Subscriber Discussion

For Light Pole Mounted Camera, Can Camera Cable Run Through Light Pole With Light Power?

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 09, 2017

I need to install some light pole cameras in a parking lot.  Power to the light poles is switched (of course).  I was thinking about installing a pedestal enclosure near the light poles that would have always-on power and fiber transceivers with PoE power for the cameras.  Here's a sketch of the concept:

The thing I'm not sure of is that this configuration means that I would be running Cat6 from the pedestal enclosure to the camera on the pole and that cable would have to run up inside the pole with the power for the lights.  I know code does not allow that inside a building without a divider between the low and high voltage, but what is the rule for outdoor light poles?  If it can be done, would the high voltage for the lights cause interference problems for the camera cable?

Anyone have any advice or words of wisdom?

Brian Rhodes
Mar 09, 2017
IPVMU Certified

In general, run the data inside rigid if it is in the same interior cavity as high voltage cable.  

Even the most hardcase AHJs and code inspectors seem to be okay with that approach.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 09, 2017

How difficult would it be to get RMC up a 4" diameter light pole?  Do you think an AHJ would be OK with EMT?  I think EMT would still be tough to get up the inside of a 20' high light pole, but not as hard a RMC.

As another option (I don't know if anyone here would know this but...) do any parking lot light poles have options for a low-voltage channel?  (This is a new construction, so the light poles are not purchased yet.)

jo
jason oneal
Mar 10, 2017

Look at these www.strongpoles.com

Brian Rhodes
Mar 15, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We have a post on Strong Poles.

jo
jason oneal
Mar 15, 2017

How do you run conduit up inside an existing pole already on concrete base? I ask because I have the same scenario before me and would like to do it correctly.

Brian Rhodes
Mar 15, 2017
IPVMU Certified

If you can't lay the pole over, rigid is not likely an option.  Flexible non-metallic liquid tight conduit may be an option if the AHJ approves.  You can run that through a standard single gang cutout if needed.

(1)
Michael Silva
Mar 10, 2017
Silva Consultants

We have specified liquid tight flexible conduit for this type of application in light poles many times. The drawing below provides details of how we suggest that this type of installation be accomplished. Like anything else code-related, it is always prudent to review your proposed plans with the AHJ before proceeding.

(8)
David Barnhart
Mar 14, 2017

Use shielded Cat6 in pole the and use shielded RJ45 terminations.  We do these for large parking lot management customers at major sports venues.  Only time we've ever had an issue with electrical interference with the video was when we did a HD-TVI cam in a pole.  That was caused by a poor grounding done by the electrician many years prior.  We corrected that issue by correcting the ground.  

(2)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 14, 2017

Was the Cat6 inside any conduit or channel inside the pole?  If not, the AHJ was OK with that?

DH
David Harrison
Mar 14, 2017

Technically to be with in code, if you want the cable inside of the pole next to the high voltage then you need cable that is rated for high voltage (600V rating) but as well as something to handle outdoor environments. See the below link. To be within code the only other option is to use liquid tight or rigid on the exterior of the pole utilizing metal bands to affix it to the pole. Meaning there are no screw holes or penetrations into the pole that weaken the integrity of the pole. I have had an electrical inspector in a new construction situation demand a letter from the pole manufacturer that my 3/4'' hole at the top of the pole did not void the poles integrity. 

http://www.discount-low-voltage.com/Cable/Cat5E-UTP-Ethernet-Low-Voltage-Cable/QU-5089

Hope this helps, 

(3)
(3)
Mark Bennett
Mar 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I have to agree with the approaches listed above for the cable in the light pole.  I've used both.  I will add that we have been using a DDB Unlimited Model OD-30DXC enclosure that is mounted on a concrete pad on the ground.  This enclosure has vent fans in a false ceiling and has lockable doors on both sides and is designed with 19" wide rails for rack mounting components.  We have the conduits from the poles, the head-end and the 120VAC power stubbed up and then build a pad form around the conduits.  I always have a 10' ground rod installed so that it is inside the enclosure.  This will ensure your surge suppressors are properly grounded.  Note of caution, make sure the pad is at least 12 inches above grade or higher if needed to prevent water from puddling inside the enclosure.  I also make sure they don't point a sprinkler head at the enclosure.  This makes an nicer looking installation than the NEMA box if you are trying to keep the owner and architects happy.  Good luck

https://www.ddbunlimited.com/od-series-od/outdoor-enclosure-cabinet-od-30dxc-30h-x-25d.html

(3)
Richard Lavin
Mar 15, 2017
Salas O'Brien • IPVMU Certified

Mark,

Since you mention surge suppression, what is your preferred surge suppressor?

Bobby Krecker
May 04, 2017

Have you thought about a wireless solution?  I was tasked a few years back to develop a video surveillance solution for a parking lot, but we were prohibited from trenching.

Long story short - Mount an approved NEMA enclosure at the base of the pole. Use a step-down transformer to provide 120VAC. Use an outdoor rated power supply and batteries to provide 24VDC  to all your devices, network switch included.  Size your batteries to support the equipment for 2 - 4 days incase of a prolonged power failure.

When the parking lights are on, the power supply will charge the batteries and when the lights are off, the camera, switch, wireless transmitter will work off the batteries as the batteries will provide uninterrupted 24VDC to all your devices.

There are provision for alarming the cabinet, but I want to keep this post short. Feel free to contact me for great detail.

This concept worked very well for me and is still functional almost 4 years later with no video loss.

Best of luck with your project.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions