Subscriber Discussion

Access Control Locks For Double Doors Without Mullion?

DM
David Matyas
Aug 11, 2016

For double doors where there is no pole in the middle, what access control locking options are there? The two I know about are maglocks and a electrified panic bar. I dont want to go with a maglock due to regulations (must pop open when power failure, etc...) and I have heard too may bad things about the electrified panic bar.

Thank you

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Aug 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

The 'pole in the middle' is part of the frame called a 'mullion'.

How do the doors currently latch? Most likely via vertical latch retraction rods, like this:

This may be what you mean by 'electrified panic bar', but using electrified latch retraction is the most common approach for this by far.

You may be able to modify the upper frame to accept an electric strike, but I've never seen much success. Rods are a problem, but rigging up strikes are too.

(1)
AW
Amos Wipf
Aug 15, 2016

Latch retraction is most likely the way to go.

I have had good success installing the Folger Adams strikes for double doors in hollow aluminum frames. Made one heck of a mess trying to install one in a wooden frame though, don't try installing these strikes if the door frame isn't hollow. I have never tried to install in a metal frame but it should be possible, just a lot harder to do.

(1)
Ethan Ace
Aug 11, 2016

I could be wrong (Brian let me know) but it seems most times electric latch retraction has issues is when installers try to retrofit. In past jobs we tried to use retrofit kits from both the bar manufacturer and third parties, and both were troublesome. But buying the full electrified bar seemed to have better results.

I'll agree here, though, that mortise-less door sets are a pain no matter which route you take.

Campbell Chang
Aug 12, 2016

Try Assa ES-8000 V-Locks if the doors are self closing.

DM
David Matyas
Aug 12, 2016

That looks interesting. But wouldnt that only work, if one of the doors is locked in place?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 12, 2016

Wouldn't this have the same compliance issues as the maglock that the OP stated in his first comment?

Campbell Chang
Aug 12, 2016

No because the locks are set into the ceiling or floor.

Brian Rhodes
Aug 12, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Those V-Locks are interesting, never seen them before.

Be cautious when considering locks mounted on top frames or threshold/floor.

For interior openings, the top frame/header is typically not secured very well, if at all, into the header and cripple studs. Unlike a 'pull' maglock that uses the strength of the frame profile to great mechanical advantage, other mechanical locks (bolts/strikes) mounted inside them in a cutout may 'float' too much and allow the door to be kicked open.

Also, floor mounted devices get filthy. Dirt, grime, ice, snow, floorwax, etc all can contribute to a floor mounted device not working well after a short period of time.

MW
Michael Wright
Aug 12, 2016

One thing you didn't mention is whether the door is a fire rated assembly. You should know before doing any modifications to the door. Also helpful would be to know if both leaves are "active". If one leaf is fixed and used manual or auto flush bolts, a mortise lock could be used on the active leaf.

For instances where I'm in need of help like this, I always reach out to the technical team at Assa Abloy or Allegion. Their job is to help resolve these issues...and they help for free...a great resource to be sure. Good luck.

BH
Brian Havekost
Aug 15, 2016

I prefer good electrified latch retraction. But we look for cost effective alternatives.

Often we find that only one door needs to open from the outside. In these cases we are often able to install a strike with an electrified hinge or door cord in the 'fixed' door.

Sometimes the fixed door is pinned shut with manual flush bolts (butterflies) in which case there should be no exit device on this door on the inside so the person exiting will naturally use the door with the exit device, the moveable leaf of this double door. Please check life safety code and the AHJ to make sure you are allowed to do this in your application.

Sometimes the fixed door has vertical rods operated by an exit device. In this case you need to make sure that the appropriate door coordinator is installed to ensure that the door with the strike closes first and the door that latches to the strike closes second.

Joe Harris
Aug 15, 2016
Star Asset Security, LLC

We have used the SDC LR100 Quiet Duo for double doors and vertical rods with good success. Just make sure the doors and the rods are lined up and in good working order. Sometimes you only need to use one for the active, entry leaf and keep the second door purely mechanical. Depends on the needs of the end user.

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 15, 2016

I've kept quiet on this up to now, but I have to jump in now.

1.) That ES8000 lock appears to be nothing more than what effectively amounts to a drop bolt. It will effectively function as a maglock, because it doesn't appear to have any mechanical override (I can't find an actual cutsheet to verify). That means it's effectively as useless as a maglock or a drop bolt, both of which have code issues and generally are a pain in the rear for someone who actually wants a secure facility.

2.) Vertical rods are the devils creation. If the door doesn't have a mullion, INSTALL ONE. Any supposed savings you think you might be getting will be eaten up over the life of the devices, especially if it's a frequently-used door. If it's a door where deliveries frequently come in, install a keyed removable mullion so you can remove the mullion for deliveries and reinstall it afterwards.

3.) If you MUST use vertical rods, do yourself a favor and use ELECTRIC latch retraction (not motorized) from a reputable manufacturer (i.e. not Hager, Falcon, SDC, Yale, Arrow, Detex Cal Royal, Corbin Russwin, or any other garbage manufacturer) and ensure they are installed correctly. For all but very specific applications, i would specify less-bottom rod so that only the top rods are installed and the bottom rods don't get damaged, the strike filled with gunk, or any number of a thousand other issues you're pretty much guaranteed to have. If you have a high-security application and you absolutely must go with top and bottom rods, do yourself a favor and train someone in maintenance on how to clean the strike plates and recognize issues with the bottom rods.

4.) Do not, under any circumstances, regardless of what the architect tells you, install concealed vertical rods. I don't care if you think it looks bad, I don't care if it doesn't match the aesthetic, unless the architect is personally footing the bill for the maintenance on them, the answer is no.

(2)
(4)
Josh Leverett
Apr 28, 2021

I'm curious on your point #2, after you install the mullion do you recommend electrified panic hardware, motorized panic hardware, or a surface mount strike on the mullion?

U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 28, 2021

These days I would typically recommend motorized panic hardware (i.e. Von Duprin QEL or Precision MLR), but if it's an EXTREMELY high-traffic door and the noise from an electrified panic would not be disruptive, I'd go the electrified route (i.e. Von Duprin EL or Precision ELR), simply because I've seen a higher incidence of failures with the MLR devices as I have with the ELR devices. The failure rate is still extremely low with either of them, but I just have more confidence in the EL/ELR versions...whether that's 100% justified or not.

I personally try to steer clear of electric strikes 100% of the time, but if it's a retrofit scenario or the client is extremely budget-challenged, using a HES 9600 or similar would not be the end of the world...just not my preference.

Josh Leverett
Apr 28, 2021

Why don't you like electric strikes? Is that only for doors with panic hardware or all doors?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions