Subscriber Discussion

Facial Indentification Inside Of Vehicles

TU
Tony Uhl
Nov 28, 2016

I have a high end community that has had a couple Bentley's and a Ferrari stolen out of residents driveways. They are asking me to provide a proposal for capturing faces of people in the front seat of vehicles as they exit the community. There are 2 lanes exiting and the vehicles are traveling slowly since there is a barrier gate in each lane for exiting.

There is an NVR in place running DW Spectrum software and I can get wiring where needed (High or low voltage).

I spoke with a few product reps and they don't have good solution for me that will work reliably. I know if I just stick a Wide Dynamic megapixel camera there my results will not be very good. The community is in South Fl and the vehicles are exiting to the west. Lighting is typical for a gated community at night and not great.

Has anyone ever done this successfully or is there a product designed specifically for this application? I know on toll roads there is a burst of white light that I assume helps penetrate the windshield and reduce glare? I spoke with Raytec and they weren't able to help.

Thanks, Tony

JH
John Honovich
Nov 28, 2016
IPVM

Tony, polarizing filters might help. From our Polarizing Filters on HD Camera Test:

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 28, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Also, the less angle difference between the windshield and the lens, the less glare.

(1)
VG
Vlad Georgescu
Nov 28, 2016

i would sugest using a induction (magnetic) loop to trigger some HQ snapshots (JPEGS) or MJPEG stream from the camera. In this way you will be able to avoid motion blur artefacts, etc.

Michael Silva
Nov 29, 2016
Silva Consultants

A couple of years back, we evaluated a system called DriverCam that was specifically designed to be used to view inside of cars to capture facial images. The client ended up not buying the system, but I was pretty impressed with its performance during the demos. The company's engineers appeared to have studied the challenges of seeing through auto glass (glare, tinting, etc.) quite thoroughly and seemed to be real experts on the subject.

Not sure where this system is at today, but might be worth a look.

(5)
TU
Tony Uhl
Nov 29, 2016

Thank you everybody. I think I will call DriverCam and see what they say. Unless I have something like that I have a feeling it will be very unreliable and not something I would install. I will post back and let you know what they tell me.

RR
Richard Ramsowr
Nov 30, 2016

And that system does work well... as does all of your line!

Rick

Paul Grefenstette
Nov 29, 2016

Can you position the camera to capture the face of the driver/passenger from the side window as they leave the property past the guard gate? You might have more success from there instead of trying to go thru the windshield

U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 29, 2016

Would multiple camera angles be needed. The driver could always turn away from the direction of the camera (if they know were it is). Also - If the thieves are smart enough, they wear a hoodie or a hat along with sunglasses or something making it very difficult to identify the driver.

(1)
RR
Richard Ramsowr
Nov 30, 2016

John, can we exchange contact info on here?

Please advise...

Ric

JH
John Honovich
Nov 30, 2016
IPVM

John, can we exchange contact info on here?

You can message others who have that enabled. See here to enable messaging.

TU
Tony Uhl
Dec 01, 2016

I called the Drivercam company Tuesday and today. I did not get an answer and left messages both times. I have not heard back from them.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions