Subscriber Discussion

Fall Protection Preference For Installing Cameras

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 24, 2016

I'm looking for fall protection but am clueless about design, brand reliability/quality etc. It's for working on rooftops (installing PTZ's) sort of thing. No real hanging over the side of the building sort of thing.

If you have a preference or, do's/don't for selecting the proper gear please feel free to provide advise. Thanks in advance.

UI
Aug 24, 2016

Maybe I should explain further... its for working on rooftops (installing PTZ's) sort of thing. No real hanging over the side of the building sort of thing.

Brian Rhodes
Aug 24, 2016
IPVMU Certified

As a matter of 'user psychology', protection only is effective if worn. Some employees hate 'being forced to wear uncomfortable PPE' which leads to them not wearing it/using it out of rebellion.

Instead, tell employees that your company will buy 'Model X' harness at $67 for their use, or they can use that $67 as a credit towards whichever harness they pick. That way, if they want the $200 'kevlar Dwayne Johnson signature model', the company is still covering part of the cost but they can pick the one they prefer.

In my experience, this leads to greater use of PPE, which is the goal.

(2)
UI
Aug 24, 2016

Noted, however I would hope that common sense would prevail. Oh wait, did I just say that?

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Aug 24, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Agreed, fall harnesses tend to be appreciated differently than safety glasses and earplugs, but sometimes "fool's courage" amazingly overrides common sense when work is elevated.

:)

Ari Erenthal
Aug 24, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

I had one job where wearing any kind of PPE was ridiculed as being unmanly. Yes, even the guy who suffered a pretty bad eye injury joined in. I gave in to peer pressure for the longest time until, one day, I said the hell with it. Wore eyepro and gloves every day after that (that I bought with my own money).

(1)
(1)
Brian Rhodes
Aug 24, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I've worked with machinists nicknamed 'Stumpy' and electricians nicknamed 'Sparky' because of this same 'unmanly' dynamic.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 24, 2016
IPVM

I had one job where wearing any kind of PPE was ridiculed as being unmanly.

Relive Ari's experiences below:

(1)
(3)
Ari Erenthal
Aug 25, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Accurate. Specifically the guy at 2:15.

U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 25, 2016
IPVMU Certified

...one day, I said the hell with it. Wore eyepro and gloves every day after that (that I bought with my own money).

You've inspired me, I'm not trading macho for workplace safety again! From this day on I resolve to always use my mouse pad's wrist support...

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 24, 2016

the retractable ones were super nice, they really were great. As for harnesses, they all suck, its just a matter of finding the one that doesn't crush your balls. I have worn the strap kind, they are a bit of a pain to get on and off compared to the vest type. Does all of your locations have a clamp in ring to tie your harness off at? you still need an approved tie off point to strap on to.

UI
Aug 24, 2016

OK that's good to know about the retractable lanyard. Unknown about the tie-off point at this time but thanks for bringing that up, I'll look into it.

MC
Marty Calhoun
Aug 24, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Have you taken the EM-385-1-1 fall protection course required for competent person on DOD jobs as of Sept 1, 2016?

Take a look there first.

UI
Aug 25, 2016

Great information, thanks Marty.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Aug 11, 2022

Can this Fall Protection topic be revisited or perhaps given the "in-depth" treatment like some other topics covered, like preferred/safe ladder use, Access Control toolset, etc.?

I would like to know more about how fall protection is normally address in our industry (camera mounting, conduit runs up the sides and on top of buildings). This is a topic worth educating IPVM users and boiling down the practical versus the theoretical use of fall protection. It may save someone's life.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions