Forgot Recorder Password, How To Recover?

JH
John Honovich
Aug 09, 2017
IPVM

I'd like to start a directory of VMS / NVR / DVR steps to recover the admin password if it is lost or forgotten.

This is in response to the Hikvision security code crack and subsequent discussion about what other manufacturers do.

Inside, we'll be putting this directory together. Manufacturers, feel free to post your own technique (or lack thereof). We will reach out to companies to request responses, etc.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 09, 2017

Windows Workstations/Servers:

On Windows machines running Windows 7, Server 2008 (possibly works on 2012), or earlier there is always Hirens BootCD to wipe and replace the password.  Free, quick and easy.

I have used this more times to take over a site from non-cooperative integrators that we have displaced.  Doesn't help with the VMS, obviously.

(2)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 09, 2017

Pretty impressive how many tools they crammed into that BootCD. Thanks for the link UI1. 

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #3
Aug 10, 2017

Being very nitpicky, the Hiren BootCD is a collection of boot tools, and the offline registry editor is one of many.
Hirens is pretty outdated now, I use Medicat DVDHeres a collection of other alternatives.

Jon Dillabaugh
Aug 14, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

I, generally, use the MH MRI boot disc. It is a cracked version of the Geek Squad disc that is used by BB/GS agents.

UD
Aug 10, 2017

JH
John Honovich
Aug 10, 2017
IPVM

#3, thanks for sharing. Most of them, though, are for cameras and not for recorders.

The one for Hanwha is interesting, though, because it includes their recorders and it cryptic:

@BRK, please check with Hanwha.

UD
Aug 10, 2017

Ah, missed the recorder part somehow.

The procedure for older Samsung Techwin NVRs and DVRs are a sequence of physical buttons on either the remote or front cover. The combinations differ for each series. Most details are pretty exposed online.. 

Brian Karas
Aug 10, 2017
IPVM

According to Genetec:

Security Centre does not have a password recovery mechanism at all.  For our Streamvault (SV) appliances there is similarly no way to recover your password, and the user is forced to change the default password that the appliance is shipped with.

Brian Karas
Aug 10, 2017
IPVM

Milestone's response:

There is no way to recover your administrator password if you have forgotten it, you would need to re-image/re-install.  Milestone does not maintain any access or reset codes for XProtect or Husky.

U
Undisclosed #4
Aug 11, 2017

Avigilon:

Gain access to Windows through one of the methods above. 

Delete user folder in AvigilonConfig\Db\DirectoryShared\Users

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions