Subscriber Discussion

For A Commercial Environment, How Much Is Your Spitball Per Camera Number?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 12, 2017

For a commercial environment, how much is your spitball per point number that you use for basic cameras?

To start if off, I usually say if a typical environment, I say assume about $500 per camera for new construction and $750 per camera for old construction.

JH
John Honovich
Jun 12, 2017
IPVM

From our 2014 Average IP Camera Price 2014:

and

Your numbers are on the lower end but that could reflect using lower cost cameras, etc.

UI
Jun 12, 2017

Was that $615 per camera just the camera or including installation?

Thank you

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jun 12, 2017

Just the camera.

JH
John Honovich
Jun 12, 2017
IPVM

$615 is for the camera and is the price the integrator sold it at to the customer.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jun 12, 2017

I believe the OP is talking about install price which would be on the very low end for commercial.

The 2014 survey would indicate the average installed price was $1245 per cam.

That was 3 years ago and I would wager the average install price per camera is probably right around 1k per camera which would be a good spitball number. Through the 2000's our spitball was $1200-1500 per camera which in the last few years became 1000-1500 a camera. I would guess the low end for most shops in a very competitive situation is probably closer to $700. ($100 cam marked up 100 dollars to $200 plus $500 in labor and wire. Obviously there are smaller shops that would dip below this and do a system at a couple hundred per camera.

(2)
UI
Jun 13, 2017

What time of camera would be at the $1k per camera? Would that be a camera that cost the integrator $500 or a camera that cost $150?

Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 13, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

It is so hard to give a price off the cuff like that, so I think doing so is a disservice to you and your client. If your projects are cookie cutter, using kits and every location is drop ceiling, then maybe you can do this. But, most of our projects are way too complex to just toss out a figure. We spend considerable time going over every facet of an install to make sure we cover everything, and STILL miss things on occasion.

(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jun 13, 2017

The class of system dictates the "spitball" price.  Some commercial environments have a need for an enterprise system, others are fine with the basics. The cameras by themselves don't really cover the price of a system though since the head end/VMS are a key component.  You could be anywhere between $600 and $1800 averaged out per camera.  

(1)
UI
Jun 13, 2017

This is exactly what I was looking for. In my example I was using a basic hikvision system

U
Undisclosed #4
Jun 13, 2017

$500 - $5,000 per camera -- includes licensing, camera, mounts, cabling, installing, aiming/focusing, programming, and final signoff.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Jun 13, 2017

We use 1000 for indoors and 2000 for outdoors installed. Outdoors to us usually means radios.

This includes everything and is based off using Dahua.

We use this as a gauge to see if the project is in a prospects budget. We always disclaim that is a rough guess and actual cost will require a thorough site survey.

We are starting to save a lot of time by doing this.

(1)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions