Subscriber Discussion

First Camera Install - Hikvision, LTS, Axis?

MS
Morgan Spake
Aug 23, 2016

Hello,

My very first camera install is in a garage.  Although we have installed thousands of data cables and miles of conduit this is my first time in the camera world.  So here I am spinning my brain on the "The Camera is Right" show looking at HIKVision or LTS and wondering if the client will want to spend money on Axis.  Along with the view as these are in a 200+ murder rate city... is the ease of sifting events.  I have a 20 year background in IT so most of the terms are easy to grasp.  

Which system should I be looking at?

JH
John Honovich
Aug 23, 2016
IPVM

Morgan, welcome!

Hikvision and LTS are basically the same products (see: LTS Camera and NVR Tested) with Hikvision offering more field support / service vs LTS focusing on inside / phone sales and support (See: Hikvision's Most Innovative Competitor - LTS). LTS is aggressive on price but Hikvision keeps running 20% off sales so...

The Axis / Hikvision comparison is tough. Even if your client cares about cybersecurity, Hikvision has a bad track record, does not take responsibility and is owned by the Chinese government but Axis just suffered a severe vulnerability and handled it poorly.

So, on the camera side, you may very well picking low price amongst them.

More interesting might be the VMS / recorder side. Have you decided on that? There's more differentiation there.

MS
Morgan Spake
Aug 23, 2016

John,

I'm really open to any brand... that I can get 5 cameras and a NVR for about $3500... I really just wanted a list of what I should be looking at for a garage.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 23, 2016
IPVM

5 cameras and an NVR for $3,500 gives you lots of flexibility. Even the more expensive Axis M30s (e.g., M3044 or M3045) would be $1,250 or less for the cameras, ~$600 for the Companion NVR / NAS and the Companion VMS software free.

For a garage, maybe a fisheye / panoramic camera to give an overview if there is wide open space.

(1)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #3
Sep 01, 2016

Hi John

Is Companion NVR compatible with M3044, M3045?

JH
John Honovich
Sep 01, 2016
IPVM

Yes, Companion VMS is compatible with all Axis cameras including the new M30s.

PH
Paul Haake
Aug 23, 2016

JH didn't ask what kind of garage with what kind of assets. But I agree, you can do Axis within the budget. I will be the first to say I'm not a Hik fan, but if you aren't picky about features and don't care about the Chinese manufacturing side of things - Hik is a very viable option.

For the record, I don't sell Hik and I do sell a lot of Axis.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 23, 2016

Paul does data too! In a big way.

JH is right. For that few cameras you have many options. The question is usability and support and that will come by the VMS/Recorder more than the cameras.

MS
Morgan Spake
Aug 23, 2016

My main concern is getting support... and the ability to "learn" as I earn

JH
John Honovich
Aug 23, 2016
IPVM

Morgan, if you have not already, I'd recommend calling up Axis and Hikvision and getting in touch with their RSMs / SEs in your region. See who responds / is willing to help, etc. If one shows a lot more interest / attention, that would be a big positive for the support / learning side.

MS
Morgan Spake
Aug 23, 2016

Day View 1

MS
Morgan Spake
Aug 23, 2016

Day View 2

MS
Morgan Spake
Aug 23, 2016

Ped gate 1

MS
Morgan Spake
Aug 23, 2016

Enter and exit also ped gate 2... it is day time and so dark. Should I post some night pictures?

UI
Aug 23, 2016

You are defining the need for True WDR as well as possible HDR because of typical parking garage lighting. Dark inside, bright outside reflecting off concrete.

Are you trying for license plate capture? Camera placement will help and having an experienced person walk the job will help and educate you. Whatever manufacturer you think of should have someone to do that.

MS
Morgan Spake
Aug 23, 2016

OK that is a great idea... the the MFG rep to the jobsite! :) Does Axis have true WDR?

UI
Aug 23, 2016

Almost everybody does. Just costs a little more and you really need to read the fine print.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 23, 2016

I also recommend the upcoming course offered by IPVM.

Tony Darland
Aug 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Morgan

Keep the info coming. IPVM is a great resource in your line of work. Everyone here is eager and willing to help. Good on you for reaching out and seeking advise.

(1)
Armando Perez
Aug 23, 2016
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

True Wide Dynamic Range is must here or everyone will be severely disappointed. Measured in dB, the higher the better, I would look for 130dB or better.

Matthew Netardus
Aug 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I think camera wise it's important to get a camera that can handle the huge lighting differences of a parking garage, so low light performance and WDR is pretty important. Vandal resistance also seems pretty paramount since crime prevention/forensic review seems to be the primary motivation behind the system.

If you are looking at making review as easy as possible, definitely make sure you get the right software running behind the cameras as well. Even with the best cameras out there, if you don't have a solid VMS running, review will still be challenging and time consuming

Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 01, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Just my 2 cents...

I would spend less of your budget on cameras and more of it on the recording side. Why do I say this? Because if you skimp and buy a cheap NVR, you are likely to regret buying a hard to use, limited device.

I would buy more basic, but still reliable and feature rich, cameras and pair them with a VMS that offers the features and usability that matches your client. Being an IT guy, throwing together a VMS "server" shouldn't be that hard for you. We use Lenovo ThinkServers as a barebone and add in storage. Keeps the pricing down, but is still reliable. Toss on your VMS of choice (we use DW Spectrum/NxWitness) and you are good to go.

Don't forget a decent PoE switch. Don't go too cheap here, or else you will regret not having management features, like per port power cycling, VLANS, etc.

That $3500 budget should be pretty close to buying you 5 x 4MP Hikvision cameras (stay with fixed lenses to save $), the VMS server, VMS licenses, and a decent switch. Don't forget to get matching junction boxes for the cameras to hide the whips. With that cement building, there isn't anywhere to hide them otherwise.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions