Subscriber Discussion

Can Cameras See Through Fog?

RV
Radu Vadeanu
Jul 16, 2015

Hi,

Please share your experience with fog / laser cameras / system for surveillance in special application.

Thx

Brian Rhodes
Jul 16, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Is the root of your question which cameras/technology performs best 'seeing' through fog?

RV
Radu Vadeanu
Jul 16, 2015
Yes, I am looking for a camera capable to se through fog. Thx
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jul 17, 2015
JVC had some of the VNH series of cameras that touted the ability of their CLVI technology. I was a former rep of theirs...
HL
Horace Lasell
Jul 17, 2015

Rather than focusing on which camera, perhaps it's worthwhile to consider which wavelengths have adequate fog penetration to support your application. Then it becomes a question of whether any affordable solution can meet your requirements.

http://www.flir.com/uploadedFiles/FOG_techNote_LR.pdf

http://ipvm.com/forums/forums/video-surveillance/topics/help-chinese-surveillance-cameras-see-through-smog

Rv
Rogier van der Heide
Jul 17, 2015

From what I've seen, the latest Bosch camera's have an anti-fog feature in their latest firmware.

Can't say I have tried it yet tho.

RV
Radu Vadeanu
Jul 17, 2015
I just got off the phone with Bosch technical support and I'll set up an test with MIC camera for next week. I'll let you know how it works. Thx
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jul 17, 2015

Sony has an anti-fog feature built in to some of their models, but personally I think it's just a gimmick. All it's doing is darkening the blacks and giving the image a little more contrast.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 17, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

I saw a demo of the Samsung Wisenet III cams at ASIS Chicago that showed off their ability to see through fog. It was pretty impressive. Keep in mind it was a trade show demo and not an actual install.

CE
Carlos Espinoza
Sep 04, 2019

Now that we're in 2019, is there a PTZ camera that can see through fog using IR, Laser or something else? I read that even Thermal Cameras can't see in grade 3 or 4 of fog.

Eugene de Geus
Oct 03, 2019

Hi Carlos, where did you read this?

I am interested in this subject for the purpose of detecting human presence. I would think that the ability to detect a "heat-signal" in fog depends on two things:

= the temperature difference between the object (human) and the background (this I believe is the basic principle, so it is true with or without fog)

= the ability of the camera to distinguish that difference even when there is a lot of attenuating material (cold water droplets) along the line of sight.

Now, I would fear that in the Netherlands people will only go out in a cold fog when dressed appropriately, i.e. dressed so that very little of their heat will escape. Thick coat, gloves, hat, etc will minimize the signal to begin with, added to which the attenuation of the fog between the person and the camera will really make detection difficult.

Any thoughts or comments on my chain of thought?

Any experiences people have would be very much appreciated.

Eugene

Clint Hays
Oct 03, 2019

I've seen Cohu cameras do well in fog before.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions