Subscriber Discussion

Facial Recognition PPF Standards And Testing Recommendations

SB
Sal Bonetto
Mar 14, 2017
CannonDesign

Are there industry standards for PPF for facial recognition? Also I just read a blog for acceptance testing which is mostly subjective. Does anyone have metrics that can be utilized in commissioning of a Video Surveillance system?

JH
John Honovich
Mar 14, 2017
IPVM

Andrew, facial recognition is typically measured in pixels between the eyes. Different vendors have varying claims / requirements - e.g., 35 pixels between the eyes is a common low, 100 pixels between the eyes is a common high. Assuming ~3 inches between the eyes, that translates to 105 to 400ppf.

Of course, accuracy also varies significantly so hard to pin down a single standard PPF number.

How are you using the facial recognition in video surveillance? That would help us give you better feedback on metrics or testing to use.

SB
Sal Bonetto
Mar 14, 2017
CannonDesign

John,

I am using the cameras for exterior and interior coverage of a school. The video is not being viewed live and only used as evidence when incidents arise. I asked for facial recognition as a starting point to establish expectations. I am not using it for Biometric access control. 

JH
John Honovich
Mar 14, 2017
IPVM

only used as evidence when incidents arise

Andrew, so you are using facial recognition then for search / investigations? As in show me what other faces look like this one in the incident or?

exterior and interior coverage of a school

Btw, I would be cautious about exterior coverage / facial recognition. Two reasons: varying sun levels and wide distances typical in exterior cameras. The combination tends to be make facial recognition difficult or worse for exterior cameras.

Also, have you picked a specific facial recognition supplier? I ask because unlike cameras, facial recognition is less mature and performance varies much more significantly.

SB
Sal Bonetto
Mar 14, 2017
CannonDesign

Yes it will be used for search and investigations. The intent is to identify who is involved with the incident.

Agreed about exterior coverage being subject to environmental conditions. I am looking for PPF in an ideal circumstance and I can explain the difference but I need an industry guideline as a starting point.

Any thoughts on part 2 of my question on industry guidelines for commissioning a video surveillance system? 

Brian Rhodes
Mar 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hello Andrew:

We have a checklist of video commissioning tasks: Surveillance Commissioning / Install Checklist

If you have any questions or feedback on that, please ask.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 14, 2017
IPVM

I am looking for PPF in an ideal circumstance and I can explain the difference but I need an industry guideline as a starting point.

There is no industry guideline or standard for this. Different facial recognition providers are going to cite different metrics but they may also have wildly different performance levels. That's why I asked about who you have picked. The provider may require 100ppf minimum or 200, etc.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions