Subscriber Discussion

Fiber Travelling Cable For Use With IP Cameras In Elevators In High Rise Buildings

Abdelhamid Metwally
Jul 31, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Anyone know of a company that makes FIBER travelling cable for use with IP cameras in elevators in high rise buildings (more than 40 floors)? Most companies I know only manufacture CAT6 or Coaxial traveling cables.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 31, 2017

Not exactly what you asked for but we have had some good luck with NVT 2 wire Ethernet adapters in elevators. http://www.nvtphybridge.com/portfolio-item/nv-ec-1701u/

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jul 31, 2017

Unfortunately I am not aware of any Fiber carrier Assembly for  Elevators . We use the RG6/U Coax traveler cable, it gives you great bandwidth and distance we have been very successful in doing this for years. Veracity has worked well in these applications. Hope this helps,

http://www.veracityglobal.com/products/ethernet-over-coax-devices/highwire-powerstar.aspx

Brian Rhodes
Jul 31, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The allowed bend radius of fiber is often so big (minimum of feet, not inches) compared to conductor-type cables, I doubt there are many/if any options to pick from.  All that movement would break/shatter the glass tube of a fiber pretty quickly.

There are WiFi products that can be used for 'long shots' in elevator shafts.  Have you looked into those?

Also Ethernet over Coax may be a welcome fit, as others have mentioned.

(1)
Abdelhamid Metwally
Jul 31, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Any suggestions for any elevator wireless products?

Brian Rhodes
Jul 31, 2017
IPVMU Certified

As a first step, get approval from the AHJ.  Some are extremely cautious/paranoid about the shaft space being used for anything other than elevator controls.

Beyond that, engaging a wireless vendor with application engineers (like Ruckus/Aruba/Fluidmesh) to get specific designs/recommendations is best.  There are too many variables that could be a factor to just decide on equipment without a survey first.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jul 31, 2017

We have used Ubiquiti with success, although not for 40+ floors.  With the distance constantly changing I would think there could be issues with the transmission power/variance in bandwidth on the min and max distances.  A coaxial based cable with adapters would be my preferred option as well I think. 

Luis Carmona
Jul 31, 2017
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

It's a shame, but elevators are another industry that has yet to catch up with some innovations on this front. We run into issues of old and questionable condition traveler cables all the time, if there are any even available. We see wireless as a viable option, too, but like Brian said there can be a good amount of resistance in red tape, and even the elevator companies aren't very helpful. Some elevator companies act like the customer should be grateful they even service their elevators, much less offer much cooperation when we're trying to install cameras or intercoms in the cabs.

(3)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Jul 31, 2017

All elevators are equipped with a pair for audio/telephone communications. An IP adaptor such as the Comnet units allow for 10/100 network link for both IP cameras and IP intercoms.  The adapters can also supply PoE power.

(1)
JE
Jim Elder
Aug 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I was just told by Otis Elevator that they now offer a CAT 6 in the traveling cable. Good if you done exceed 300 ft and you have the luxury of a  new elevator. 

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions