FAQ: NEW Research Service Vs Existing $199 Info+ Plan

JH
John Honovich
Mar 06, 2022
IPVM

On April 4, IPVM will start a new Research Service that will be priced separately from the existing IPVM $199 annual plan (to now be named Info+). Set up a 1-on-1 call now with IPVM's Head of Marketing to discuss.

The video explains the Service:

What will be included in the Research Service?

The Research Service will include products tests and shootouts plus competitive and financial analysis, helping decision-makers better evaluate purchasing, partnering, developing, and/or competing against companies in physical security.

Our Research Report directory lists existing reports that will be part of the Research Service.

Scheduled new releases this Spring and Summer include (1) Video Surveillance Manufacturer Competitive Analysis, (2) 4MP/5MP Camera Shootout, (3) IP Camera Video Analytics Shootout, (4) Manufacturer Employee Growth / Decline Tracker, (5) Cloud Access Control Shootout. Additionally, we expect to release 5 new product tests monthly and 5 - 10 new research notes per month.

What will be excluded from the $199 annual Info+ Plan?

Starting April 4, new product tests and shootouts plus certain market analysis reports (examples above) will be excluded from the $199 annual (now called Info+) plan. Existing reports, in these areas, will still be accessible by current Info+ plan subscribers but no new ones will be.

What will be included in the $199 annual Info+ Plan?

Almost everything we offer today in the $199 IPVM subscription will remain in "Info+" (news, profiles, tutorials, ebooks, the Calculator, online shows). We estimate this will be 80-90% of what we release today.

Will the $199 annual plan price be raised?

No, we are not increasing the price of the $199 annual plan. This has been the price for more than a decade, while IPVM has substantially expanded and despite inflation growing significantly.

Why not raise the price on everyone, e.g., from $199 to $299 or $399, and keep everything in one tier?

We have found only a distinct minority read our tests and market research but the cost for that reporting is incredibly higher, so rather than require everyone to pay for this, we are segmenting it out so that those that truly value it can pay for it.

For example, in the last year, only 12% of subscriber reads came from tests, so overwhelmingly what subscribers read are not tests. Moreover, tests, on average, cost 500% more than non-test reports, yet only deliver 30% more reads per report.

Nonetheless, for the minority of business decision-makers, this reporting is extremely valuable and can save or make them tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Why not sell more group plans (i.e., 20, 50, 100 logins) to larger companies?

While many companies have group plans, the general trend we have seen is that companies have one or a few senior leaders subscribe to IPVM. Often mid-tier or junior employees do not have the need to review IPVM market research as the decision making is made by the senior leaders. As such, we aim to charge organizations a premium reflecting the value that their senior leaders generate from IPVM research.

Price: What is the price of the IPVM Research Service?

The minimum organizational pricing for the Research Service will be $90 per month, with a one-year contract, for organizations with only a few employees in security, providing a single user login. Paid upfront, the annual price will be $1,000.

The maximum organizational pricing will be $900 per month, with a one-year contract, for organizations with 200+ employees in security, providing up to 5 user logins. Paid upfront, the annual price will be $10,000.

A full-price schedule will be released closer to the April 4th launch.

What about employees of companies that want access to the IPVM Research Service?

For organizations that subscribe to the IPVM Research Service, additional logins can be purchased for extended access to employees.

Senior manager (individuals with titles of director or higher) additional logins can be purchased for $180 per month.

Non-senior managers (individuals with titles lower than a director) can be purchased for $40 per month.

How will the number of employees be tracked for pricing purposes?

We will review the number of employees an organization has listed on LinkedIn and then discuss with the organization how many of those work in security-related roles. For example, a consulting firm with 1,000 employees that only has 25 individuals in its security consulting division would be categorized as having 25, for purposes of our pricing. If you have questions, set up a 1-on-1 call now with IPVM's Head of Marketing to discuss.

Why is the price based on the number of employees in security-related roles?

We want to make the IPVM Research Service accessible to both smaller and larger organizations and this is a way to scale it across various organizations.

What about individual persons or smaller businesses affording the IPVM Research Service?

The IPVM Research Service is not intended for individuals looking for consumer, residential, hobby, or DIY security.

For smaller businesses, with a starting price point of $1,000 a year, any business that does even $100,000 in sales or spending on physical security systems can benefit from the IPVM Research Service to improve decision making.

Scholarships: What scholarships or discounts are possible to access the Research Service?

We will offer scholarship options (partial and full) with an emphasis on supporting those who are top Contributors to IPVM discussions, top IPVM Certified Professionals, and those in academia. If you want to apply, contact us with a brief background of your interest.

Can those not subscribed to the Research Service purchase individual Research Service reports (a la carte)?

No. We have aimed to price the entire service at a price point that various organizations can afford. Even if we theoretically offered individual report access, it would be hundreds of dollars per report (or higher) since this is a niche, with relatively high costs for a small market base.

Can those subscribed to Info+ get access to a limited number of individual Research Service reports?

No. Those subscribed to Info+ will obtain 500+ new reports per year and access to 5,000+ report archives. That, plus our including the Calculator and Online Shows, is a compelling value for just $199 per year.

Will IPVM consult or help Research Service subscribers?

No, the IPVM Research Service is not a private consulting offering.

Yes, we will help Research Service subscribers with 1 on 1 orientation as well as recommendations on what research IPVM has available to address their interests.

Will IPVM do customized reports or prioritize reporting for Research Service Subscribers?

No, IPVM does not offer customized or private reports for Research Service subscribers.

Yes, IPVM will prioritize reporting on areas that Research Service subscribers request that are non-promotional. For example, an integrator or consultant is designing a solution for bus surveillance or outdoor robots and requests additional IPVM research. We would prioritize research and new reporting into those areas. However, if we assess the request to be too niche (e.g., security of hot air balloons), we may not cover it.

How will this impact or change IPVM's famous criticism of companies?

IPVM's criticism of companies will continue and expand. No ethical, legal, or major technical problems will be restricted to the Research Service. The Research Service will focus on technical and competitive positioning analysis that is most important to buyers, sellers, and recommenders of systems.

How can my organization sign up for the IPVM Research Service?

Unlike the $199 Info+ plan, which can be signed up online with a credit card, the IPVM Research Service requires a call with IPVM to discuss details, finalize pricing and provide a quote or invoice. Set up a 1-on-1 call now with IPVM's Head of Marketing to discuss or contact us with questions.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 06, 2022
IPVM

Thanks, everyone for the 200+ comments in the original notice thread. Above summarizes the key questions and expands on details, including incorporating feedback from the 200+ comments.

Most notably we have added a lower price for smaller organizations and a lower price for staff employees of larger companies, the two most common concerns expressed.

Below are a few other questions asked that did not make the list above but might answer some questions you have:

Of course, further questions and feedback are welcome.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Mar 06, 2022

So my choice is 199 for news items and online trade shows or 999 if I want to view articles like the 4MP/5MP shootout? Am I correct in understating that? And if so, please share the unsubscribe and refund info. Sorry, model doesn’t fit my budget.

(11)
(3)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 06, 2022
IPVM

If your organization purchases a Research Service subscription, the cost for your individual subscription (assuming you are not a Director level or higher employee) would be $40 per month and can be paid by your organization. We designed this specifically to help support employees in your category and based on your feedback.

Btw, context for others, you are the same person who recommended us to raise rates for all subscribers by $100 a year (from $199 to $299). I explained why I believe that is unfair and inappropriate here.

Anyone can unsubscribe and obtain an appropriate refund by emailing info@ipvm.com

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Mar 06, 2022

‘Hi boss, remember that subscription I wanted and you felt wasn’t a necessity?’

- yes. You are free to register yourself and pay if you like it.

’Well, they changed their mind and the feel you should pay for me. Would you like to pay 480 a year or should I pay 999 myself’

I don’t really see that working very well. If your intent was to create a model for employees of a larger company to be able to register by themselves, this is not a great fix.

If our boss was paying we wouldnt have have this issue, so changing to a model that allows my boss to pay 480, still expects me to change his mind. And now at 480. Sorry, it doesn’t help.

(6)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 06, 2022
IPVM

If your intent was to create a model for employees of a larger company to be able to register by themselves, this is not a great fix.

I've listened to your feedback and adjusted the model to make it more conducive to the general scenario you are in.

However, it's impossible to create a pricing model that everyone is satisfied with, especially since you have made clear the IPVM Research Service is only worth $100 per year to you. I do appreciate your feedback.

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #10
Apr 06, 2022

Yep, that conversation going to happen a lot over the next year.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 06, 2022
IPVM

As a point of fact, subsequently, #1 did get Info+ access from his company.

I think it is good for both sides that employees talk to their companies about the value of IPVM and that companies should be paying for expenses, like IPVM, that employees use to create business value for their employers.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Mar 06, 2022

I posted a few times about how I don’t like this because I work for a big company that doesn’t pay for it but love the reports. After the dialogue with you over this and the details here, I’m officially at peace with it, hahaha. Will push to get the Research tier and my level and one level down access, and will see how it goes. Appreciate the transparency and effort!

(1)
(2)
UE
Undisclosed End User #3
Mar 06, 2022

What I am trying to understand is why many people have their panties all in a bunch about the changes coming to IPVM. Many of you on here are owner/operators of your own business, especially small ones with less than 10 employees. Its takes the same money/revenue to expand and grow which John and IPVM have done since 2008.

It all started with John and a few others and now has grown to a very reputable firm that produces valued content for our industry. There is no other unbiased source that is not Pay to Play. Look where they are now, they have a facility to house the IPVM employees, build a a quality lab to play and test in and have expanded the products they provide content on.

Operational costs are just like the ones you as a business owner face to stand up, launch and grow. For the small business do you offer benefits or just 1099 the workers who are now really sub-contractors and not employees?

• Payroll
    • Payroll Taxes
    • Workers Comp
    • Employee Benefits (if you offer them)
  • Office/HQ Building
    • Lease/Own
    • Maintenance
    • Utilities
    • Local Business Licenses/Permits
  • Local, State and Federal Taxes
  • Hosting IPVM for our surfing pleasure
  • Purchasing Products for Testing
    • Maintaining Current Product Updates (SLA/SMA)

Those are just a few I can think of off the top of my head. Also John is good at pointing out the larger outfits benefit at the lower cost of what many of us might pay so trying to level the playing field for the same content makes sense. It does put some of us in a pinch and we might not be able to pay for the new subscription fee but I am sure you will still find great value in what you get for $199. As John stated, many of us don't read all the reports, I myself only read what is of value to my focus, primarily cyber related.

One final note, as a IPVM member I have worked in both manfacuring and Enterprise End User type roles, I have NEVER asked my employer to pay/sponsor my subscription. The reason behind this is that IPVM has the comments section which I love to read. Its my personal forum for education and sometimes entertainment (the TMZ of Security), what I comment on DOES NOT reflect the values of my current employer at the time. That being said I still need to do it as 'Undisclosed' because many of you cannot make that assumption that my comments are mine and not that of my employer, we have a media person for that.

(1)
(2)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Mar 09, 2022

My only concern is that my budget is set for this year. I might have been able to swing this in my budget planning process, but given the short notice I'm not going to have to miss out on the goods until 2023.

(2)
(2)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 09, 2022
IPVM

#4, that's a fair concern. We will work with you and any other small to medium-size company that has short-term budgeting constraints to help ensure you can have access before 2023. Please set up a call with Mark or email him mark @ ipvm.com as he is managing this.

UE
Undisclosed End User #5
Mar 16, 2022

Are there any plans/options for NFPs/NGOs? $199 yearly was a big stretch for us, speaking transparently. I definitely see value in the research, but fighting budgets/funding is always tough.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 16, 2022
IPVM

#5, for sure, thanks for suggesting / raising this! I'll email you and Mark, he can help you with this.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Mar 17, 2022

What will I, as a 1 man gig, have to pay for the new service?

(1)
MS
Mark Simon
Mar 17, 2022
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

Hi UI6, the price for single person companies, is $90/month or $1,000/year.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Mar 17, 2022

I understand what you guys are doing, and the value that comes with it, but I too am in the group that sees the most value from what is being heavily increased in price.

If I were part of a larger company, then the cost would absorbed more easily, but when you lump a single person into a pricing scheme designed for up to 9 people, that’s a massive difference in yearly sales, and instead of gaining more money from me, will most likely lose me all together :(

(8)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #7
Mar 17, 2022

Just to add my 2cents, and in no way am I complaining as I know we all have to make business decisions. Unfortunately for me and my organization, the cost of the Research service plus the Info+ group costs will now have to be evaluated with this change. My org. found the most value from the calc and comparison tools, combined with the technical research service. Looking at my initial calcs, I'm not seeing the ROI with having to maintain both subscriptions for what we use your services for. I'm thinkin we will ride out the remainder of this year's group subscription and make an evaluation before the next renewal. That's a huge jump to justify.

(2)
(2)
MS
Mark Simon
Mar 17, 2022
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

Hi UI7, the camera calculator and comparison tools are staying in the $199/year Info+ subscription.

UI
Mar 17, 2022

Thanks, that is understood. We are on the small group membership @$510 per year currently. From what I understand, to maintain the same level of information we had with this subscription we will be increasing our cost to ~$1510 per year for our membership. Being a 200% increase, this will have to be evaluated.

(1)
MS
Mark Simon
Mar 17, 2022
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

From what I understand, to maintain the same level of information we had with this subscription we will be increasing our cost to ~$1510 per year for our membership.

Your group will continue to get access to 90% of IPVM for your current rate of $510. To continue accessing 100% of IPVM, yes there is an increase.

The Research service price is based on company size, and $1,000/year is for a single person at companies with 9 employees or less. It is more for 3 people to have access and larger companies. I can go over your specific situation on a call so you have all the information for evaluation. Please set up a call with me or email, mark at ipvm dot com.

UI
Mar 17, 2022

Thanks for your response. We will continue to use your service for the remainder of this year (our subscription renews in Dec) so we can evaluate the value we are personally getting from IPVM with the changes. We will be in contact if we need pricing. Personally, I'm seeing a huge value loss here, but we will give it a fair try.

(3)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #8
Mar 17, 2022

I have a hard time seeing the value in what's left after you take away new product tests and shootouts plus certain market analysis reports. These items specifically were the great value of IPVM. So for me this is absolutely a price hike despite claim that its not and the price was near top of what we were willing to sustain as it was. I'm quite sad to see this change.

(7)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 17, 2022
IPVM

new product tests and shootouts plus certain market analysis reports. These items specifically were the great value of IPVM

#8, Before I started IPVM, I ran product management for a manufacturer, so I still look at a lot of what we do from that perspective. I would have easily paid many thousands of dollars for the type of technical and market analysis IPVM provides since it would make me so much better at identifying deficiencies in my products, planning out new features, and matching up against my competitors.

Yes, it is effectively a price hike for people who work in product management or engineering but the value we provide so far exceeds it, it's easily worth paying. Of course, each company will determine that for themselves but that's the perspective I am bringing to this. Happy to hear feedback or answer any questions.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #8
Mar 17, 2022

Yes. good point. We had many on the subscription that now we need to re-consider. But certainly there is a set of users for which the new price level is justified.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 17, 2022
IPVM

Yes, that makes sense about reconsidering different people on the subscription.

What we have seen is that salespeople (which are a significant portion of our subscribers) are generally happy with Info+ (i.e., news, company profiles, discussion) that center around business happening. Either way, the report directory now tags all articles as being either Info+ or Research, e.g. highlighted below:

IPVM Image

Marco Sanchez
Apr 06, 2022

I would say that the Info+ does not cover what I personally would be interested in, which is the research reports. I completely understand charging the larger corporations/manufacturers that take advantage of these reports. However, for an individual (like myself) whose company does not pay for his subscription, it is quite the hike that of course my CFO (wife) is probably not going to let me make.

Any accountants here? Would this be something one could write off as a business expense at the end of the year?

What would be the cut off on seeing how it goes time wise? In other words if I see that I am not utilizing the service as much due to not paying for Research and cancel my subscription, how far back would the refund go? Most likely would not want the refund as the cost is pretty minimal and I also understand you have a business to run and I would want this publication to keep my money, especially after all of the positive change that was brought about on the Chinese Government owned companies.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 06, 2022
IPVM

Would this be something one could write off as a business expense at the end of the year?

Here's how the IRS defines that:

To be deductible, a business expense must be both ordinary and necessary. An ordinary expense is one that is common and accepted in your industry. A necessary expense is one that is helpful and appropriate for your trade or business. An expense does not have to be indispensable to be considered necessary.

As an example, ASIS considers membership payments to be tax-deductible, in line with the IRS definition:

Deductibility– Contributions or gifts to ASIS International (and to its chapters - if applicable) are not tax deductible as charitable contributions for U.S. Federal income tax purposes. However, they may be tax deductible as ordinary and necessary business expenses

My non-CPA, non-IRS opinion is that IPVM would be tax-deductible.

That said, as I have said elsewhere, I think companies should pay for their employees as IPVM benefits the company. Having individuals pay themselves is unfair to the employee and to us (companies have money and are in the business of spending money to make money).

the cost is pretty minimal

That's my point about keeping it (Info+) at $199. I know many would love to have everything for $199 but $199, in 2022, and with rapid inflation, for all that we still include in Info+ is a great deal for anyone in the business, emotions aside.

What would be the cut off on seeing how it goes time wise?

Until your next renewal + 30 days after.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 17, 2022
IPVM

We now have a video explaining the service and the rationale behind it:

This is a concise version of yesterday's webinar presentation. Again, any feedback or questions, please let us know.

U
Undisclosed #9
Mar 18, 2022

Unfortunately a 500% price increase for what (initially at least) is exactly the same service, is a deal breaker for me and I have cancelled my subscription renewal. Perhaps you have enough companies willing to pay this to make it work and if so it may well be the right commercial decision, but I expect you will lose many new and existing individual subscribers.

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 18, 2022
IPVM

I expect you will lose many new and existing individual subscribers.

For the record, we are at 26 canceled subscribers citing this change in the 3 weeks since we first announced this.

I don't want people to cancel but we also can't justify doing in-depth testing at $199 per person per year. We could, e.g., raise rates on everyone (e.g., a number of people suggested raising everyone's rate to $299) but I am sure we would have many more cancel over such a change since our engagement numbers show only a distinct minority are primarily using IPVM for these (far more expensive to produce) resources.

I am sorry this does not work for you, please stay in touch and if you ever reconsider, we are happy to discuss options.

Max Protein
Apr 05, 2022

Subscription over ad supported model is a must for ipvm!! Do NOT switch to ad supported as your credibility will swirl slowly down the toilet.

Also a logical choice to offer two membership tiers. Grow your revenue and continue to provide non-ad supported content!! Lesser of two evils from readers’ point of view.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 05, 2022
IPVM

Do NOT switch to ad supported

Yes, we are not switching to or doing ads.

UE
Undisclosed End User #11
Apr 07, 2022

Feedback: The difficulty from an end user perspective as I may only be interested in the research tool for one product a year. I joined IPVM to become an informed buyer and not just take the word of a sales person with a specific product line to pitch. Requiring a year's "research" subscription to access one article doesn't make business sense to me, so I will continue to press the sales/integrators to do their due diligence and provide me feedback from 1) their own research in the field and 2) results from tests they may have received from IPVM. Disappointed, but will continue to use some of the tools and articles as available.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 07, 2022
IPVM

Requiring a year's "research" subscription to access one article doesn't make business sense to me

Part of it is how much you spend on video surveillance. If you are only buying $10,000 worth of products and services, IPVM Research Service won't make sense. If you are buying a million dollars, it might make a lot of sense.

How else could we help you? What can we do where you spending a few thousand dollars on IPVM can help you spend tens of thousands less on products or pick products that save you tens of thousands, etc.? I don't know if that will be the case for you specifically but that is what we are aiming for, rather than having to do this research for just $199 a year for corporate end users.

Max Protein
Apr 07, 2022

How large is the corporate customer market that can afford the "research" tier? What's the addressable market? I'm assuming you've performed this analysis and a 2-tier membership makes financial sense.

The move is ultimately very unfortunate for the smaller SMB guys/gals out there!

JH
John Honovich
Apr 07, 2022
IPVM

How large is the corporate customer market that can afford the "research" tier?

There's minimally tens of thousands of corporations and government entitites that spend hundreds of thousands of dollars a year on surveillance systems. With any business or offering, you can debate estimating what percentage of that market one ultimatelly can achieve.

Ultimately, it's far more sustainable delivering our Research to a smaller number of organizations that more highly value it than a larger group who only want to spend $20 a month on it.

The move is ultimately very unfortunate for the smaller SMB guys/gals out there!

It starts at $90 a month. I think any SMB can spend an extra $90 per month. Whether IPVM is worth it, depends on what they do and what we offer. But if they focus on video surveillance or access control, I am confident that in the next year most will be able to make the case of how that $90 per month significantly benefits them.

JL
Joey Leone
May 03, 2022

Thank you for this very detailed and frank explanation.

This is very un-fortunate for my use case. CCTV and mainly Axis cameras are a hobby of mine (that has grown over the past 15x years to where i now manage 47x "online" Axis cameras- as my family owns ~ 15x properties where i have installed the cameras).

I certainly consider myself a pro-user of axis cams (i have developed and run my own custom axis .eap apps , written web apps that display data from the cams in real time, and make use of milestone NVR- as all 43x cams are recorded over the internet, via VPNs to a VMware cluster at my office). Im in the Network Engineering and Coding field, by trade. ( ^ all background to show im not your average DIY cctv user).

Im clearly in the minority as i *ONLY* use IPVM for their best of breed camera and product reviews. (my goal is always to verify that the axis models i use/upgrade-to are the best possible IP camera i can aquire, anywhere).

(im "in the minority" RE:

>For example, in the last year, only 12% of subscriber reads came from tests

)

I have sub'd to the 200$ a year once or twice in the past and loved it, but could not justify it for the few times i visit the site. I was ecstatic when the $20 / mo plan came out and signed up immediately!

I guess my point here is that in some edge-cases there is more alot of value a sub can bring to IPVM other than their payment. (i know IPVM is aware of this, and that they DO value their subs beyond the $ - this is not a criticism ). IE: discussions, comments, user-to-user messages, forum posts.

I have used the excellent IP cam Calculator/layout tool and product finder tools, but dont use them enough to justify the 20$ a mo. (as stated, im here for the reviews). I still use visio for my wiring / cam layouts (and LucidCharts more recetnly). I learned about this change when i got to the comments part of the new Axis Q3536-LVE review https://ipvm.com/reports/new-axis-q35-tested)

I will do a call with the marketing head just to see i something can be worked out, and to provide proof of my qualifications stated above (if needed). However i will have to (sadly!) cancel if i cant maintain a 20-30$/mo price and with access to product reviews.

AG
Aiden Gonzalez
May 03, 2022
IPVMU Certified

Hey Joey. Thanks for the feedback here.

The Research Service is definitely intended to provide a competitive edge for organizations rather than be of interest to individuals. As a result, testing is available now only via Research Service subscription.

The majority of our written material, as well as access to the Camera Calculator (that you mentioned) remain in Info+, as do the online shows and the e-Books and tutorials. Additionally, you can now search by report type here: IPVM Reports. A lot of value remains in Info+, especially for the price, but we do understand that it doesn't fit everyone's use case. If you'd like a refund, please reach out to support@ipvm.com and we'll process that for you.

If you'd like to schedule that call, please use this link instead (the one in the top of this thread is no longer active): Calendly

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions