Subscriber Discussion

Field Techs, Tracking Time And Lunch Breaks

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 08, 2017

How do you manage time for field techs? We are using an app called T sheets, just started using it. What I did notice is punches before arriving one site, at home, and 2 techs at the same project having clock outs 2 hours apart...

I am addressing all of that. 

What about lunch? Doe field techs normally clock out for lunch? In our state there is no law mandating any type of lunch break.

John Scanlan
Feb 08, 2017
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

U1 - we talked about this issue here in the 'Hourly Field Employees - Is Lunch On or Off the Clock' discussion.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 08, 2017

Thanks John. That was helpful on the lunch breaks.

But how about tracking the time? Does anyone use phone based apps with GPS tracking? Since these are personal phones can I ask that they enable the GPS portion?

How about GPS on the company vehicle?

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Feb 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

But how about tracking the time? Does anyone use phone based apps with GPS tracking? Since these are personal phones can I ask that they enable the GPS portion?

You can ask but I suppose they don't have to do it.  IMO that is why a company phone is a better option.

How about GPS on the company vehicle?

We have GPS but it is only good if they travel for lunch or turn the ignition on.  If they sit in the vehicle for lunch or stay on the job site you don't know how long they take for lunch.  

Ryan Anderson
Feb 13, 2017

Take on the courageous conversations early and often! Obviously there is technology available to incorporate but it can be costly. There is field service software that allows their phone to be geolocated and only allows the tech to login to the project when they are actually there. GPS works great to get an understand of where they are at when they clock into drive time or office time.

If you have a written policy about clocking in/out, share it with your staff. Let them know the consequences and have those courageous conversations!

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions