Subscriber Discussion

Verizon FIOS Blocking Ports For NVR Access?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 17, 2017

Anyone else have issues with verizon fios blocking ports for NVR access?

I have a customer that just got verizon Fios and I'm at the point of pulling my hair out getting a port opened for remote access... The router is a verizon Qualcomm router.

I'm trying to get port 9000 opened but after setting the port forward rule I still don't see the port as open. (I'm able to see the nvr using that port inside the local network.) I tried changing the port to a different port number but I'm not making any progress.

I called verizon and they sent me a replacement router. no change in result..

I called them back and they suggested that I put their router in bridge mode and use my own router past theirs. I tried that but no change in results.

I removed their router and just used mine connected directly to their modem. no change in result..

Interestingly when I enable remote access on their router (which uses port 8443) I am able to see the port as open. So I tried removing their router, installing my router, forwarding port 8443 to the NVR, but... it's showing as closed...

Any help would really be appreciated!

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help you could send my way.

JH
John Honovich
Jul 17, 2017
IPVM

#1, I don't know about FIOS and hope someone else has ideas.

One quick thing - does your NVR support a cloud or P2P service? That might be one work around instead of dealing with port forwarding.

UI
Jul 17, 2017

John, Thanks for the speedy reply!

It's a Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P, so I assume it does. I've never used either of the two that you suggested, I'd be more than happy to try those. Can you please point me in the right direction?

Thank you!

JH
John Honovich
Jul 17, 2017
IPVM

#1, Hikvision supports Hik-Connect for 'p2p', it's not totally mature but it is what Hikvision is moving towards to get away from port forwarding / DDNS.

See: Hikvision Discontinued 'Migration' / Hik-Connect Tested

UI
Jul 17, 2017

John I'll check them out.

Thanks!

Josh Hendricks
Jul 17, 2017
Milestone Systems

Does the NVR have an IP whitelist perhaps?

It sounds like you've done due diligence on the networking side, but the NVR might be rejecting the connections based on source IP.

See if you have the option to translate the source IP address in your port forwarding settings, so that the connection "looks" like it's coming from the LAN IP of the router.

You might also use a tool like Packet Sender on a PC inside the network, set it to listen on TCP 9000, and change the port forwarding rules to go to that PC. See if you still fail to make a connection using telnet or packet sender from another PC outside of the network.

UI
Jul 17, 2017

Joshua,

Thanks for the suggestion, I used packet sender and was able to get through the firewall. That got me looking back at the NVR, 

It's the stupid things that get you... While browsing through the settings I noticed that I didn't have a default gateway set up...

All good now!

Thanks again for your help!

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions