JH
John Honovich
Apr 19, 2017
IPVM

Don't like ASIS?

But do you like football?

And do you like cheerleaders?

If so, ASIS has an offer for you:

ASIS got crafty here too, putting it after the second day of exhibits as a lure to keep people at the show. Also, note you need to pay $125 for the Reception or get the full access pass which costs ~$1,000.

Personally, I would have gone with greater substance - improved education, training, etc. And cheerleaders at a security event, but we debated this theme last week....

So vote / comment inside:

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 19, 2017
IPVMU Certified

And cheerleaders at a security event, but we debated this theme last week....

Maybe the theme, but this, IMHO, is much worse.

At ISC you had vendors using scantily clad, young attractive women to meet with male customers in the hopes of interesting them in their product.

Here you have the show organizers itself taking your money and paying scantily clad women to meet with you, whether you are interested or not!

How can they enforce a clause that they themselves appear to flaunt:

Sure, you don't have to go, but like DJ Mustard, you paid for it anyway.

(2)
(2)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 19, 2017
IPVM

I suspect people generally will be more open to this since its the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.

That said, like the ISC West 'models', I think what ASIS is doing here is inappropriate.

With regards to the 'dress of models' requirement, I will ask ASIS if they have any comment how that relates to the Cowboy cheerleaders.

(1)
(3)
U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 19, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I suspect people generally will be more open to this since its the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.

For sure. And ISC never said you get to actually meet Dj Mustard.

Though if ASIS feels that their dress requirements does allow Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader style uniforms,, its a pretty low bar.

(1)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Apr 20, 2017

I totally disagree... This venue is for the home of the Dallas Cowboys!  The cheerleaders are part of the Dallas Cowboys unlike the "booth babes" that are strictly a one-time, booth enticement for men.  If ASIS suddenly hired "booth babes" for the President's reception then yeah, I'd be having a fit.  It isn't. The cheerleaders are part of the Dallas Cowboys package as is the stadium.

I do agree that the cheerleaders, any cheerleaders, should have different uniforms that are more for public gatherings.  As we saw at the SF game, some people can't help (control) themselves but to create unwarranted fantasies about the cheerleaders, during a game (and while he was at work no-less in front of thousands).   

(1)
(1)
DL
David Lieberman
Jul 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I'm no fan of cheap tactics to attract the attention of male attendees on any level, and am not planning to attend the event, but I think we need to acknowledge the difference between inappropriate "attire" and a professional costume, which, in this case, is no more revealing than the typical costume of a female ice skater in the Olympics.

My across-the-street neighbor is a LA Lakers cheerleader who worked hard for her current role. I've known her 14 years (since age 12), when she was in dance and cheer after school, dance and varsity cheer in HS, and kept going throughout college, and years of competition after competition after competition. These are no fly-by-night models picking up a little extra cash.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 25, 2017
IPVMU Certified

in this case, is no more revealing than the typical costume of a female ice skater in the Olympics.

DL
David Lieberman
Jul 25, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Ok, maybe a little more revealing :-)

My point, though, was that they are wearing professional costumes, not just provocative attire, and the cheerleaders are professionals; not simply trying to pick up a little extra cash.

U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 19, 2017

You meet the cheerleaders when you tour the place where they actually work... they aren't in booths at the security show.

(5)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 19, 2017
IPVM

For sure, technically that is the case and so ASIS can say the Cheerleaders are not at the booth and those guidelines do not apply. But the 'spirit' of that guideline is still in question here. So exhibitors cannot have models dressed like the Dallas cheerleaders but the ASIS President can host a reception with them?

(4)
UI
Apr 20, 2017

John, if the location was at some hotel and the reception had the cheerleaders, then I would agree with you.  However, since it is at the stadium where the cheerleaders work, then it's much like seeing Donald Duck at Disneyland. IMHO

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 22, 2017
IPVMU Certified

However, since it is at the stadium where the cheerleaders work, then it's much like seeing Donald Duck at Disneyland. IMHO.

Maybe you want to rethink your philosophy of 'offensive things are not offensive if viewed in their natural element.", as the non-Disneyland counter-examples might be hard to agree with.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 19, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Rumor is that veteran ASIS attendee and Pro-member and posting league leader who is 'hardly ever here', J. Dillabaugh may take the field in a show of solidarity.

(5)
Jon Dillabaugh
Apr 20, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Stalker? I wish you went disclosed so I could issue a restraining order with bite. Somehow, the one I had issued against "Unsisclosed #1" was deemed unenforceable.

(3)
U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Somehow, the one I had issued against "Unsisclosed #1" was deemed unenforceable.

You're protected from my sister ;)

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Apr 20, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Wow, this is my karma payback for all of the correcting I've done myself. Keeps me humble.

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Apr 20, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Let me preface this with the fact that I am a hetero, football loving, red blooded American male who does not root for the Cowboys.

I would eat this up. Not for the fact that the cheerleaders are involved, but that isn't exactly a deterrent either. What I would love is to do the on-field stuff. The only pro stadium I have been on-field for is the old Silverdome. I played a HS game there. It wasn't a pleasant experience, to be honest. The old astroturf was like covering concrete with razorblades. We were bloody after 5 mins of warm ups on that trash.

And I agree to the greater point of security industry enrichment, but you have to bring them in SOMEHOW? Aren't they dying to get the turnout that ISCW gets?

(5)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 20, 2017
IPVM

JD, you going to run the 40? 

Btw, I do agree that going to the stadium is going to be attractive, for the reasons you state. However, I think it would be just as attractive to most and more accomodating to all, without the cheerleaders.

(2)
(1)
(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Apr 20, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

I would run the 40 with the hopes of beating Eisen's time in a suit.

(5)
Michael Budalich
Apr 20, 2017
Genetec

In for IPVM 40 yard contest. Best time gets a free year membership?

(2)
(4)
Brian Rhodes
Apr 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I think we'd be better off racing giraffes or Shaq.

(1)
(1)
Dave Arnould
May 10, 2017

I'm down!

Michael Budalich
Apr 20, 2017
Genetec

I voted I don't like it. However, this is purely out of bias as I despise the Cowboys and I'm a life long New York Giants fan.

(1)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Poor plumbers have to pay $50 a head, for similar deal without  cheerleaders and field drills.

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

tour the locker room, meet the cheerleaders, ... and revelry

In that order?

(1)
(1)
(1)
Ross Vander Klok
Apr 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Have you been to the President's Reception at ASIS?  I think about 75% of the people there go just to drink.  When I was younger this was the highlight of the week, but as I get/got older it kind of lost its luster when a bunch of drunks spilled their drinks all over us.

(1)
(1)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Apr 20, 2017

Life long skins fan loves to have a turf tour at rivalry's house and meet, not Cowboys but Cowgirls ! :-)

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Apr 20, 2017

(3)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Apr 20, 2017

My MAN!

(1)
Bob Kusche
Apr 20, 2017

Wait til I show up in a Seattle Sea Gals uniform! Then we'll see how rigidly they enforce that dress code!!!

I went to an ESA event in 2011 at Cowboys Stadium with a tour of the security room and field-level walk-on. It was awesome and didn't require cheerleaders to accentuate the positive experience.

The only downside to the event was that we overloaded the freight elevator and got stuck for over an hour!!!

(2)
Ross Vander Klok
Apr 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I only voted like it because you did not have a love it category!  I have no interest in the cheerleaders (and not just because my wife would be with me), but being on the field and in the locker room!?!?  That would be sweet.  Not even close to being worth what they charge for the reception though.  This sounds like it would be the most interesting one since they had it at the Aquarium of the Americas in Atlanta.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 20, 2017
IPVM

ASIS notes: The President's reception is free with all-access pass and $125 as a stand alone ticket. 

Related, all-access pass pricing:

Ross Vander Klok
Apr 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Right, but I go just for the show floor and vendor meetings.  Paid too many times for, what I found to be, worthless training classes that were more marketing or buzzword filled drivel than actual trianing.  Show floor is free.....

(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 20, 2017

"Paid too many times for, what I found to be, worthless training classes that were more marketing or buzzword filled drivel than actual trianing."

Hey Ross,

I'm curious what a knowledgeable customer like yourself would find of value in regards to training at shows.

Lots of shows advertise 'training' as part of their entire event package.... but I don't think they ever ask people such as yourself what kind of training would be most advantageous - and instead, as you point out, use these sessions as a thinly-veiled marketing tool.

(1)
Ross Vander Klok
Apr 21, 2017
IPVMU Certified

That is a great question because it is not something I have ever really thought about.  

My main issue with the ASIS "training" is that it is so hit or miss.  For instance is the person leading this session a sales guy hired for the event or someone with 25 years of experience in the field that has some good insights on the subject being covered?  Another example is the ones that try to cover these 15 ideas/insights/programs/devices/whatever in the next 45 minutes and I am only interested in one of the things.  Or better yet the ones like Preventing Workplace Violence that is five minutes of good actual info with the rest being how their software/device can help.  Well, I want to know what I can do or look for to help prevent workplace violence without having to buy your device...... Even if for example the workplace violence thing is labeled as being led by a FBI agent with 35 years of experience in investigating workplace violence who wrote 17 best selling books and trains fortune 500 companies worldwide in how to deal with the issue it most often turns out they are now retired and are pushing their new consulting company or worse just regurgitates another run/hide/fight slide show.. Even if it is a knowledgeable person the 45-90 minutes they have to cover something normally isn't enough.  If it is someone who shouldn't be up there talking the 45-90 minutes feels like an eternity.  

I do like some of the round table discussion type formats they have with either industry leaders or leading end users.  I don't really see those as "training" though, but i sometimes come away from those with some actionable info.   I guess to me training that is worth my time is in-depth training on systems I currently use or am interested in using.  Not just the quick one hour this is what the device/program can do type of thing, but really digging in to it using examples of how it is being used by people who actual use it.  I realize that can be difficult during events like this because of the time commitment required, etc.  

Basically I don't go to or send my staff to any training that does not have specific agendas detailing what will be covered and what attendees will walk away knowing.  The sessions at ASIS just aren't set up for that and to pay anything more than $100 for those sessions is just not worth it to me.

Kind of  train of thought rambling there, but hopefully it makes some sense!

(2)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 21, 2017
IPVM

five minutes of good actual info with the rest being how their software/device can help. ... most often turns out they are now retired and are pushing their new consulting company

That's a structural problem for ASIS since speakers have to volunteer while ASIS gets paid.

ASIS, of course, has their rules against explicit self promotion but it's simple enough to get around. The person does not say their product but they focus on the problem and the approach that they offer, ignoring other issues or downsides of their approach. Axis, for one, is a master of this. No Lightfinder or Zipstream, etc. but talks that give the pitch for their offerings with the products and brands unstated.

(1)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Apr 20, 2017

ASIS may not know how to make their show floor better, but hey at least they know how to throw a big party.  Rent out Universal Studios in 2016, private party in the Death Star this year.  

(1)
UI
Apr 20, 2017

I'm a Dallas Cowboy's fan (for life it seems) and I love ATT stadium so this would be something I would be interested in.  Although having said that, I typically enjoy the President's reception anyway.  I suppose if you weren't a Cowboy fan you wouldn't be excited.  Now that I know where this is going to be, I may reconsider going!

(1)
Brad Peterson
Apr 21, 2017

Always enjoy a pretty lady but it would not influence my purchase.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
May 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Even all other things being equal?

JH
John Honovich
May 08, 2017
IPVM

In a new webinar, ASIS says 'field goal kicking, passing and punting' at the reception.

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #7
May 08, 2017

Sounds like ASIS is having a mid-life crisis.

(3)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #8
Jul 24, 2017

Went to the Bosch event a few years ago, and the cheerleaders were just a small part of the day.  Great tour...lots of technology...cool things to see.  The presence or lack of cheerleaders wouldn't have changed the overall experience.  Probably the best public venue tour I have experienced. 

(1)
(2)
U
Undisclosed
Jul 24, 2017

*Sigh*  ASIS (might be) a professional organization that holds a convention.  Apparently the "hold a convention" side of the task at hand gets to dominate what they do.

Lynn Harold
Jul 25, 2017

I'm no cheerleader but I can throw a good pitch!  Do I get to go to ASIS??  ;-)

Lynn Harold Throws First Pitch at Citi Field

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 25, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Southpaws are always in demand :)

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions