Subscriber Discussion

Exterior Conduit In Variable Climate

Michael Ventiere
Sep 08, 2016

I'm designing a fiber optic PIDS for a correctional application and want to run the backbone cable in conduit on the fence. In the past the client has had a terrible experience with the conduit in use on the site expanding and contracting, as the weather changes from one extreme to the other. I'd like to design this problem out for them. 

I believe Fiberglass actually expands more than PVC or coated Steel conduit. Does anyone in the community have a product they like for these kinds of applications? 

Michael Silva
Sep 08, 2016
Silva Consultants

When running rigid metal conduit on the exteriors of buildings, we typically specify expansion fittings that are intended to handle this issue. We never allow the use of PVC conduits for these types of runs because after a few months they end up looking like a piece of limp spaghetti.

Michael Ventiere
Sep 08, 2016

Great info. Thank you for the feedback. I'll certainly steer clear of the PVC. Any experience with fiberglass conduits? From what I understand they can be more cost effective in terms of installation costs, TCO, as well as service life and that despite the fact that they expand and contract more than steel, expansion fittings can be very effective.

Michael Silva
Sep 08, 2016
Silva Consultants

I have not yet used fiberglass conduits, so can't offer any opinions on these.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions