee is an ongoing fee as well, that is why they require a 3 year contract.

We had a community look into it, and they wanted 70K. We did it for a fraction of the cost. We also put cameras in places GA Power wouldn't.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 18, 2018

thanks Jay,

My thinking is that 'real' surveillance solutions provides are already operating lean and mean due to the Chinese manufacturer race to the bottom in commoditized hardware pricing.

So, even though it has sucked ass for most professional security integration companies to see their margins shrinking on the hardware side, those that have thrived by continuing to provide valuable services to their customers are well-positioned to fight off the Telcos/Utilities companies when they try and flex their muscle in our world.

Even though the Telcos/Utilities have the advantage of possession in the residential market (i.e. they already have a giant footprint of residential customers) - they can't match the value that professional integration companies bring to the table when it comes to real security solutions.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Apr 03, 2018

The option is NOT $700k over the life of the program, the $70,776 is for all 10 cameras...

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 03, 2018

Thanks for the tip Columbo....

Did you detect what was printed at the very bottom of the article referenced in the OP?

"Correction: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that one of the North Buckhead Civic Association’s cameras would be on Old Ivy Road. The camera would instead be on Ivy Road. It is also incorrectly stated that the Pine Hills Civic Association’s program would cost $700,000 for three years. It would instead cost $70,000."

They corrected their own story - so my OP no longer applies, as this cost is much more reasonable than what they first reported.

As you were...

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Apr 04, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

I know from my HOA that they generally have many different funds to pull from when considering such projects. We recently had our roofs replaced (I live in a condo) and each homeowner had to pitch into the roof fund. We could do a lump sum or a 3 year monthly addition to the standard HOA fee. 

Point being, half of the roof assessed cost was paid out of our general HOA dues and the other half was an assessment.

That could be the case here as well. They may already have a portion of the costs associated with the project earmarked in the general fund. The remaining balance would only require 300 homeowners to commit to the $300/3yr assessment. 

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 23, 2018

GA Power is now an ALPR provider:

Brookhaven, GA pays $20K/mo to lease ALPR data from GA Power-owned and maintained cameras/poles.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions